Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Invite Only Tribes LAN Party

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I DON'T GET WOUND UP YA DURTY EVIL DAMN AWFUL EGREGIOUS MUPPET!!!!!! oh hang on. hmm.

Yeah I do, I lose the rag completely on occasion. :/

Just ask Ehldas, I can't believe my keyboard still works after the pounding I give it. smile.gif

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

The Story So Far.........
    [em]me !
    [em]Yum
    [em]Teeth - He'll shout if I dont let him come!
    [em]Jade
    [em]Gandalf - possible hardware person
    [em]ChungKing
    [em]Brit
    [em]Shinji - only can come if we gen mention in mag !
    [em]Dupre
    Sep
    Suds - if he clams down with sep
    [em]Osiris
    [em]Dar - needs fake ID smile.gif
    [em]Fiend
    [em]Ehldas

No more spaces for first call on PC's

Who of the above had a NT compatible (no unix ****e)and working network card on their PC

Who of the above would need a PC - who can bring a spare one?

Other Issues......

On hub will be on probs

One server will do, for it to be a good lan what spec do ppl reckon? For starters would a 200 penti pro - 80 megs ram be enuf?

We will need miles of cat5 cable (I can get only 2 and 3 mtr cables)

****ty £5 realtec network cards would do for ppl who dont have them would they (I'm not ****in payin BTW)

We would all save money if we centralley ordered booze/smokes and so on.

[em]vagga

ps: teeht is right the line thing in the name is ****e !

[This message has been edited by tHE vAGGABOND (edited 12-04-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

OK,

The PP180 has a 3Com 3C509 Combo in it and my system the PII 450 has a Allied Telesyn PCI Network Card. If you have a spare Voodoo2 we can slap it into the 180 and some1 could use it (I think).

16 Port Bay Networks Hub. I have 2 x 6 Gang Power Bars (with surge protection) and I could get a few patch leads as well.

let me know,

Gandalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

I can bring me pc, pII 450, network card ready to roll. Might be able to sort out some cat5.

Don't forget my flatmate Ehldas, and Fiend too. Hardcore LAN Party goers we are. smile.gif

Teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭ChungKing

Dar, u r under 18 and managed to wrangle a pII 450? kudos to you sir!

I can drag along my own pII450 with network card & have a few pennies lying around so can pick up bits and pieces of hardware and/or software (dat would be da drinks etc, i guess) should that be necessary smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Brit

Mmm, this board is playing silly buggers...

Quick Q: Am I the only one living in England?? smile.gif

--Brit--

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭YuM

I got a few netcards & bout 40M of Cat5, connectors etc....

Hmmm not gonna lug me PC across the country.. but I could more than likely nick the sisters one from Lucan..

must stock up on the ould duty frees (smokes) and a beer fund sounds cool (not lugging a crate round wiv me smile.gif)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭YuM

naaah Brit there's about 54 million others.." wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

If ppl need them I have 2 spare network cards(just don't ask why:/)

• Advertisement

I can sort ya with a resonable PC Brit smile.gif

Chung, your bird wanna come smile.gif

Everything sounds bang in order, kewl smile.gif

Dont forget about cat5 cable smile.gif

vag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

um
    how much does a cat5 cable set ya back these days?

Ah now, she might at that vagga smile.gif

I think she got a bit discouraged last nite once we hit snowblind heheh - both teeth and i yelling at her to deploy sensors then - DOH! I pretty much screw up - get this:

Teeth & I were getting frustrated & I wasn't all with it being a bit sleepy - so i give froggy a waypoint to deploy a sensor on the ridge near our base ... well i'm looking at the command map and i see froggy hopping around outside the nme base. I'm getting a bit exasperated as clamor would come knocking at the front door asking politely for our flag - and no advance notice for me to tidy up our livingroom (very rude!) so I look in disbelief as froggy is still hovering around the nme base and dying - then i see her waypoint is in front on the nme base! somehow either the waypoint got changed, or i was standing on my head when assigning the way point - so poor froggy is there trying to deploy sensors on the enemy's front lawn! Fiend and clamor must have been like 'what _is_ she doing'

sorry froggy smile.gif

She did get a sensor up there in the end (in front of the enemy base, that is, heh)! In the meantime clamor would drop by for a cuppa, bit of gossip, then quite briskly would rush off - with me only noticing he had pilfered my US Open Crazy Golf Master's Trophy flag! Cheeky monkey!

Also Teeth & I thought we could hit them quickly from the beginning and rushed off on offense together - later i realised it's very hard to effectively defend the flag on snowblind on yer own if you are inexperienced & fiend took full advantage

5-1 when i left for bed ouch leaving an irate Teeth heheh.

Speaking of teeth, in 1.5 hours i will be sitting in a dentist's chair ...groan! Wish me and my teeth luck!

Brit - where abouts in the UK do you live? I go over to london usually at least once a month to see froggy and probably will be heading over more often as the weather gets better - Are you in london? If so where?

She lives in richmond - we often go out to henry's or the slug & lettuce - and on occasion head on downtown - maybe meet ya there sometime for a pint? (assuming you're in london).

Also - does anybody live around Ringsend/ballsbridge? I'm on upper grand canal street and can often be found in slattery's pub (just down the street from what used to be kitty o'shea's pub) or McDaids on saturday afternoons after a bit o' shoppin' ... if any of you guys are around you should let me know & I'll buy ya a pint smile.gif

I dont really live near there but if yer buyin'

Cheers Vagga smile.gif

Well chung, I work in London, but thank god I don't live there. I live just outside Brighton, on the south coast - but if its beer we're talking about, travel ain't a problem. smile.gif

--Brit--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SeP

right dar im on yuor PC smile.gif
    i aint carrin it on me bycicle from the bogs smile.gif

se - need fake id - p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

vodka, peach schnapps and orange juice. cranberry juice optional.
    this is a fuzzy naval (sex on the beach if you add the cranberry juice)
    i'll bring the ****tail shaker smile.gif
    and i have a nice p11 400 if you need it.
    shame tribes.ign is sooo laggy, i might even play with yis then. guess i'll stick to english servers
    white(ahhh crap)wash

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

which reminds me vagga, read my post on tech support board. id very much appreciate it if you could help
    white(good grief, anyone have a network card? carnate stole mine)wash

wwman,
    kewl come along if you like, note unfortunately I have already allocated all the expected pc's (although you have a pc and actually live in dublin which in reality must give you a massive shot at a spot)

Must say I cannot remember seeing you on IGN, you must pop in one night.

Networks - you have PC's with network cards - connected with (usually in my experience)cat5 cable to a HUB which is in turn connected to the server. Bobs yer auntie you have a Network. EasyPieseLemonSqueezy. Now the operating system (NT or Unix) now thats where the real geekyness comes into its own smile.gif.

• Advertisement

Networks are funny old things.

Its my experience that networks above 15 machines require a switching box, especially if they vary in individual performance by large amounts.

So, each machine will need a 10 base-T compatible network card (ISA or PCI, it doesn't matter) with a length of CAT-5 non twisted cable (length up to you, but 5-10 metres usually enough for most situations).

Then if there are a lot of peeps going, for every 10 machines, (maybe 20) you'll need a switching box leading to a hub, leading to the server.

Unix servers are in my exp. preferable, but I'm biased - give me a monochrome command line interpreter anyday over Windoze!

BTW - do we have a date for this debarcle yet? smile.gif

--Brit--

Well if someone is swish enough to bring along a switch, fair enough, but it's not necessary. Mostly because all of the traffic will be between the various client machines and a single server.

Convential shared 10Mb is fine - it gives you about 1MB per second for the 16-20 PCs. So there'll be plenty of bandwidth with very low latency and no packet loss. Not that makes much of a difference in Tribes. smile.gif

Brit - you need CAT-5 twisted-pair, what you're talking about is a cross-over cable, which is for nic-nic stuff only.

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Maybe someone should just buy a rell of CAT5 cable? It's incredibly cheap... I got 150m of it off Maplin, along with 40 plugs, for about 30 quid... I have a crimping tool and all, and this may well save a lot of headaches, as we wouldn't have to position machines according to whatever oddball cable lengths we have....

Mata ne!
    Rob

I have no problem contributing to the purchase of cable or any other bitties we need - maybe a bit closer to the date, though.

smile.gif

I didnt realise that it was that cheap, if so, kewl, we'll(er I mean chung smile.gif) just buy a roll smile.gif

Time wise, the last weekend in June ties in nicely with the French Grand Prix on the Sunday. Thats Friday the 25th until Sunday 27th

how dat suit ?

vagga

sounds like a plan smile.gif

Hell, lets just lay cable into every room in Vagga's house and put in a wiring closet while we're at it! It'll be an investment. smile.gif

Teeth.

I like that idea teeth smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

I can probably get a reel or 2 of cat5 for free (got 6 boxes for qp) plus connectors, buit some kind soul will have to do the crimping smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I can do the crimping, I've done enough of it.... Fun by the ton it is, but you get the hang of it after doing it a few hundred times...

Hold that thought on the end of june, at least two people here are doing exams, and we'd kinda wanna get them out of the way first...

Mata ne!
    Rob

Advertisement