Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How strict are web space providers?

Options
  • 25-07-2004 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

Moderator - Im sorry if this is in the wrong place, please feel free to move this thread if its not!

I was wondering what do free web space providers do when their policy is broken?
    Do they lock the site, send a warning email or is there legal issues?

has anyone any experience with such a thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

What do you mean by "policy"?

I know that Geocities (Yahoo) disable sites if they break their AUP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

In most cases if the Free provider finds what ever you don’t want them to find they will lock, ban or remove your account, that’s why they go to the trouble of putting AUP's together.

Your site could also be reported to them (which is a lot more likely than them finding your few mp3's or what not)

Keep an eye open on some of the bigger mp3 or Warez archives (I know of none myself of coarse) you will see the webmasters renaming files and using various compression agents to hide certain extensions enabling them to use free web space providers who search and scan for the like’s of mp3’s or other file extensions.

If it all gets a bit too much for you maybe you should look at some off shore hosting, or better yet try not to break the AUP’s. :D

You will find http://www.free-webspace.org/ a pretty decent source of free web hosts.

Disclaimer

I personally would not condone the breaking of the law or a company's AUP for that matter and if you do so you do at your own risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭pyrogenx

I wouldn't be into the Warez "sort of thing" or any sort of illegal contents.

Its just good to know what they could do if they believe i've done something they don't allow.

blacknight - Yeah by policy i meant the AUP.

Advertisement