Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will this do for accessing my PC?

• 26-07-2004 12:21pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I want to be able to access my PC from my laptop downstairs and use the PC's internet connection (only dialup at the moment). Was looking into buying this

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=118982&cks=PRL

Would you recommend this for what I want? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Thats a DSL gateway as well, which you don't need if you are only on dialup. I'm not sure if you can use the 3com as a broadband modem (if you're thinking of upgrading that is) but I'm sure someone else on the board will be able to tell you

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=118981&cks=PRL

this is an access point that you can plug in to the pc and use to get on the internet. I have one, and its ok to use. You'll need a network card in your pc and a wireless card for your laptop also.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

so, even though I'm using Dialup, I should still be able to share the dialup connection with my laptop wirelessly? Hopefully, sometime in the not too distant future, Eircon might get the fingure out and upgrade my exchange but until then, Dialup will have to do. I just want to make sure that these Access Points will share the PC's internet connection, regardless of the type. I don't want something that needs a broadband internet connection connected directly. What about this one

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=121269&cks=PRL

Seems a good price???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Well, that second one is only 11b, which means its slower and less secure. I think its range may be considerably shorter than 11g as well, but I'm not sure.

To share a dialup connection you'll need to have the dialup and wireless access point connected to the desktop pc and then some sort of internet sharing or proxy server running (analogx do a free proxy server called proxyi. Tres easy to set up). This means that if you want to use your laptop, the desktop needs to be turned on. AFAIK you cannot just bang in a phone cable to a DSL gateway and expect to be able to connect to the internet.

So, basically you can share any sort of internet connection with the laptop, provided your desktop is up and running and connected to the internet itself. If you do get broadband then there are wireless access points & routers available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

You havn't mentioned the operating system used on the desktop.

XP and 2000 provide internet connection sharing, XP being the easier to set up.

Then all you need is a network connection between laptop and computer.

----
    Option, Spending as little as possible...

As you want to go wireless and I assume you want to be mobile with the laptop, you require a 802.11g PCMCIA card or USB 802.11 device (usb 1.1 based is slower and probably less range),

Then at the computer you can get either
    a wireless PCi card, that'll connect to the laptop card in peer to peer mode.
    a wireless access point/router which connects to your PC using it's network port.

---
    The option I chose was an router, with a serial port (to connect a dial-up modem) and wan port (for DSl later) and printer port so I don't need the PC to be switched on to use printer and internet.

Also doesn't depend on windows for security.
    DLink DI-824VUP if you can find it, or the out-of-date SMC Barricade.
    Pretty rare though.

Be aware that the manufacturers massively exaggerate the indoor range on these devices. Maybe they test them in classical japanese dojos with paper walls.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

this is what I went for in the end:

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=292

I also installed Proxy+ and it all works perfectly. Thanks for the advice lads!

• Advertisement
Advertisement