Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Le Tallec refuses to go on US tour

• 26-07-2004 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭

Despite being picked in Liverpool's 23 man squad to tour the US, Anthony Le Tallec has refused to travel.

He requested a meeting with Benitez and said that if couldnt be guaranteed first team football, he'd be better off staying at home and looking for a club to go on loan to. Benitez agreed, so he'll be on his way as soon as he finds a club, presumably for a season.

Thats a pity as he looks a real talent. Though maybe it will work out for the best. For someone of his potential quality I'd say a half-season loan would be better than a full season.

Other first team squad players who werent picked to go to the US were:

Diouf, Welsh, Mellor (inj), Partridge, Potter, Vignal, Diarra, Medjani, Luzi, and Otsemobor.

I thought Welsh was going to be a first team player in the short term, but it looks like he's not going to make it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I am surprised Diouf is not going. He does have talent. Not surprised by Le Tallec. I assume Pongolle has been included?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

pongolle is included.
    v. surprised by le tallec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

thats not a great attitude at his age TBH, if he were older maybe, but after his game against wrexham Rafa must rate him and to demand 1st team football when the manager hasn't laid out who he views as his first 11 is a bit of a strop. Shame TBH cos if that happened in CM4 I'd show the player the door :ninja:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

bad news for richie partridge too, he really has stalled at the pool, i think his career will be a case of what should have been

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Benitez agreed
    Le Tallec must have asked Benitez if he was part of his first team plans and if he would be better off going out on loan. The manager feels he would be better going out on loan and its getting a bit late as the Division 1 is starting soon. The title of the thread seems a bit harsh on the lad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Originally posted by cheesedude
    I am surprised Diouf is not going. He does have talent. Not surprised by Le Tallec. I assume Pongolle has been included?

Diouf hasn't even been given a squad number for this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

He must be an exceptionally annoying person then. His footballing skills are fairly good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Le Tellac to Aston Villa, anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I would assume that LeTallec asked Benitez if he could guarantee him a reasonable number of first team appearances during the season. It seems like quite a good move for both Liverpool and the player himself. A year of first team football at another club will improve him and increase his value to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

at his age, he is better off at a smaller team with a good manager and coach for a season.
    i have a funny feeling portsmouth might be the way he goes (don't know why)

if he gets 15-25 matches this season it will be good for him. same as bentley move i expect gain experience and make mistakes on other teams time :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    Le Tellac to Aston Villa, anyone?

Would'nt be suprised, cheap enough for Deadly Doug while enough potential for O'Leary to be interested.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

It's disappointing to see Liverpool once again failing to bring a promising young player into the fold. Le Tallec is every bit as promising as Christiano Ronaldo and I'm almost certain AF would have given him more of a chance to prosper (it really hurts me to admit that).

Aston Villa would be a positive move however....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Apparently he had the idea that he should have a right to a starting place and had been pencilled in for the US tour.

He was told that no one was guaranteed a place in the team as they were all being assessed and so Benitez told him that it would be in his best interests to go on loan for the season.

Every one is starting from scratch, well apart from Owen and Cisse, and everyone is out to impress Rafa.

And if they don't then they could be joining Diouf out in the cold!

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    Diouf hasn't even been given a squad number for this season.

best news i have heard in a while

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Originally posted by Nuttzz
    best news i have heard in a while

youve got to be kidding me - under benitez's reign smicer and biscan seem to be fantastic.
    diouf could be great with proper direction.

Originally posted by mayordenis

the only direction he needs are the ones to John Lennon Airport in Liverpool. He had 1 reasonable world cup thats all, he did f'all before and f'all since

how can you talk about benitez's reign before a competitive match has been played?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Originally posted by mayordenis
    youve got to be kidding me - under benitez's reign smicer and biscan seem to be fantastic.

Ur havin a laugh! Even Houiller said that he was useless more or less! biggest waste of 10 mil I have ever seen.....didnt even have that good of a WC I though....better players in Senegal than him! best thing Liverpool cud do is sell him on for 2-3 mil and cut there loses!

Le Tallec to Shef Wed....he wud get his game and hopefully get us promoted! haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Diuof could be going to Malaga as they are said to have shown an interest.

Le Tallac could also be on his way on loan to St Etienne as they are quite keen on a loan deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Hopefully he'll be loaned to a premiership side. He has the quality to get a place in the first team squad of a good number of premiership sides, and would give him the chance to adapt to the game, as well as being easily kept tabs on by Benitez and co.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Sensational tabloid headline if ever there was! :D

Making a mountain out of a mole hill. Benitez has had one to one meetings with all of the players in the squad. Le Tallec was told that Benitez wants to sort out the balance of the midfield before he can accomodate Le Tallec in the team and the most he could promise him was 15 games this coming season. Le Tallec was hoping for 25 games plus the reserve games and the two agreed that it was best for the player to go on loan for the season to get the first team football he requires to develop. Benitez suggested that Le Tallec stay behind and try to find a club for a loan deal, if by the time the season starts he hasn't done so he will be a member of the first team squad. Le Tallec agreed with him.

Diouf on the other hand has been told in no uncertain terms to f**k off. Benitez has said he can go on loan for the remainder of his contract (3 seasons) or leave on a transfer - the choice is up to the player. The reason for the falling out is that Diouf believes that outside of turning up for training and matches the club rules don't apply to him.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Bannor
    Sensational tabloid headline if ever there was! :D

Making a mountain out of a mole hill. Benitez has had one to one meetings with all of the players in the squad.
    That's funny, I've read an interview with Hyypia where he says he hasn't sat down and spoken with the manager:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by p.pete
    That's funny, I've read an interview with Hyypia where he says he hasn't sat down and spoken with the manager:confused:
    Was the interview in a tabloid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Originally posted by Bannor
    Benitez suggested that Le Tallec stay behind and try to find a club for a loan deal, if by the time the season starts he hasn't done so he will be a member of the first team squad. Le Tallec agreed with him.

I agree with you on most things Bannor, but I believe you are wrong here.

2 days before the trip to the US, Benitez named his 23 man squad. This was published on the Official Liverpool Website. Le Tallec was in it. Benitez wanted to bring him.

The following day it was Le Tallec who approached Benitez. This is also confirmed in one of the thousands of interivews Benitez has given to the Liverpool website. Le Tallec asked for guarantees of first team action. Benitez could give him no guarantees. Le Tallec said in that case he did not want to go to the US. He said his time would be better spent looking for a club to go on loan to. Benitez allowed him to do this.

Originally posted by DapperGent
    Was the interview in a tabloid?
    No it was on the ic Liverpool website.

Advertisement