Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have a file, don't know extension?

Options
  • 26-07-2004 2:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭

I have a file here, but I don't know what the extension should be.

Is there a tool that can scan the file itself, to see if it looks like a zip or mp3 or exe, etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

If using windows explorer

Tools > Folder Options > View and make sure that "Hide file extensions for known file types" is unchecked.

Why anyone would have it any other was is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

What I meant was, I downloaded a file with a .mp3 extension.

But none of my MP3 players recognise it as MP3, so it must be something else. I need to know what I should rename the extension to, in order for the file to be usable.

But I agree with you, having the extensions hidden in Windows is a crippling feeling....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

It could be a corrupted file. Try dwnloading it again. Doesnt sound to me like renaming will do any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

Theres a handy utility that integrates into the Windows shell which allows you to analyse files, great for general purpose poking around or seeing what codecs videos etc use. It's called FileAlyzer, made by the same guy that does SpyBot.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

If your running Xp, windows media player should play it regardless of the extinction if the data is of a known format. If the file it self is corrupt then unfortunately its a re-download.

• Advertisement
Advertisement