Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DVD Region

• 25-07-2004 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

I want to buy a DVD but it is only available in Region 1 [NTSC] if I buy it what do I need to do to watch it?

It would be played on a PS2. Can I make my PS2 region free? Does the NTSC mean anything or will it play on my PAL tv?

If I buy it can a burn a new copy that would be region free?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

You can pick up a Region X disk for the ps2 any just about any game store (I think anyway). That'll enable your ps2 to play any dvd. If you copy the dvd, I'm pretty sure it'd still be region 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

There are dvds you can buy to make your PS2 region free off play.com , I use this one and find it to be very good: DVD Region X , now it comes with remote control: DVD Region X with Remote for only £2 extra.

As for the NTSC issue. I tried NTSC dvds on a friend's PS2 and had issues with the DVD playing in black&white. Not sure if this was due to their PS2 or their TV set.

If you use DVD Shrink to copy your DVDs then this can remove the region code. You will still have the NTSC problem though. (I'm still trying to figure out how to convert an NTSC DVD to PAL, all the instructions I've found are VERY complicated).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

I've played NTSC and PAL dvds off my ps2 and never had a problem...I'd say it might have been the tv set Stark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

You'll need to make sure that your TV can display NTSC signals. The PS2 is capable of outputting them, but both units have to be compatible.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Originally posted by Stark
    As for the NTSC issue. I tried NTSC dvds on a friend's PS2 and had issues with the DVD playing in black&white. Not sure if this was due to their PS2 or their TV set.

More than likely the TV set, I have a Panasonic model which is a "European" tv, and only played region1 DVDs in black and white.

The same ps2, film and region X disk played fine on the Sony Trinitron though.

Check what regions your tv supports before buying DVD region x.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by Stark
    There are dvds you can buy to make your PS2 region free off play.com , I use this one and find it to be very good: DVD Region X , now it comes with remote control: DVD Region X with Remote for only £2 extra.

If you use DVD Shrink to copy your DVDs then this can remove the region code. You will still have the NTSC problem though. (I'm still trying to figure out how to convert an NTSC DVD to PAL, all the instructions I've found are VERY complicated).

When re-encoding a disk use 25fps as the framerate, the DVD player should then output in PAL. Re-encoding a 29.9fps disk as 25fps will not look the best though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yes but don't you also have to change the resolution (not the hardest part). Then there's the audio sync and putting the DVD back together with menus intact etc. (I tried converting an NTSC dvd full of music videos, and it was damn near impossible. Tried using DVD rebuilder but it started giving out when it came to the rebuild stage).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Sorry to have to drag this up but:-

Will a Multi-Region DVD from Australia play on Irish TVs? The site that is selling it says:-
    This DVD is formatted for playback on PAL enabled systems (Australian Standard).

If not would it play on a cimputer monitor? If so would NTSC also play on one?

Thanks Alot

Kappar wrote:

Will a Multi-Region DVD from Australia play on Irish TVs? The site that is selling it says:-

If not would it play on a cimputer monitor? If so would NTSC also play on one?

Thanks Alot

If your DVD player is region free then an Australian disk will play fine on it.

Any region disk should be playable on a PC although you may need to update the DVD-ROM firmware and some other stuff, look here for details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

The region does not really concern me it's more the TV standard Aus uses PAL B/G while we use PAL I Also on that site is says
    Common types are B, G and H; less common types include D, I, K, N and M. The different types are generally not compatible.

Any clarification on this.

• Advertisement

The different types of PAL broadcast systems only matter where equipment (DVD player/recorder VCR or TV) are being used in a different country.
    even though they are marked as such DVDs are not actually encoded with either PAL or NTSC, they only contain MPEG digital encoded files it is just the framerate and resolution of the files that are different. the PAL or NTSC analogue video output is generated by the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Kappar wrote:

Lots of Australian discs are dual-encoded for region 2 and 4. Not all though.

As for the different subclass of PAL, you'll be fine while playing an Australian DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

If your TV is a newer model it will more than likely be able to handle NTSC. I have a Panasonic 50Hz Widescreen and it can handle NTSC fine (the majority of my DVD's are US Region 1). Just check the specs on the site for the manufacturer

(btw thats a great game to play in Dixons, ask the "red jumper warranty salesperson" if the TV can handle NTSC and watch them run in a panic to try and find someone who might know!!!)

Advertisement