Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you's think of this for new pc

Options
  • 25-07-2004 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I'm building a pc for my brother and was wondering what you think of the following spec:

Chenbro Gaming Bomb Orange + Window
    Netzteil be quiet! 400W Black 2 Lüfter
    DVDR IDE NEC ND-2500A +-R/RW bulk black (I think i read here that its a pretty good buy?)
    Floppy Markenfabrikat 3,5" schwarz
    MB ATX SA Abit NF7-S V2.0 nForce2 (Good for oc-ing?)
    128MB Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro Lite-RTL (For me, he's getting my old card)
    Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer Revision 3.0 (For me to)
    HDD SATA 160GB Samsung SP1614C 8MB
    DDR PC400 512MB Mushkin Basic Green (All he want to pay for RAM is around 90euro)
    CPU AMD Athlon XP-Mobile 2500+ 45W Tray (Jes has another one with a certain stepping, would it be a better buy? Out of stock at the moment thou)
    Maus Logitech MX510
    Tastatur KeySonic ACK-9000WK

I might overclock it a bit for him, not sure what kind of heatsink fan combo i should go for. Was thinking This ZALMAN CNPS-7000-AlCu but not sure if it's for socket A. He's not prepared to spend more on a heatsink.

That brings it to a total of 630 plus postage (40) without the graphics card and cooler and it includes the above mentioned heatsink. He has a monitor from an old pc.

Let me know what you think

Jozi

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Over all it looks OK - but you really should spend the extra few euros on the 2510 DVD writer it's Dual-Layer (I know firmware update gives the 2500 Dual-Layer but it's a gamble, for 5 euros?). Also your keyboard layout may be German so watch out! (I think it's diff to UK layout).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Zakalwe

I don't think the Zalman will fit that board. It doesn't fit quite a few boards because of proximity of capactiors etc. Check Zalman's site to make sure it's not blacklisted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I don't think the Zalman will fit that board
    Just looked at their site, your right it wont fit the board and that model isn't for Xp's either so thats out of the cart.
    keyboard layout may be German
    I'll tell him to buy one over here just incase.
    the 2510 DVD writer it's Dual-Layer
    I'll put in the cart instead

Thanks people,

Jozi

Anyone shed some light on the mobile chip and overclocking?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Redrocket

the mobile chip is excellent for overclocking.
    runs at a lower stock voltage, maybe 1.45 instead of 1.65. which means safer higher speeds at lower voltage /temp compared to xp. also, the laptops are able to increase and decrease the speed of the chip to save on power and to reduce heat. and what i think that means, is that the chip is unlocked compared to the normal XP. so unlocked means good :) very good :D

lets say multiplier of 11, and fsb of 200 = 2.2ghz for the xp. change multiplier to 12 and bam! 2.4ghz whooh hooh

i think 2.6/7 ghz is possible from this chip on air cooling and maybe faster ram. from 1.8ghz to 2.7ghz. wow

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Does the Mobile Athlon XP fit all socket A standard motherboards?

• Advertisement

I done some research, it fits the mobo.
    Some issues with voltage but i cant see it being a prob once it's oc'ed.
    lets say multiplier of 11, and fsb of 200 = 2.2ghz for the xp. change multiplier to 12 and bam! 2.4ghz whooh hooh
    Read that to on a few forums

Jozi

it does yeah, same socket, just desinged for a laptop.
    someone told me that they dont perform as well as the non mobile chips, but ive searched around the net for a while now to see if there are any benchmarks or reviews on 2500xp vs 2500 mobile xp and nothing has come up. i think it's because the mobile xp's default bus speed is 266mhz, which means absolutely nothing if your going to overclock. here's some of the sig's i found on other forums when search for reviews on xp vs xpm

Abit NF7-S rev2 Barton Mobile 2500+ IQZFA 0349RPMW 11 x 210 1.8 Vcore
    w SLK900A & 92mm, 56 cfm fan 32/42C

Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 Barton Mobile 2600+
    AQYHA0346XPMW 11.5 x 220 = 2535.7 MHz 1.725 Vcore
    SLK900A with 92mm 56 CFM fan 34/42C

AMD Athlon XP-M 2600+ @ 2.7ghz (215x12.5) 1.8vcore IQYHA 0351MPMW
    Thermalright SP-97 80mm Vantec Tornado w/ Arctic Silver 5

mobile 2600@2.6

Seems like a good buy doesn't it!

Jozi

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Aye i'm building a rig for a friend atm with a 2400 45w mobile xp. Just waiting for it to be delivered. It should push to at least 2.5ghz easily.

There are 35w versions as well but I haven't seen any sites that stock them.

Great processors.

BloodBath

Originally posted by BloodBath

There are 35w versions as well but I haven't seen any sites that stock them.

Seen them on jes last week but out of stock, gone of the site now.

Jozi

• Advertisement

would you not go for the 2500 higher bus speed?
    the mobile barton 2500's are 266mhz so what are the mobile 2400's??

They are all 166 stock fsb speed not 266.

They have 2400, 2500 and 2600 mobile chips all with 166 stock fsb. They are all the same processor and should overclock to the same level.

BloodBath

I reckon I will get rid of this Athlon xp 2600 and go for a mobile 2500 assuming it fits the motherboard.

Are the heatskins any different for the mobile chips.

Soz if these questions are silly don't know much about the mobile chips.

you sure it's not fsb 133 doubled = 266, fsb 166 is what normal bartons use doubled = 333. i think the multiplier is higher on the mobiles to achieve the rating of XP2500, a multiplier of 13 or 14 would make it that speed.

Aye sorry the mobiles are 133. Should have remembered that, was only looking at them the other night.

The fsb will go to 200+ easily and you can cahnge the multi so you would want at least pc3200 with them.

Azza the heatsinks should be fine, you will still be using the socket A clip to attach it.

Get a 2400 and save the 15 euro towards a heatsink. They are the same chip.

BloodBath

AMD Athlon XP-M 2600+ @ 2.7ghz (215x12.5) 1.8vcore IQYHA 0351MPMW

end of story :D

Any hope of the those 35 watt mobiles showing up?

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=19-103-439&DEPA=0

quick search gave me newegg, but i dunno if they ship to ireland

Advertisement