Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IOL Broadband Webcam

• 26-07-2004 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

I've just spent 15 mins on hold at IOL to try and install the webcam that came with the broadband trial.

I am in no means a newbie and of course I have RTFM but I can't get the cam set up in XP Pro, it keeps bombing out saying cannot install driver.

Anyone else had this prob or assistance would be great otherwise I'll have to sit on the phone later :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

remove the device from the device manager - if it exists
    install the software that came with it first (before plugging it in)
    then plug it in - for some reason it works that way

....well it did for me anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Yes, make sure the device is plugged OUT when installing the driver, as is the case with virtually all USB device installs.

I doubt IOL even provide the support for the webcam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

It was just something they've sourced from Taiwan to buffer up the deal!

I for one am keeping it in the box!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭naitkris

could anyone tell me what make and model the webcam is? i ordered IOL broadband recently (won't get it for a few weeks i presume), but would like to know if the webcam is any good or if i should buy a better one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hi,

The company who make the free IOL BB webcam can be found at: http://www.chicony.com/

I had the same problems as the first user V1llianous, so it appears the CD that came with the webcam contains the wrong drivers.

If you check the drivers section (Image Products) of the site above, try either the 2120 or 2110 drivers. The 2110 drivers worked for me.

- Neil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

do you get to keep the cam if you return the modem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭dogz

no u keep it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

i got iol bb a week ago and the cam i got is excellent but cant see further than 4meters. its still not too bad at all. my driver worked purfectly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 refused

bump because I was searching the forums for this exact problem and the search function never found it.
    Cheers for the direct link Moriarty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

heh, i've been having the same problem with the drivers.
    **** webcam tbh, no power or shutter switches, so you have to unplug it for peace of mind

/edit
    40mb???
    what the hell???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 refused

Yeah the size pisses me off. They must include all the crappy software that comes on the cd rather than just the driver.
    Btw - the link is ftp and I strongly suggest you download it with an ftp client rather than with a web browser so you can resume when it stops half way through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Try connecting it through a different USB slot, worked for me for a few things ie. Webcam, Bluetooth device, iPod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

it also comes with a little microphone (clip on). I've left the camera in the box but the microphone works well. used it on MSN and Skype for calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

It was just something they've sourced from Taiwan to buffer up the deal!

CHINA actually!!

ah its crap but its... free!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

i've given up on this piece of crap now :D
    tried removing the drivers and the entry in device manager multiple times, and installing either the drivers from the cd or the downloaded ones.
    no freaking luck :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭mrhappy42

I had problem with camara before but was using a USB hub as laptop has only one USB port...this solved the issue. At least the weather is crap so your not wasting your day completly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

direct link here to the driver you need. although it's a bit heavy at 39.7mb. for a webcam. dammit. thank god for broadband i suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Borris

iol bb relised two diffrent camras, the dc-2110 and the dc-2120.
    you will find the modol number on the usb cable. you can get either driver from this link
    http://www.chicony.com/download/di/driver.asp

Advertisement