Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remind me why NTl planned on splashing out 100m into their network

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Its a sad truth that NTL won't expand any further to existing towns and will only continue to connect new estates.

If they had gone and expanded a few years a go (before everyone got Sky) then NTL would be rolling around in the money and could afford to deliver BB to areas apart from Dublin.

However, a cash-strapped NTL of a few years a go could not afford that, so now they're biding their time, earning money from their current subscribers and then... BAM! They'll deliver BB to other cities...

Thats what I hope anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Bye then dlofnep. Take care. Have a nice life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by dlofnep
    I started this thread to talk about why NTL announced a 100m rollout and expanding their broadband network, to then turn around and say that they had no future plans for waterford.
    The person you spoke to didn't know of any plans for Waterford. But they also didn't know of any plans for Blanchardstown, Santry, Ballinteer, Rathmines or Phibsboro.

NTL announced a €100 million, multi-year program. That will be broken down into phases. Waterford isn't in the current phase (the next 6-9 months). It might be in the next phase. It might not. I've seen nothing in this thread to suggest that it should be in the next phase.

For example, someone has pointed out that NTL need broadband as a way to keep people from defecting to Sky. How prevalent is Sky in Waterford? If every 2nd house in Waterford sported a Sky dish, NTL might well want to get BB in there as fast as possible. If Sky dishes are few and far between, though, the NTL aren't under quite as much pressure there. But so far, nobody from Waterford has suggested what's so special about Waterford that would make NTL consider upgrading Waterford sooner. (Apart from the state of the cable infrastructure in Waterford - can anyone who actually knows in Waterford tell us whether the infrastructure is sufficiently better in Waterford that rolling out broadband would be easier/quicker than it is in Dublin? Or was someone getting mixed up with a Casey Cablevision area?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

For those of you thinking we get the raw deal, check this out: http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?p=2396163#post2396163

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

100m rollout sounds about right.

That's 100metres they meant, not 100million - those clever NTL goons!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Without trying to dredge up a fight here I think one of the big factors for NTL is that they have already laid down a lot of the wiring the needed and upgraded etc so that Dublin could get cable internet.

I know that my street was torn up so they could upgrade the lines to suit it all. This was of course back in the day when they'd say yeah it'll be available in 6 months (same story every 6 months). Then of course everything stopped. NTL began teetering every closer to that bankruptcy edge or well the edge of not enough funds to be bothered rolling out this new fangled technology. This would be before DSL was even available iirc.

Advertisement