Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Before Sunset

• 26-07-2004 12:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

Look, I know this film just screams 'cheeck-fleeck' but try and get past that can you.
    If you are man enough to cope with a superbly written and funny love story, with awesome tracking shots and great two-handed dialogue, you will walk out of this going 'that was a great film'.

Anyone else seen it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Before Sunrise is one of my favorite films, so i'm dying to see it. Didn't get a chance this weekend, but will be catching it as early as possible this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

eagerly waiting to see this, but havent seen before sunrise, so waiting to see that(ifi 28/29 july 4.35 pm) before i see sunset.
    also eagerly waiting to see the rest of linklater's movies(dazed and confused, suburbia, school of rock especially)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Any idea how necessary it is to have seen Before Sunrise first? I don't want to lose half the movie's potential value but there's not enough time to buy this DVD before the sequel vanishes from the cinema.

Originally posted by ixoy
    Any idea how necessary it is to have seen Before Sunrise first? I don't want to lose half the movie's potential value but there's not enough time to buy this DVD before the sequel vanishes from the cinema.

From what i've read it is fairly self contained, it fills in all the information you need. You'll be doing well to get it on DVD, it's only available as a Region 1 disc. It's sold out of most Region 1 suppliers too, though Play.com have a listing for it with no release date. Maybe a region 2 disc is on the way...

I'd recomend seeing it in the IFI when it's on though, it's a beautiful film and it'd be nice to see them in their correct order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Schwarzfahren

I agree with Lodgepole; I saw "Before Sunrise" on TV a few years back and was smitten. The sequel is an excelent film in its own right, but having the full background to the story does heighten its impact. To my delight, the sequel is just as smart, engaging and well-shot as the original. I caught it in the Kino in Cork last Friday and was impressed. It seems to be getting very good press. All the reviews I subsequently read gave it at least 4/5 ( Empire, Examiner, The Times, Sunday Times ). It's a shame that there isn't a region 2 disc of the original released to coincide with the sequel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

I caught it in the IFI yesterday and wanted to get on a plane and fly straight to Paris afterwards...

For the record, I've not seen Before Sunrise (yet) but that certainly didn't take from my enjoyment of the film.

Originally posted by ixoy
    there's not enough time to buy this DVD before the sequel vanishes from the cinema.

hmm well if you can play r1 discs, sunrise is in stock on dvd pacific right now, plus sunset is on in the ifi till 12th august....so it is still possible to see.
    although i am hopefully gonna check out the sunrise screening in the ifi

I also see no screenings listed for Before Sunrise on the IFI website... :dunno: They were on on the weekend just gone only it seems :(

they were set to be on , on the weeekend(i headed in on saturday) but it was postponed until the 28th/29th at 4:35(according to a notice there)
    it unfortunately happens sometimes(i missed 2 cuban films i were eagerly anticipating seeing because of them being postponed), but yeah...the website likely wont be updated, but the papers will.....if you plan to go on the 28th, i can meet up with you there if you like, i can get you in on my membership card too if you dont have one(save you a euro)...that invitation is open to anybody, i can get up to 3 people in(as well as myself) with my card....you'd just need to pay for your ticket.
    if your interested pm me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I saw it though I hadn't seen the first one. It's not bad, fairly entertaining, the characters are pretty realsitic and intelligent and there's some funny dialogue.

I have to say that Ethan Hawke hasn't aged very well and his character didn't come accross as well as Julie Delpy's. He just seemed like a bit of a giggly eejit at times.

• Advertisement

sigh some bad news im afraid, i went into the ifi today to confirm about tomorrrow. there must of been another f***-up or something since sunrise has been postponed AGAIN till 28th/29th of august(or maybe i just read the notice wrong) which is 2 weeks after sunset finishes :( the guy behind the counter was taking the piss out of the ifi and their schedules, which i found amusing though.
    so yeah basically so unless you can get sunrise on dvd before the 13th, i'd say just go ahead and see sunset regardless anytime you can.

Originally posted by herobear
    there must of been another f***-up or something since sunrise has been postponed AGAIN till 28th/29th of august(or maybe i just read the notice wrong) which is 2 weeks after sunset finishes

The prints must be in high demand, there can't be that many of them knocking around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭boo4842

I'm probably going to see this tomorrow after work with the gf. Is IFI the only place that is screening this?

boo4842 wrote:
    I'm probably going to see this tomorrow after work with the gf. Is IFI the only place that is screening this?
    Nope. Both UGC and the Screen cinema are also showing Before Sunset. However, if you mean the prequel - Before Sunrise - then only the IFI are planning to show it and not for a while yet. I didn't see the prequel but still thought Before Sunset was excellent - a romane I could finally believe in.

Advertisement