Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Battery for old Aladdin computer

Options
  • 26-07-2004 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Here's a little nugget of info that might be of use to some of you. I've been trying to source a replacement battery for an 11 year-old Uwatec Aladdin dive computer. This is the type that is retained by a screw-in cap on the side of the Aladdin. The battery is a 3.6v Lithium (identical in size to a standard 1.5v AA battery) with an LR-07 id number on it.

A well known Dublin dive shop quoted me €90 for a replacement. You can imagine my reaction, which is unprintable here. After a lot of googling I discovered that a Sonnenschein AA SL760 (Lithium 3.6v) works as a replacement for the original Aladdin battery. I ordered one from Battery Shed in the UK for £5 + £4 next day courier delivery to the ould sod.

Perhaps I should have bought a truckload and flogged them off here at a knockdown price of €80 :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Thanks for the information :)

It`s a bit strange because when i worked in a diveshop in Norway we only charged something like 15-20euro and that was with the new cap and O-ring that comes with the replacment set from Uwatec.

But the shops in Dublin ..or Ireland are a bit rip off sometimes :rolleyes:

I wish I had an old Aladin, the new ones are ridiculous conservative.
    I am in the market for an old one if someone has one lying around..

Jan-E.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

What dive shop was it...

Its a good idea to help fellow boardsters out by warning us of rip off merchants. Also if the offending copmany ever figured out they were getting bad press on the interweb from divers to divers... they might give up the old rip off ways.

Name and shame Anemone, name and shame my good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Anemone

Originally posted by Peace
    What dive shop was it...

I'm a bit reluctant to do that. The quote was over the phone. I'll give you a hint. They are close to GOD.

Originally posted by Anemone
    I'm a bit reluctant to do that. The quote was over the phone. I'll give you a hint. They are close to GOD.

GOD have always been about ripping people off. I would much rather buy stuff from the uk than giving my business to a rip off irish company.

Even in their sales they rip you off...

GOD GOD GOD nope, dont get that one :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Yes some companies aren't so great when it comes to the outdoors.

Ah....got it ;) bit slow, to much diving..

Originally posted by NordicDiver
    Ah....got it ;) bit slow, to much diving..

Too much 70m on air!

Anemone, I was just thinking, are u sure the person that quoted u did not quote u for the new type of uwatec computers that u cant change batterys yourselfe on ?

If so the price make sense...cant get it into my head that they would overcharge divers like this.

Well the guy who quoted me described it as 'the model you can screw the battery cap out of the side', which describes mine, and I told him it was 11 years old. Maybe he mistakenly quoted for the wrong one, I dunno.

Methinks the battery cap wasn't the only thing gettin' screwed.

• Advertisement

Just to finish off the story, the new battery arrived and it works. Although I did have to solder on some contact springs on the cables, to replace the solder tags on the old battery.

Then GOD is a ripp off place :(

Yes some soldering need to be done, the replacement battery has the ears on and make it a little bit more easy.

Advertisement