Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ISP for TRIBES in Dublin

Options
  • 12-05-1999 3:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Ok - so those of us who play from home are dependant on the ISPs for our tribes fix. smile.gif

The question is who is the best / most reliable / overall first choice ISP for this?

I'm currently using TINET, and wondering why of late due to some connectivity issues. I tried evaluating DNA, but discovered prolongued usage = problems, dropped lines and connections etc. sad.gif

So - over to you, the faithful TRIBES following.

Who is the best ISP to use in Dublin, to get consistantly the best value from a dial-up connection (assuming external 56k desktop modem etc.)???

Regards,

[clanless]Coyote
    "Abandon All Hope!"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭SS 01 Ripper

here's an idea. how bout we get all the ISPs in dublin to go and give us all free connections and stuff so we can then test which ISP is best for gaming on the net !
    hehe..well...just a suggestion, don't slag me here, i've been doing webstudio special edition all day..tends to have a rather negative effect on the brain..of course not as bad as half-life when after doing that all day i'd walk to the dart station and say...
    i could kill him, him and him !

eheermm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭clanless_Coyote

Hehehe smile.gif

I remember the same thing happening to me after playing Duke Nukem 3D (way back when...) for the first time. I arrived into work (bleary eyed) the next day, and can recall looking at all the fire extinguishers on office corridor walls and thinking what a mess I could make if I only had my gun... smile.gif

Now that I think of it, the same thing happened when I got my first exposure to DOOM. I was probably one of the first in the country to get my mits on it. Damn - that game changed everything.

Anyways - I'm rambling. Back to ISPs. I want a decent connection and need to know where to get it. Any suggestions?

PS - Ripper, use www.readmail.com to access your home email at TINET as (assuming you have a modem problem) by doing the following:-

Login: name@mail1.tinet.ie
    Password: whatever

This will allow you to view text, but not attachments. Its also a snazzy way of deleting any large mails that have made it to the TINET servers before they attempt to download to your HD at home and screw your connection. Let me know if you have any problems. smile.gif

Regards,
    [clanless]Coyote
    "Abandon All Hope!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭SS 01 Ripper

cool. i'll try that right now =)

thx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Bah real men would just telnet to port 110.. smile.gif

Teeth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Suds

Please ppl

COP ON!

lets put my pop address and password into a 3rd party website.... ( not meaning clouds) meaning a any site which allows u access yur pop mail via its own system

Ask yurself - what else does it do, what else could it do?

OH YES

RAPE and SPAM MY MAILBOX

TAKE IT

(yes i lost it back on line 2)

S

[This message has been edited by Suds (edited 12-05-99).]

[This message has been edited by Suds (edited 12-05-99).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

eeeehhhhh suds somehow I doubt his login is "name" and his password is "whatever"....

smile.gif

Mata ne!
    Rob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dupre

Indigo, Dublin POP. Haven't gotten a dropped line in around a year and a half.

Been a bit of trouble connecting between 9 p.m. and 11p.m. for the past 2 months.

Pings were okay last time I played, but more importantly they were consistent. Haven't played Tribes in about 2 months tho', so this info could be outta date.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭YuM

Tinet tends to drop me, but pings can be good..

IOL never drops ! but packet loss is in the 20's

ahh don't get me started on connection crap..... wink.gif

I'M OUTTA HERE !!!! (leitrim that is) hahaha escape, freedom... no more... whooohoooo

new job ...... real world / people..

nuf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I'm confused now

You all say indigo is great, but for me all I get is engaged tones 9 tries outa 10 and a **** p/l on good ones. I hate indigo. Their tech support is chock full of llamas, when ever I ring to moan at them its like....

<vag>my connection suks, why? and when will it not suk?
    <indigo ****er>"er...the server went down"
    <vag> what the fuk, your an ISP and you have one server?
    <indigo>no its the server you are on?
    <vag>what the fuk am I on a ****in RAS connection, anyway how do you know what server I was on?
    <indigo>[snotty acient]oh we know that, its our job.....
    <vag>no your job is to take **** from me, because I am the customer and you are some looser in a ground level tech support job with indigo.
    /me hangs up

I am a moany **** at the best of times but do not have even one complaint about IOL, 3 months and I seem to have one of the lowest pings and beter connections of the reg irish tribers, even tho my pc isent even good enuf to be a print server for a 3 person office smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭clanless_Coyote

Vag, I tried IOL for a while, but the best I could get on a regular basis was a 33K connection, even with a 56K modem. I agree - that connections to IOL remained fairly consistent, but I just couldn't get the download rates or connection speeds I crave sad.gif

When TINET works (Maybe I should say IF smile.gif) I can get connected at 48, 49 and even 50K. The damn problem is that they are not consistent.

I hate the hassle of switching ISPs, moving email accounts, telling everyone blah blah blah - but if things don't change soon I'll go insane. Its so frustrating to cap a flag on full health, kill a couple bad buys on the way out, jet over to the nearest hill and get ready to ski - when the fuppin thing hangs and the little red-box of death appears sad.gif

You wait, hoping it will clear up, and you wait even longer - hoping you landed somewhere safe.... only to find that someone had enough time to track you, drop you sad ass with a puny blaster (since you were stopped in slow mo), nick the stolen flag, have a picnic, bragg about it for a while and then move along.

....Then the connection either lights up again (in which case time returns to normal and your household gets treated to a new stream of screamed abuse) or the little 'Server connection timed out' message spits at you mockingly.

Regards,
    [clanless]Coyote
    "Abandon All Hope!"

Wow - I just noticed, I'm starting to rant smile.gif - thats your fault Vag!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

what?

me rant?

Advertisement