Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

moving a desktop pc overseas

• 25-07-2004 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

I intend to emigrate around the end of the year.
    Has anyone brought a pc with them overseas, or sent one via a courier.
    I think the easiest way would be to bring it as hand luggage; but then I'd be concerend about it being dismantled to make sure it's not a bomb or something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Where ye going?!

I shipped my iMac and packed it up well in foamed box, it came out fine. Wouldn't know about bringing it as hand luggage though but I would imagine that you would have a lot of luggage as it is surely if you are emigrating?

Good luck, emigration is fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

Thanks!

Where did you get the foamed box? I don't think i have the packaging unfortunately.

Moving to America eventually. Maybe some other places for a while first. My fiancée is American.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

perhaps youd consider using a deliverly service, like ups/dhl
    that way its insured guaranteed delivery etc.

im not sure of the pricing but if its just the pc (no monitor) i cant imagine it being too extortionate.

might be better than carrying a big box around the airport aswell as having to trust the baggage handlers to look after it ;) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I kept the original box that it came with. I'm sure it won't cost much to buy a box with foam, even the post office may have one, and there's always the supermarkets where you can ask.

The packaging is the least of your worries, you will sort that no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

My advice would be sell everything except your hard drive before you go. If your going to the States you could build the exact same PC but cheaper than what you will sell the parts for. Your HD is all you need really. Or sell that as well and burn all your personal files to Cdr/DVD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Do as Daevg says, cheep as chips to buy in the States. You'd never be able to bring on a PC as hand luggage anyway, there's weight and size restrictions plus I don't think they'd look too kindly on it at the X-Ray sataion.
    'What's this large black shape in your bag sir and would you mind stepping aside while I put on these rubber gloves' :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Your best bet is to do what they said above. Sell what you can and hang onto the hard drives (although TBH I would back them up and sell them too and go over with CDRs).

You pick up a nice machine cheap, cheaper if you stay out of the walmart/bestbuy stores.

If your going to Boston, there was a good Computer store on first street in Cambridge (near the Galleria). They sell parts, or for small fee build you one to spec.

One thing to watch out for in the US is that the monitor is not sold as part of a PC. So if you see good prices, remember there is no monitor with it.

Although if your going to be moving around a bit, you might be better off with a laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

Get a laptop, if you can get to the states or know someone who can then you can pick up a very nice laptop for $900. $1500 would get you a really nice one. I go back and forth from Ireland to the US, I bought a travel kit for $30 that I can use for the power and modem on my laptop, it has converters for just about every country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

If you do decide to keep the HD be aware that the Xray machine may fúck it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by daveg

No it won't. The US also after 9/11 have two x-ray machines. One for laptops. So if you have any issues just put your bag through that X-Ray machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

Originally posted by daveg
    AFAIK it is the metal detectors that corrupt data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Kernel32

Originally posted by Hobbes
    No it won't. The US also after 9/11 have two x-ray machines. One for laptops. So if you have any issues just put your bag through that X-Ray machine.

I have only seen the same x-ray machine in the US for all types of carry on's. You have to take the laptop out of its case now and put in through the machine like that, they also seem to manually inspect a lot of them. I have put mine through many times and there doesn't appear to be any damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Why bring a PC on a plane????

If you have backups of your data, whats the problem?

Advertisement