Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"The line is not connected to the test equipment in the telephone exchange"

Options
  • 25-07-2004 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

I posted a couple of weeks ago here about having to wait months for a line test and getting no answer or reason why when I phoned Eircom, wondering what I could do about it. I since attempted to order through Netsource, and after waiting a week for a line-test result here is the verdict they returned to me:

"There seems to be a problem checking this phone line.

The line is not connected to the test equipment in the telephone exchange,
    Eircom are going to get back to me and advise when this problem will be
    resolved.

I will contact you as soon as I have a result."

If I had got a fail three months ago when I first ordered, I would have moved house to somewhere that I knew I could get broadband, and all is well. If I had got a pass three months ago, even better. But having to wait with no result and no light at the end of the tunnel is driving me insane. Can anyone tell me why there would be this problem checking the phone line, and if there is anything I can do about it to get it checked?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

LOL that is priceless !!!! Complain to Comreg and see what they say (probably get some long winded waffle ending up with that they can do nothing !!).

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

I was told "your line does not seem to exist,what's your phone number?" by Eircon when I called them to test it.After giving my number it took 3 week's to get a result and I'm now a happy IOL customer.They "Eircon" are still calling wanting to know if I want to sign up.

G

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Illkillya emailed me about this, I'm replying here for reference.

Gandalf is right, you should complain to Comreg. However you need to write a very detailed letter to them, otherwise their first reply will be something like "you need to exhaust the complaints procedure before you talk to us", which will waste more of your time. Write it all down, with every little detail you can think of. If they were rude to you, write it down; if you were sent in loops, write it down, etc. And if you're in contact with Eircom again in the meantime, have a pen and paper by the phone and take notes, including dates, times, names, etc.

The other route I would recommend is to write directly to Phil Nolan, which I had some success with personally. It's up to you whether you want to be as, eh, forceful as me, but do make sure that you're not "rude", i.e. don't swear and don't rant from start to finish. Tell your story, make a point, tell them how unhappy you are, ask him to fix things. You never know, he might actually pull his finger out and lart someone. After all, that's his job.

HTH,
    adam

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Ha. I tried to order through netsource and eircom told them my line had been terminated in NOvember 2003! lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Oh, and to answer the question in your email, yes, in Eircom's case in particular and most telcos/isps in general, electronic correspondence is useless. Massively ironic, but true. Always write a letter.

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

I ordered through UTV.

Got an email on the 26th June saying that my line had been activated.

Still no broadband. UTV don't know why, and Eircom just keep saying the line is active. It's now being escalated (for the 3rd time). I've had people check the set up at my side, and there is no reason why it shouldn't be working (my line connects at an average of 48k on dial up).

I suspect that Eircom just like to make things difficult for those people who have the cheek not to buy from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I'm having the exact same problem as you. I rang them over 3 months ago and they said they would send in a line test, I should have the results in a week. So after 2 weeks I rang them back and they told me it would take a month and that I was told wrong by whatever rep was talking to.

So I rang back two weeks later and they said they got no results, they would send in another test request and I would have to wait up to 4 weeks, again. So I rang back in a week and I was told that my line had failed. :eek: But for some reason I didn't believe him, so I rang back 10 min later and got put throught to another rep, he said there were no test results for my line ring back next week.

This has continued for the past 3 months and I've got answers rangin from my exchange isn't upgraded, there is work going on in your exchange and your line is not hooked up in my exchange :confused:.

Just to top it off when I rang this week the guy who was dealing order is on holidays. But lickily I was put through to a rep that seemed to care :eek: She said she hand my order to her team leader and has marked it down as urgent. Now I just have to wait and see what happens :dunno:

At this rate I'm gonna miss UTV's 3 month free offer. :mad:

What exchange are you on Illkillya?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭ekehoe

Originally posted by Ciaran500
    I'm having the exact same problem as you. I rang them over 3 months ago and they said they would send in a line test, I should have the results in a week.

Could you please call me Ciaran? 087 699 7371.

Thanks
    E

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I'm in Leixlip.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I'm on the main lucan exchange. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Finally!! I wrote a letter to Phil Nolan, the CEO of Eircom as recommended by dahamsta, and within a week I have got a phone call from Eircom customer care (the same customer care who ignored my other complaints) to say that 'following up on your letter to the CEO, we have resolved the issue and your line is suitable for broadband'.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I'll now order my DSL... FROM IOL ;)

Advertisement