Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL broadband ping "spikes?"

• 26-07-2004 12:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

hello everyone, I have recently ordered broadband with IOL because of the 16gb cap thinking that the product itself would be the same as eircom but I have heard of many people saying they get ping "spikes" with IOL every 30-40 seconds while gaming online. Online gaming is the reason I am getting broadband and am wondering if this is affecting everyone on IOL broadband or just a few? If most people are affected by it then I would probably think about going to eircom depending on how IOL is for me. Is eircom broadband better as regards stability of pings in servers?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Pings are slightly higher then eircoms but the connection is very reliable in my experience.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

i dunno how stable iol is for gaming/pings but it shud be somwhere similar to eircom which is 20ms-40ms to uk servers. i get 35ms average to decent uk servers ingame and 45ms to crappier uk servers like uk2 and jolt. I never get ping spikes, IOL should be sommet similar to my experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

i dont game online but i test the pings fairly regularly and get an average of 25, pretty good me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

There have been a few threads like this already - and it always seems to be IOL that causes the problem!
    It's very very annoying as it's very very regular!! :confused: And it's been getting steadily worse recently too - I'll have to have a look when I get home and measure the times between spikes ... then get onto IOL for a good old ear bashing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Hellraiser

While i have been havinh major prob's as of alte with IOL and online gaming.

I play COD online all the time when not in work and have been getting connection interupted about every 10 mins or so, it last's for about 1-2 mins and is really annoying.

I am currently in contact with someone from IOL thats trying to fix it, it used to be perfect for me up until about 7 weeks ago, now at this stage it is just annoying.

• Advertisement

Yeah I'm the same with that too ... EXTREMELY annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I'm on IOLBB+ and I've not noticed any spikes, and I game quite regularly...

It may be down to congestion so .. but either way it's a kick in the balls.
    I'm probably on the Coolock/Artaine boxy thing. Where are the others that are having the problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

i put up a post about this a while ago....
    Its been ok lately but a while back there i was getting REALLY bad ping spikes,there would be no data transfer at all for about 20 minutes and i had a lovely ping of 2000 every time i ran cs:).
    I rang IOL and as usual they told me to make a diary of all the ping spikes,times and stuff,and send it to them.
    This I did and after 2 weeks of no reply i rang them and asked what the story was but i was told that its my line,not their connection.Fine.
    So i rang eircom the next day and they had a man out to me to check my lines,he didnt find anything wrong,funnily enough.
    But now the spikes have stopped,well when i say stopped i mean keep happening but not as bad,all in all IOL BB SUCKS ASS DO NOT BUY

Advertisement