Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last nights Freeroll and 20-in in the fitz...

Options
  • 26-07-2004 11:45am
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Very odd night altogether but I really enjoyed the banter...

Got to both final tables only to have AQ not hit anything against TT on the final table of the freeroll, ah well, I have a ticket anyway but would have liked to bag another.

The 20-in was bizzarre all night... I got stuck on Joe's table and there were a couple of other gamblers there too! I dont like being on unpredictable tables, too often my nicely bet, reasonable hand gets steamrollered by one or other of the wreckless gits!

Things always seemed one hand behind if you know what I mean, all the cards I wanted to hit on this flop would come on the next one. I never seemed to know where I was in the hand and had to play timid more then I like to.

Nothing really happened for me untilI fluked a straight against Oscar (KJ is the AA-killer oscar, you know better then to call my all-in with AA man! :):) )

When I got moved to second last table I had about 5K which wasnt making me feel all warm gooey inside. Worse, Joe got moved to the same table but to my left. Ground my way to 14K and the only really eventful hand was some guy betting into a hand where Joe was all in with 5 others. I had A9 flop was j76 and the guy had q7 or some hand that gave him a pair of 7's in total. He bet and pushed me off the hand. Now thats fine if you have the guy who is all in dead and you are pretty sure of it but not on a mid pair!
    Sure enough Joe turns over K9 and rivers a 9. I had him dead but instead he shoots back up to 5K. Joe refused to go back in his box for the rest of the night and ran riot on the table taking any scalps I didnt (I seemed to pick my moments pretty well last night).

There was just no stopping Joe at final table. He bullied, stole, fluked and trashtalked his way into the money(3rd in fact). I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it! I went utterly the other direction. I put down so many decent hands preflop and played ultra tight-aggressive in order to make as far up the money as possible and let good fortune take me further if the cards fell for me.

One hand stands out, Rossa (DapperGent) made a 3K raise to my 3K big blind when he was 2nd from under the gun.Everyone folds to me and I have 77. I sit and go deep into the tank trying to recall how Rossa plays pairs or what could make him make a minimum raise on a final table that has previously been car-crash-central...
    Its only 3k more to call but there are alarm bells going off in my head and after an age I flip over the 7's looking for a reaction from Rossa ... who flips over queens (the tricksy little git!)

4-way I played A6 and felt I was in for a kicking when nearly everyone called my all in. In fact I had the only ace and noone had pairs but nothing came on the board for me and I walked with 200 notes. Cant complain really!

DeV.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Yup Well Done DeV. Great Night for Boards players with 4 of them on the Final Table, and three walking away with something to show for it (and Luke with the Bubble). Enjoyable final table, even if i did wish ye had just split the lot when it got to the final table. 200 each, 20 for the dealers, I'm off to bed.
    I hate having two jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by DeVore
    One hand stands out, Rossa (DapperGent) made a 3K raise to my 3K big blind when he was 2nd from under the gun.Everyone folds to me and I have 77. I sit and go deep into the tank trying to recall how Rossa plays pairs or what could make him make a minimum raise on a final table that has previously been car-crash-central...
    Its only 3k more to call but there are alarm bells going off in my head and after an age I flip over the 7's looking for a reaction from Rossa ... who flips over queens (the tricksy little git!)
    I remember that. At one stage during your mulling you asked me how much I had left. "Oh... umm.. about 15k." Please go over the top, please please go over the top!! All in!! Go wan!

I had a really fun night of poker (apart from getting outdrawn by Joe and Norman (twice) as is by now de rigeur) but was getting seriously pissed off by the blind levels. I went out in fifth when the blinds were 3k-6k I had 30k I think which made for a healthy stack in comparison to the others but it still left no room for manouver. Finding pocket nines on the button (i think) five handed is nice but what I really wanted to do was make a raise not go all in. But when a minimum raise is to 12k leaving me with 18k I really had no choice but to go all in and try to take the blinds (which at 9k are a huge pot in themselves), I met aces which was unfortunate- but it happens. What irked me was the feeling that I had no choices in how to play my cards. It just feels too random. Which irritates after all the ducking and diving you did to get to the final table.

I know it was like 2.30 or something and people have homes to go but we've all commited to having a late night anyway and the fitz isn't closing. I'd prefer for the final table to take a little longer but for it just to play out properly rather than as nonsensically as a thursday freeroll.

Having said all that I had a great time and even turned a slight profit on the marathon poker session. But there just has to be a better way of winding up a tournament than a ridiculous blind structure.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I remember that. At one stage during your mulling you asked me how much I had left. "Oh... umm.. about 15k." Please go over the top, please please go over the top!! All in!! Go wan!

Yeah you really didnt give off any perceptible tells either, you were very calm about it. It was just the bet and the situation that made me start thinking. A pair of 7s is pretty nice on final table when its 5 handed but some kind of spidey-sense was screaming that it was just toooooo nice a bet to call/raise. On another night and a different table I might have reraised through the roof but that table was playing so weird and freaky that for once I listened to the little voice in my head saying "let it go"... [1]

DeV.

[1]as opposed to the one saying "kill ... them... all...."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

That pair of sevens was my downfall.
    I had increased my stack with that pair of Kings a little bit, and was trying to hang on and steal blinds if I got the chance.
    Then I was in early position with a pair of sevens. Shoved all in and it was folded to a guy who almost apologeticaly calls with a pair of ones.

He just about had me covered and I didn't hit my set and off I walked.

It was very nice of you fuckers to call me back as I was walking out dejected, a spark of hope that rose up in me (maybe I had fluked a card on the river and missed it!),

"We're paying to 6th, we're giving you the bubble..."

Bastards.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If you dont want to play in a *freeroll* where about 10 people play for 1000 cash prizepool then I'll take it off your hands YOU UNGRATEFUL COCK MONKEY!!!! :p

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭biteme

Well that was a fun night of cards, I ended up coming 2nd. Made a deal that we both took home 500 and played for the 150. Eventually came down to him with 64d and me with KJh. All in... Call! He hits the 6 on the turn and it's over.

I'm happy with a 420 profit for the night though :)
    I seem pretty good cards for a good while and not hitting anything. Pulled down big pots when I was in blinds. Flop came QQQ and I'm holding KQ praying that someone will bet the turn or river. River comes, it's checked around and last to act goes all in. Yay! I almost double up.

Other huge pot was QQ7 on the flop. I'm holding 77 in SB. Someone with Q goes all-in for about 15000. I call and double my stack making me chip leader.

Final table I had biggest stack so was playing pretty conservatively. And layed down some huge hands, just because I really didn't think it was worth losing a good portion of my stack.

Was quite an enjoyable night of cards, our table for the freeroll was brillaint craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

If you dont want to play in a *freeroll* where about 10 people play for 1000 cash prizepool then I'll take it off your hands YOU UNGRATEFUL COCK MONKEY!!!! :p

DeV.
    I was supposed to be in it last month , but never got a text or email. Must ask Sharon the next time I'm in.
    The bubble is grand but its just a pain to finish just outside the money. That '100 off the top for sixth' is pretty normal practice at the final table these days.

I'm actually fairly surprised I got to the final table last night. Marq was dishing me up some fantastic 9-2 and 10-4 hands. Kept me out of trouble for a long time, until those feckin 7's.

How did dave do? He was setting high standards with his houses on the flop and slowplayed poker of Queens...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Must admit the most enjoyable bit of last night for me was the free-roll. Myself and a mate arrived late, so Sharon started getting players for a new table. Ended up with me, my mate, JP, Oscar and Dave. I was up and down like a fuqing yo-yo. Dealt myself some Kings, got loads of chips, then queens got busted by J-T on the next hand. A-Q gets fúcked by A-4, 5-5 by K-4 (I mean really, how are these people calling with these hands? - must be my uber-loose image). Best part was when for no reason at all we decided to play a hand of Omaha at our table, with one guy (who I swear had no clue what was going on) taking down a monster - about 3k in the pot with blinds at 50-100. It was ridiculous, but 20 quid well spent. It's good to have some friendly faces at the poker table.

Dave, vivien was quietly fuming when you bust him out with that house, but I think there was some grudging repsect for how you trapped him too. Hope your luck holds, you can't keep flopping full houses and quads forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Yeah the flash hand of omaha was enjoyable! The blinds crippled me at the final table with people on the steal. Joe reraised me when I knew he had nothing, but I couldnt justify an all in with Q4o. His trash talking at the final table entertained me no end though :D An enjoyable night of poker nonetheless, fooking tiring stuff though when you factor in a night on the sauce on Saturday followed by a round of golf first thing Sunday!

Thats what you get for "playing" golf! :D

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Thats what you get for "playing" golf! :D
    Golf is a great game. Thoroughly enjoyable. I seem to remember someone around here openly admitting to playing Quake....

Too right! At least you dont have to wear silly clothes to play that! (and it doesnt take 4 hours) :D

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Excuse me! It doesn't take me 4 hours to play a round......it's usually closer to 6 because i'm pretty God-awful!!

Advertisement