Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else getting crappy connection problems

Options
  • 11-05-1999 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

I'm connecting through TINET, from Dublin, using a bog standard 56K external desktop modem variety - and until the last week or so everything was hunky dory.

Anytime I was lagged or (on rare occasions) disconnected - it was usually as a result of some sod coming in on a massive ping.

Lately though I've been disconnected more regularly, and the connection quality has dropped. Its not my line, cables, modem etc. (checked 'em all) - so that leaves TINET.

Anyone else getting issues through the same route lately?

Regards,

[clanless]Coyote
    "Abandon All Hope!"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭clanless_Coyote

I had to try 5 friggin' times to get a connection this evening, and even now the connection quality is sporadic. Assuming GAMESPY3D can refresh/update the servers, the ping times vary from 100-200 right up to 1200+ sad.gif

I'm convinced its a limitation at the TINET end, since I couldn't even get a connection on the first 4 attempts. Bandwith or modem capacity? Hnmnnnnnn..... sad.gif

Regards,
    [clanless]Coyote
    "Abandon All Hope!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

ever since I got a new Tinet a/c i've had zilch problems with disses. Well i lie a little, i still get the odd one, but this would happen like once every 4-5 games (a game lasting on average an hour)...in both q2 and Tribes (and q3a now smile.gif. I have an internal Pace56 whatnot sharing a line with the fax machine.

You must be mistaking me for somebody who gives a ****..
    robertgallagher@tinet.ie
    www.planet-tribes.com/em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭ChungKing

Heya coyote smile.gif

my post ain't gonna help you much as i haven't played from home for a while now (been in london using froggy's connection and am now in germany - no tribes for me for the next few days!)

I'm back in dublin on sunday & I believe EM have a big match that day so if i'm playing i'll let you know how my tinet connection goes.

Prior to last week i vaguely remember things getting a bit ropey, that's for sure.

anyway, not much help from me, but you have my sympathies!

ck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭clanless_Coyote

Hey Hecate,

When did you get the new connection / account, and why?

Also - how long does the dial-up take to make the connection. I'm averaging about 2.5 to 3 mins, including the username verification etc. - but I know other ISPs are a lot quicker (approx 30 secs).

Regards,
    [clanless]Coyote
    "Abandon All Hope!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Scarab

At the moment TINET are the most steady ISP, indigo used to be better but they have a crappy modem to user ratio after the christmas.Iol just plain suck and always will do. Emmmmmm 3 minutes is far too long to try and connect, sometimes tinet dial up hangs for some reason. Just listen to the sounds your modem is making, you will get to know what a proper dial up sounds like, if it hangs at just repeats the same tone, disconnect and reconnect, afaik you dont get charged for the phone call. Ohhhh and dont bother with gamespy to see what your ping is, it doesnt even get remotely close a lot of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

as a former indiblow and tinet customer I have to say IOL RAWKS

The Vaggabond of the Western World
    Electric Mayhem
    www.planet-tribes.com/em
    The Real UK Tribes Champs :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Suds

ok I cant TAKE IT ANYMOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I will try and help ANY connection type queries from:

modem queries / hardware issues / OS probs / firewall protection / etc (internet connectivity persay)

BUT

all queries must have the following info or i wont / cant comment :-

PC/Mac specs (OS, Ram, HD space, cards/ modem make, type, int/ext, date of driver, init string, versions of DUN, TCP/IP, Winsock, etc)

also if pc shares the line or not, lenght of extension etc...

30 seconds connecting should be yur max.. but modems vary.

for such queries mail connect@qamex.com ok?

Tke it mailbox!

Advertisement