Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things to Do in Dublin

• 26-07-2004 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

Right, I have to entertain a guy who's coming to Dublin for the day, the guy happens to be AJ Styles, a wrestler from the U.S. and I'm terrible at coming up with tourist things. Has anyone any suggestions. He's on his way from the airport now. I was thinking maybe an open top bus tour or something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Guiness Brewry
    Walk in Stephens Green
    Go to the pub

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Open top tour bus is cool - takes all day mind you if you get off at all the stops. Natural History musuem is good. National Art Gallery is good. Coffee in town outside on the street is good for looking at the local talent. Shopping in Liffey Valley is fun. Cinema on Parnell Street is impressive. A walk on one of the beaches along the Dart Line if he is a deep thinker. The Jameson Distillery tour is ok and the gift shop is worth a look. A pint in the Morrison Hotel. A pint in the Clarence Hotel. Lunch in Shanahans on the green. The Viking thingy in Christchurch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Originally posted by kmick
    A pint in the Morrison Hotel. A pint in the Clarence Hotel. Lunch in Shanahans on the green.

We don't all have money trees in our back garden. Especially the Shanahans bit. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Thanks guys, I think the guided bus tour from oconnell street will be the starter and then on to the Guiness Storehouse and maybe the Jameson Distillery. I'm not sure if the pub suits, I know he's very religous and he keeps in good shape so maybe he doesn't drink. Plus he's married (afaik) so no looking at local talent ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

The viking splash tour looks like good fun.. i must do it someday...

its the amphibious vehicle that goes into the water etc.. i think it goes up the liffey as well?

You get a viking hat with the big horns...

Leaves from St.Patricks cathedral just past christchurch and from st.stephens green...

• Advertisement

Ballooba - sometimes when people go on holidays or are entertaining someone they like to treat them. This is why I suggested these places. Perhaps you should think about how much you value treating yourself or a friend. If you find that spending money on yourself or others is an alien concept you may need a rethink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Ballooba - sometimes when people go on holidays or are entertaining someone they like to treat them. This is why I suggested these places. Perhaps you should think about how much you value treating yourself or a friend. If you find that spending money on yourself or others is an alien concept you may need a rethink.

WHOAH! That's *incredibly* harsh of you! You know you can treat someone without paying extortionate prices in places like Shanahans! Balooba is completely right - we don't all have money trees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Originally posted by Third_Echelon
    The viking splash tour looks like good fun.. i must do it someday...

its the amphibious vehicle that goes into the water etc.. i think it goes up the liffey as well?

You get a viking hat with the big horns...

Leaves from St.Patricks cathedral just past christchurch and from st.stephens green...

That tour goes by my house. It drives me up the wall listening to the same commentary every 15mins....especially all the Oirish crap they say!:D

It actually doesn't go up the liffy but the grand canal dock basin .

p

I gave a range of suggestions from going to the cinema to going for a pint in the Clarence to going to Shanahans. The comment was unhelpful to the general theme of the post and attacked me personally I felt. If it was harsh it was what I felt was fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Originally posted by pekelly
    That tour goes by my house. It drives me up the wall listening to the same commentary every 15mins....especially all the Oirish crap they say!:D

It actually doesn't go up the liffy but the grand canal dock basin .

p

Yeah it passes me as well... it looks like good fun though... probably need a few beers before going on it though... desensatise the oirishness of the thing....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Originally posted by Third_Echelon
    Yeah it passes me as well... it looks like good fun though... probably need a few beers before going on it though... desensatise the oirishness of the thing....

Might do the trick....:D

As for proper suggestions....there is also the ghost bus tour which i hear is good fun. Or maybe a night out at shelbourne park betting on the little horses (dogs).

p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I gave a range of suggestions from going to the cinema to going for a pint in the Clarence to going to Shanahans. The comment was unhelpful to the general theme of the post and attacked me personally I felt.

I didn't think he was attacking you at all? He was making a fair comment IMO. If you feel personally attacked by an innocent comment like balooba's then I don't think you'll like boards.ie very much :-/

The comment was unhelpful to the general theme of the post and attacked me personally I felt.

Wasn't attacking you, fighting on the internet is like the... (we all know the rest of that quote).

I put a smily after that to highlight the fact that i was joking.

I personally couldn't justify taking someone to Shanahan's no matter how important they were to me. That place is crazy expensive.

I do know people who can afford to go there though and sure whatever floats your boat.

I' probably put that kind of cash towards a holiday rather than one night.

Just an idea if its a nice day:

Get the DART out to Dun Laoighaire and go to Mao or one of the other joints below the 40 foot (bar) for lunch then Dart back to Pearse for a look around Trinity and Bank of ireland or something and then DART out to Howth for dinner in Aqua, King Sitric (both quite pricey), Bloody Stream or Abbey Tavern.

BTW Beshoff's in Howth is the worst chipper in the world. Cardboard chips and cráppy fish. Cafe Caira on the other hand is spot on.

Are you sure about Beshoff's? I think their chips are amazing! Haven't tried the fish as I'm a vegetarian. Cafe Caira on the other hand have terrible chips, straight out of a plastic bag into the fryer. At least Beshoff's are fresh and cut by themselves.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

skanger run bring him threw skanger infested areas:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

ya if he's a wrestler bring him to some skanger areas for some non-fake-wrestling practice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭boogie man

Beshoff's in howth is the best ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Try to avoid any areas with steel chairs. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

blah he's an american wrestler i'm sure his two braincells wouldn't have the faintest interest in culture, even if it did DDT him!

bring him to mickey D's and a department store, to remind him of home :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Odds on he has a bit of cash. So drive out to Johnny Foxes.

Originally posted by Superman
    blah he's an american wrestler i'm sure his two braincells wouldn't have the faintest interest in culture, even if it did DDT him!

bring him to mickey D's and a department store, to remind him of home :rolleyes:

That's a nice generalisation, you're on the internet on a message board so you must be spotty, have never kissed a girl, sleep in your moms bed and be allergic to the light as you rarely leave the basement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Originally posted by FX Meister
    Right, I have to entertain a guy who's coming to Dublin for the day, the guy happens to be AJ Styles, a wrestler from the U.S. and I'm terrible at coming up with tourist things. Has anyone any suggestions. He's on his way from the airport now. I was thinking maybe an open top bus tour or something?

I hope he gets a better reception as a tourist than he got as a wrestler here the last time he came - LOL..... least he didn't get as bad a reception as Buff Bagwell.... man that dude gets ragged on huge...... but the dumb f*** deserves it!!!!

Take him to an NWA Ireland show - lmao...... www.NWAIreland.com hehehehehehe

It was his first time in Ireland so he couldn't have got a bad reception before, and he's regarded as one of the best workers in the business today so I doubt he would get a bad one. NWA Ireland might not look good but their wrestlers aren't bad. On NWA:TNA the NWA Ireland shows are even advertised at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭ven0m

Originally posted by FX Meister
    It was his first time in Ireland so he couldn't have got a bad reception before, and he's regarded as one of the best workers in the business today so I doubt he would get a bad one. NWA Ireland might not look good but their wrestlers aren't bad. On NWA:TNA the NWA Ireland shows are even advertised at the end.

Dunno who I've confused him with then....... was under the impression it was AJ Styles.... guess I was wrong ..... god damn DIRTSHEETS - need to stop reading them...

I agree though - NWA Ireland is pretty decent, & am looking to start training with them myself sometime later in the year..... As for AJ, he is a decent performer in the ring, wouldn't take that away from him .......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

I can never take those wrestler guys seriously, they spend whole years of their lives in speedo's , rubbed in oil and pretending to wrestle other similar men.
    You never know if all else fails you and mister Slater can always catch up on some new wrestling;) moves in his hotel room.

Heres a question, Does he actually introduce himself as AJ Styles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gidotcom

It's only when you have to show a tourist around Dublin that you realise how rubbish a city it really is. There is nothing hat interesting to do here!

No, just AJ as it's his name. Do you introduce yourself as Superman?
    Originally posted by Superman
    I can never take those wrestler guys seriously, they spend whole years of their lives in speedo's , rubbed in oil and pretending to wrestle other similar men.
    You never know if all else fails you and mister Slater can always catch up on some new wrestling;) moves in his hotel room.

Heres a question, Does he actually introduce himself as AJ Styles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

i actually read this thread the morning you posted it and completely missed that you mentioned AJ styles. ya couldve brought him round to mine to watch TNA tapes. :D

god i need to get more coffee in the mornings.

• Advertisement
Advertisement