Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit/Laser Card Charges

Options
  • 25-07-2004 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭

Can business's charge a customer for accepting payment via Credit/Laser Card ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Yep, they can. Very uncommon mind you but it's an added cost of doing business and it's up to the retailer to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Cork

Yes, and as much as they pretty well like.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Ryanair charge e2.50 per segment so a return flight will cost an additional fiver if you pay with a credit card. 1.20 for a return flight with a debit card - and guess what, even as a supposedly 'Irish' airline, they still refuse to take Laser. They have even refused to take cash before now!

Disgrace. Should be an upper limit to this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

So what? You get an extra charge for paying via credit card or debit card with ticketmaster, why not for flight tickets?
    I really hate all the griping about Ryanair, if they didn't charge for plastic transactions the flight prices would have to be raised, you're going to pay for it in *some* way.

And btw you can book and pay for ryanair flights in quite a few tourist offices/travel agents and pay in cash. There's one such place in Belfast's Central Station, for instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Originally posted by Cork

No they can't, or rather they shouldn't but do. They are breaking their merchant agreement if they charge a customer a fee for using a credit card. You can get a refund from your card company if your bill shows €X for the service/good and €Y for a credit card processing fee. It has to say the fee was specifically for using your card though.

**Edit : This was the case two years ago. I'm assuming it still is but I may be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

So how come massive companies like Ticketmaster and Ryanair and other airlines can get away with charging for plastic transactions?
    Are there different rules for online transactions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

i bought two tickets for the frames gig in marley park with my laser card and was charge 10 euro by ticketbastard. I felt violated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

They can charge you as they are charged by the credit card company for the service.
    After all, they get a guaranteed payment without the risk of having the cash aster a transaction (which can be stolen and is, to a large extent, untraceable).

Ryanair's method is a little underhanded, they make the ticket price
    appear cheaper, but then up the other charges. This was fine when it was optional (like on-board snacks) but it's for credit card bookings it's
    per-person, per-flight. Which means if you but two tickets to Pisa via Standsted you pay
    €2.50 each to Standsted - €5
    €2.50 each to Pisa - €5
    €2.50 each from Pisa - €5
    €2.50 each from standsted - €5

Now, Visa (or whoever) charge per transaction so Ryanair make a profit from the transaction which to my mind is wrong. Visa certainly don't charge the merchant €20 for one transaction!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,371 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    Now, Visa (or whoever) charge per transaction so Ryanair make a profit from the transaction which to my mind is wrong. Visa certainly don't charge the merchant €20 for one transaction!
    The card companies charges are largely based on a percentage of sales, possibly with a modest minimum transaction charge. But yes Ryanair are pushing it.

Advertisement