Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invite Only Tribes LAN Party

Options
  • 09-04-1999 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭

Posted this b4 just to tell everyone smile.gif

This weekend I'm installing the first part of a server into my house
    [centre]
    1st tribes LAN party coming this summer**
    [/centre]

[centre]

Invite only

Over 18's event smile.gif
    ID will be required smile.gif
    NO DRUGS OF ANY TYPE
    [/centre]

I'll give yis plenty of notice, for brit from the UK and you rural folks, also older members might have to get permission from your other halfs and/or childern .

I live in South Dublin BTW

Throw down a post with ideas, suggestions and opinions/objections please.

[em]vagga
    Offical Pary King
    Irish Tribes Community

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭YuM

Well with Ray's quakefest down the tubes I figure there a hole in my schedule wink.gif

How'd ya get an invite ?

I presume its a bring ur own PC type thing..

whats the story with Beer & ciggies ? you the house proud type? hehe..

is it a one day or a W/E thing.

Do you have a huge Muthafuker black child eatin dog ?

what size lan u plannin on 16 / 32 ..

thats about it for moment....

YuM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Myself and the ITG [1] do this sort of thing an AWFUL lot - you can count on lots of CAT5, Thinwire, and a few servers if ya need them. smile.gif

Is caffeine classed as a drug? If so you're screwed.. smile.gif

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Jade

No Drugs ?

Pah, forget it then, your not the only one with a network, but you seem to be the only one who enforces that rule tongue.gif

-[EM]-Jade-,
    Teeths Tribal Girlfriend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Jade

BTW, Which one looks better ?

[EM]Jade
    [EM]Vagabond
    [EM]Dr. Teeth
    [EM]Dar

or....

-[EM]-Jade-
    -[EM]-Vagabond-
    -[EM]-Dr.Teeth-
    -[EM]-Dar-

I rest my case, my dashes stay.

-[EM]-Jade-,
    Teeths Tribal Girlfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Drugs are hash, acid, coke whatever else

you can smoke, chew and whatever else with ta-bacce all you want

(I have some issues with drugs, bad history and whatnot, best not to go into it, just say, if I do see ppl with them I have been known to over react, lets leave it there smile.gifplus its my party and my gaff, I'll cry if I want to smile.gif)

you will HAVE to drink and awful lot, as that is my bag baby !(evil coctails brewed in the depts of hell - ie:- my kitchen)

I was planning a 16 person event over a weekend (one hub and only house space really for 16 - 20 pcs) as ppl will be coming and going over time there should not be great ppl pressure.

By that stage I reckon EM will have 16 or more members if it keeps going at this rate...(team mates will have prefrence - but as I said no one is going to be around for the whole weekend so ppl can come and go smile.gif)

Any1 can go, it'll be open house, as long as I know who they are in advance {I feel this is fair enuf init?} (IE:- there will be no strangers to me at the party - worried bout equiptmet and general possessions, dont know how the quake ppl got around this?, I have parties all the time but have never had one with a few grands worth of equiptment there, and of all the guests I would know, er, at the moment, none to see)

I currently have 2 pc's capable of running tribes and the server, and recon I could get 2, if pushed, from work(would need voodoos - tribes sucks without), so unless only 3 people come smile.gifit will be a bring your own computer affair (while leaving a bit of flexibility for rural and foreign types).

[em]vagga

• Advertisement

Ah think about it Jade, a whole day without any of man's main vices - Alcohol, Drugs, Smokes and Women [*]! A perfect time for us to do what we were really put here for - indulging our competitive and aggressive pack instincts by killing anyone who isn't in our tribe. smile.gif

And of course [EM]Dr. Teeth looks better, you muppet.

Teeth.

[*] Apart from Froggy, are there any other girlies into Tribes around here? It's depressing that so few of them are - it just reinforces my fear that we're all abnormal sad no-life geeks. smile.gif Girlies are good. More girlies please.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yeah count me in for this.

I can supply you with a 16 port hub for the weekend. I also have a pp180 with96MB's of Ram that could be used as a server (depending on the spec neededfor the server).

Gandalf.

16 people? How big is your house! I live in a fairly standard detached 4-bed, and our limit is 8 (2 on kitchen table, 3 on dining table, 1 on coffee table, 2 upstairs smile.gif ). 16 people means a LOT of power, and a LOT of space for tables/chairs. But if it's to be a Tribes gathering, less than 16 will be no fun. smile.gif

Teeth.

Oh yeah..

1. Only allow someone to come if their ethernet card works, only allow them enter the house if their ethernet card works, only allow them plug-in if their ethernet card works, only allow them put their coke in the fridge if their ethernet card works, only allow them go to the loo if their ethernet card works. In short, make sure your ethernet card works kiddies. If I hear the phrase "Does anyone have a driver disk for the 3cXXX?" again I'll freak out. smile.gif

2. Give people their IP address and the workgroup name before they arrive, don't try to use DHCP - you'll either annoy people, or they'll ignore you and use .69 smile.gif

3. People found overclocking their ethernet cards are to be viciously frowned at.

4. Get a reeeally big fridge.

5. Put the local Pizza, Chinese, and Chipper places on speed-dial.

6. put more stuff here..

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭ChungKing

Oh, phew! I thought you meant no beer.... let my heart slow down smile.gif

btw, Teeth, I have an ethernet card on my pc, but have never networked it or used it, nor do i have much experience in networking - i know PCs pretty well, so I'm not a dolt (sez i) but just not familiar with linking up pcs.
    I leave that to the tech sup people supporting our lan, while i do da fancy coding smile.gif

any tips/sites to check out so I can educate myself? (such as ensuring your ethernet card works..)

Otherwise I'll have a chat with the boyz here in tech sup.

Btw, vagga i hope you have space for my momma 21 inch monitor ! smile.gif if it happens soon enough i'll have a spare 8Mb voodoo2 3dfx card (which I'm willing to sell cheap if any of you want it). see I got a 12mb one but it seems you can SLI them if they have different memory DOH!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭YuM

That a PCI or AGP card CK ?

BTW did I mention that I can get Booze and Vodka in any quanity (one bottle to 100,000 bottles)and the cheapest(ligit smile.gif) prices in Ireland(ie cheaper than duty free).

I worked for one of Irelands largest drinks wholesalers for 5 years part time.

Let the Good times roll smile.gif

with regards to house space.....
    3 around kitchen table
    2 in other kitchen places
    2/3 around living room table
    2 in My computer room
    2 in my bed room (see teeths post asking for birds to come smile.gif)
    8/10 in Oul ones work room

I reckon I could fit 20 at a sweeze, but will leave it at 16 at a smaller squeeze. Originally 10 ppl lived in our house now it is 2 smile.gif we have loads of room. One prob is that it will leave drinkin space at a premium, but leave that with me.

[em]vagga
    Lord of the PAR-TAEEE

Sorry you doubt me brother rabbit, the chipper, 3 ching chong and 2 pixxa companies are already on speed dial. Menus are b-side the phone.

I reckon we will need miles and miles of cat cable, surely between all of us we gan get it though,
    One hub right,
    One funk off NT server,
    or
    What about 2 medium servers and a router cisco of course),
    I can gat a few spare network cards.
    I am forgetting something arent I.......

But by the sounds of it we could do this if needed in my house with none of my equiptment smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Count me in...

I can bring a PC, naturally enough.... Also:

an 18-port Network hub, with two BNC ports if we need them;

Ethernet cards for anyone who doesn't have one;

Crimping tools etc;

And possibly some UTP cable, although don't hold me to that as it may be stuck in the ceiling at this point... smile.gif

Oh yeah, and probably a selection of Shinji's Famous Party Snacks, if ye want... smile.gif

Mata ne!
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dupre

When exactly is the lan party planned for ?
    Have big-**** off examinations looming, but will be able to make it if its after mid-June.

Also, are you sure you're gonna fit 16 people into your gaff ? smile.gif
    We've only managed 8 people in a single house at a time, although the kitchen was still free, and we did have that backup plan of chucking Teeths and Ehldas life-time personal belongings out onto the street to make more room (Erichs idea, that wink.gif )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SeP

can i come?
    please??
    ill be good tongue.gif

im intent on whooping u all with my sniper rifle, and gettin onto the irish team (EM, its the only one haha)

You guys will have to trust me on the whole space thing - on inspection want I may need is chairs tho !

Hmmm.

Vagga, where in Dublin you live? I have a biggish apartment taken for the summer on the southside, so I could probably put up a fair few bods there... Sep has already offered to share the double bed with me... tongue.gif

might ease the load on your kitchen table loike... smile.gif

Mata ne!
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Sep is sleeping on his Kitchen Table?

ye, after the sho....hang on

rofl hobbes smile.gif

/me winks at shinji

can ppl scrounge PC's of u big nerd types in the big_old_city for bog_ppls ??

• Advertisement

I have a biggish apartment taken for the summer
    who r u the sultan of brunei !
    I am in rathfarhham, I reckon you could be in Rathfarnham Villige R U, castle gate I think its called?

To be honest sep, never having taken part in the whole quake thing, i dont know your rep, but you r so appoligethic (whooooo spelling, even for me smile.gif)you must have one, but I dont see one reason why you would not be there smile.gif

suppose date wise then, what about a weekend, late June early July. Those with date issues post em here or mail me.

/me looks at Brit and the boggers (and suppose chung too as he is never round at the weekend smile.gif)

BTW hope the boss will let you out to play for the weekend chung smile.gif

I had not planned to host all 16 ppl for beds n **** I can handle the puters and a few people but surely the whole community thing comes in here......so basically shinji yer stung smile.gif

[em]vagga

PS: I reslise hes the boss n all, and that its good for us too but, JESUS CHRIST does teeth get wound up during games r what? I can wait to see his reactions in the flesh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Suds

i will come along but... not if sep is there - apologetic or not... Never!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I would luv to go to it, but it is looking very dodgy atm 4 me:/
    What with college work experience startin mid-June and the fact that my puter mightn't get transport. Although if these issues can be sorted, then you can count me in.

[EM]OSiriS

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

I can come if you scrap the 18+ rule smile.gif

ah gwan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭ChungKing

This sounds like a serious laugh so you can count me in smile.gif - i mean my flat's lease runs out in may, and my work contract ends in June, but apart from that i shouldn't be too busy, unless i don't get renewed or unless i get offered a kick-ass contract in outer mongolia or something like that smile.gif

anyway, late june, early july would be cool.

this weekend i probably won't see youse much - froggy is over from london and we'd fight each other over who gets to use the PC! I promised her i'd let her log on & watch her play & give her suggestions so you might see her a bit & I might be able to squeeze in some time during the training, but i'm unsure at this point ...

Hey - guys in this months PC Zone (i prefer pc gamer, but bought pc zone for the starsiege articles) there's an article on How to get your girlfriend into gaming! Funny, though, they don't mention moving to hong kong haha! Here's a quote in a side bar from a letter sent in by a girl :
    I'm a girl. I really enjoy shooting all the idiots wiith my rocket launcher in quake II. I also like Halflife, carmageddon, and GTA...It does surprise me more girls don't seem to enjoy killing things with big weapons. When i first entered [a chatsite] i was asked (insultingly) if the games i liked were 'solitaire' and 'Barbie Nail Designer'. Well, i have news for you blokes - come over here and suck on my BFG'

lol - I swear that wasn't froggy who wrote that, but it may soon be haha smile.gif

emm i was taking the **** vagga
    apologetic?! for wha

emm suds wtf lad??
    am i disease ridden? (brings new meaning to the nickname septic....!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Suds

i hold you in the same esteem as daa and crash

a) why
    and
    b) why are u the only one that does so?

cmon lad...out with it

Sep, suds.... Take it to private email. Let's not have any dirty-laundry airing here, please.

Late June is grand, assuming it's after the Leaving... smile.gif

Rathfarnam.... Hmm. I'm near St Patricks Cathedral... I guess the taxi-drivers might be doing business off us then! This assumes that it comes off as planned for me, but I don't see any problem atm...

Mata ne!
    Rob

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Brit

Vagga: as soon as everything is set in stone, date and location wise etc - let me know. I'll 'apply' for an invite - shouldn't be too much trouble to get time off work if needed. Just a few questions:

Do we need to bring our own PC's?
    Length of time to pass during this extravaganza?

Oh, and on the drugs issue - if they rear they're ugly head, I disappear - not worth the career problems.. (random drugs testing is always a consideration).

Sounds v.cool.

--Brit--

Advertisement