Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting Hand

• 26-07-2004 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭

$2 $4 no limit game on VC. Both the villain any myself have $400, I have just sat down.

After several limpers I get 22 on the button. The small blind min raises (!) and everyone calls.

The flop is a lovely 2 2 8

Everyone checks to me and I bet $20. I have a really tight image usually, but I didnt recognise any of

these players so I thought it was worth while.

The small blind and one of the limpers call.

Turn is an 8

They check to me and I bet $40. The small blind raises to 100 and the limper folds. I flat call the

raise.

The river is a third 8, putting 2 2 8 8 8 on the board.

He goes all in for the rest of his stack; around $180.

I didnt have a read on him at all, I have seen quads played like this before (massive overbet on the

river). I waited until the last second and called, he was playing the board. It was a bad call in a way

because I was sure I was going to see the case 8, what made me call in the end was that I could not put

the small blind of a hand which he would min raise with that contained an 8.

Now the mistake I made here was my play up to the river was designed to induce a bluff, and I got one,

I shouldnt of thought twice about calling.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

He probably put you on a 2, A2 suited perhaps?
    When he raised you on the turn he was representing the 8, trying to get you to think he had the full house , 8's full of 2's.
    If you had a single 2 in your hand then you'd be caught trying to figure out if he had the 8 in his hand to beat your 2's full of 8's.

When the 8 came on the river then if you held just a single 2 it was dead anyway, the board shows a better hand. At that stage he could throw it all in and be playing the board without any real chance of losing.
    The only thing that had him beat was 22, or a bigger pocket pair for the bigger house. And your play hadn't indicated this to be the case.
    In his mind he'd win by you folding or splitting the pot.

You played it nicely, he did exactly what you wanted him to. Only thing that had you beat was the 8 in his hand. And you wouldn't have got away either as he'd have played it in a very similar way. Imho

Advertisement