Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overmars ends playing career

• 26-07-2004 1:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭

Jaysus now theres a shock. According to this article he was having knee problems.

Well here is a shout out to one of the Arsenal greats, no matter what your affiliation is I'm sure you will agree that Marc Overmars was a delight to watch when he was in full flow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3926605.stm

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

yeah its a shame but im honestly not to surpised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

I heard this earlier on SKY Sports News .

he says its because he cant play at the same standard he has been playing for a long time know .

probably better he retires , then go to a poor league , or drop down a few divisions .(that way we can remember him for the mafnificent player he was , rather than a poor player he would become by continueing too long )

I was suprised at bit though , because he was one of the quickest players in Euro 2004 .

I wonder if he had never picked up that major injury while he was young , what quality of player would he have become .

I for one will miss seeing magical Overmars .
    a great player:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,314 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Thats very sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

just shows you the thin line there is in footy nowadays...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Shame, great player. If it wasn't for the injuries that have blighted him and that he thought Barcelona was going to be mecca, i'd probably rather have him than Pires.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Personally, I will always remember Overmars fondly. After the Ireland-Holland match in Dublin in Sept '01, I was trying to get a Holland jersey signed by a player or too. Marc was one of the few players who made time for autographs. He took the jersey onto the players' coach for me and got it signed by eleven players. Considering the Dutch had been effectively knocked out of the World Cup that day, it was a nice touch :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

lol, i like your sig shamrok

i'm surprised that hes retired, he'd looked useful in euro 2004 and easily outpaced c. ronaldo

Advertisement