Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andy Reid and Spurs

• 26-07-2004 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭

Tottenham have had a second bid of £3million for Nottingham Forest midfielder Andy Reid rejected by the Championship club.

Forest rejected a £5million approach from Spurs for the Ireland international in the January transfer window, and manager Joe Kinnear has suggested he values his chief asset in the region of £10million.

Tottenham sporting director Frank Arnesen has made a fresh approach just 24 hours after Reid criticised Forest for failing to strengthen the squad over the summer.

Forest chief executive Mark Arthur told the club website, www.nottinghamforest.co.uk "We rejected Tottenham's offer of £5million for Andy in January, so I don't know what now makes them think we would be willing to do business at £3million."

Reid, who has also been linked with Charlton, scored 13 goals for Forest last season and established himself as one of the most exciting players outside the Premiership.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/04/07/26/SOCCER_Tottenham_Reid.html

No chance lads for 3m, I thought he would be sold well before now but there has not been a lot of interest in him

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

It would be good to see him in the Premiership.

A bid of just over £5million should be good enough , with maybe a sell on clause % to sweeten the deal .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Reid is a lot better now than Duff was at 21. When Duff was 21 he also played in Division 1 with Blackburn. He played 32 games and scored 1 goal. Reid is his clubs highest scorer and the highest scoring midfielder in Division 1 with 13 goals. He also got more assists than anyone in division 1 with 14. Duff played for a promoted team, Reid played for a team fighting against relegation. To be the best player outside the premiership (IMO) at the age of 21 is some acheivement, I am suprised there is so little interest in him.

People really underestimate the nationwide. John Stead came from division 3 and he is probably Blackburn's no.1 striker now.

Division 3 Eirebhoy , John Stead came from Division 3 .

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Originally posted by Big Ears
    Division 3 Eirebhoy , John Stead came from Division 3 .

nationwide covers div 1,2 and 3

Originally posted by mayordenis
    nationwide covers div 1,2 and 3

I know that , Eirebhoy said division 1 is where John Stead came from , I pointed out its division 3 , and Eirebhoy has corrected his post .

but now its coca-cola championship , League 1 and League 2 anyway .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I think if Forest recived a a bid over £5million i think they would have to sell him. why would spurs come back with a £3million bid after the £5mill was rejected. I'm surprised with the lack of clubs intrested in Reid. I know hardly any clubs have £10million to spend on 1 player but i thought Forest would be getting bids every few days for him. I would love to see Reidy in the Premiership but Division 1( i refuse to call i the coca-cola championship) isnt the worst league in the world, i just hope he is not in another releagation battle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

We're taking the pi*s if we think Forest will sell him for £3 million, but I do think they are open to improved offers, so the comments on the website by Forest's CX should be seen as part of the haggling process.

There has to be more tha £3 million in the bank...

Forest must be desperate for a bit of cash, from spurs.co.uk:
    Regarding comments in today's press that we have made an offer for Andy Reid, he is a player we admire but we have not made an offer for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

well he is exactly what we need and have the cash for him..think arnesen is a bit secpital of him as he has not played at the highest level and when you think the arse signed van pierse for 2.5.

would love to get reid on me jersey next year!!

KINNEAR TELLS SPURS TO UP REID OFFER
    Nottingham Forest boss Joe Kinnear has told Tottenham they would sell star midfielder Andy Reid if they up their offer to £5 million.

The Championship side claimed they rejected a £3 million bid earlier this week for the Republic of Ireland international only for Spurs to deny they made an offer for the player.

Kinnear laughed off the £3 million bid, but hinted that Forest could be prepared to do business if they increase their offer.

"Tottenham are really just having a laugh," said Kinnear. "Last Christmas they put in writing an offer of £5 million, and now they have come back and offered £2 million plus another million after games - there is only one answer to that.

"Since that offer went in he has ended up with 13 goals and five more international caps for his country - does that make him go down £3 million?

"If they want him enough they should go back to their original offer, but there is no chance of him leaving until we get the required amount."

I wonder why Kinnear wants to get rid of Reid all of a sudden. Maybe Reid left in a transfer request or he's doing it for the good of Reid's career.

There is also strong rumours that Spurs have offered £3.5 + Richards and Brown and a deal will be done by Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

Originally posted by eirebhoy
    KINNEAR TELLS SPURS TO UP REID OFFER

I wonder why Kinnear wants to get rid of Reid all of a sudden. Maybe Reid left in a transfer request or he's doing it for the good of Reid's career.

There is also strong rumours that Spurs have offered £3.5 + Richards and Brown and a deal will be done by Saturday.

Reid wants out, there were a few rumours that he has handed in a transfer request to Kinnear.

His attitude has been questioned as well and he comes across as a bit mardy at times. TBH myself and a lot of Forest fans won't miss him if we get a good price for him and buy a few players with the cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Didnt Reid come out and say that Forest where going nowhere if they didnt spend in the transfer market a few days before Spurs put in there bid??? read that somewhere! he said they had no ambition or something similiar! Spurs knew that Forest wanted rid so though a cheeky 3 mil bid wud prise him away! seems they will hold out for the 5mil.....at tis stage Reid wants PL footie to progress his Ireland career and has been sayin this more or less since Spurs first bid in January

Originally posted by Harry2001
    His attitude has been questioned as well and he comes across as a bit mardy at times. TBH myself and a lot of Forest fans won't miss him if we get a good price for him and buy a few players with the cash.
    The Forest fans' attitudes are worse. Without Reid Forest would have been relegated last season. He's on a £3k per week contract in the first division, surely the fans must understand he has to move to progress his career. Blackburn fans don't hold anything against Duff for wanting to move and they came 6th in the premiership the season he left. Defoe handed in a transfer request the day after WH got relegated but the fans just accept he is too good for division 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Harry2001

The Forest fans' attitudes are worse. Without Reid Forest would have been relegated last season. He's on a £3k per week contract in the first division, surely the fans must understand he has to move to progress his career. Blackburn fans don't hold anything against Duff for wanting to move and they came 6th in the premiership the season he left. Defoe handed in a transfer request the day after WH got relegated but the fans just accept he is too good for division 1.

Nobody is blaming him for wanting to leave (that has been coming for a while) it's his attitude that is pissing people off.

Accoring to SKy Sports News Kinnear said Forest rejected a £2 million bid .

well 3 seemed low but 2 is just pushing it .

Blackburn fans don't hold anything against Duff for wanting to move and they came 6th in the premiership the season he left.

Duff didnt want to go. Chelsea triggered the £17million release clause in his contract. If Chelsea had of fecked off after £15million bid been rejected, I think Duffer would still be with Blackburn.

I dont know if it would be good for Reid to go to Spurs, i would love for him to be in the Premiership but not with Spurs(sorry Spurs fans). they are not having a good pre season and missed out on relagation last season. I would hate for Reid to go from a Division 1 relagation dog fight to a Premiership relagation dog fight.

Originally posted by Dewey
    Duff didnt want to go.
    The £17m clause meant that any club who offered that amount was given permission to talk to Duff. Souness didn't want to sell Duff. If Duff didn't want to go he would have rejected the Chelsea offer and stayed with Blackburn. It was up to Duff and he left. Where did you hear he didn't want to leave?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Reid is a lot better now than Duff was at 21. When Duff was 21 he also played in Division 1 with Blackburn. He played 32 games and scored 1 goal. Reid is his clubs highest scorer and the highest scoring midfielder in Division 1 with 13 goals. He also got more assists than anyone in division 1 with 14. Duff played for a promoted team, Reid played for a team fighting against relegation.

Stats and figures dont mean everything though. Reid has has a great season, but people were standing up and taking notice of Duff when he was 18. Reid isnt rated THAT highly in England, other wise better clubs than spurs would be showing an interest, and they would be offering more than £5M. Reid started last season great but he stopped scoring so often in the second half of the season, he still has so much to prove, something that Duff didnt at 21, everyone knew he was special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

I dont know why any other big clubs aren't into Ried.I for one think he is a great player and spurs will have to do better if Forest are to accept.

Where did you hear he didn't want to leave?

well what Duffer said was he only left for Champions League football. he said if Chelsea werent in the Champions League then he would of stayed a Blackburn because they had UEFA Cup football and he loves the club, he also said one day he might join Blackburn again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

ok, newcastle have had interest in robert. if he goes newcastle will have no left winger(i think). i think newcastle would be a good move for him. And no one needs a lazy player like robert!

evilhomer wrote:
    ok, newcastle have had interest in robert. if he goes newcastle will have no left winger(i think). i think newcastle would be a good move for him. And no one needs a lazy player like robert!

Espanyol is where the interest is from , and James Milner has no problem playing left side .

and im sure they could always recall Viana .

Reid has just handed in a transfer request.

I can now see where your coming from Harry. As much has he has a valid reason for doing what he's doing I'm disappointed he has done at this late stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

eirebhoy wrote:
    Reid has just handed in a transfer request.

I can now see where your coming from Harry. As much has he has a valid reason for doing what he's doing I'm disappointed he has done at this late stage.

It is late but they just rejected a bid from Spurs last week and then declared that it would have to be at least 5million. He's probably been humming and hawing between his head and his heart since then.
    I for one hope he does move, even to Norwich or someone.

I for one hope he does move, even to Norwich or someone.

why would you want him to go to Norwich?? i would be terrible if Reid was to a premiership club only to go back down into Divsion 1 at the end of the season. I would like to see him at Charlton. I'm a little surprised that he handed in a transfer request. i hope he doesnt do a Saha or a Carmara.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Bungalow Bill

The point I was making was not in relation to my love for Norwich but that he should try get into the premiership at all costs for exposure if nothing else. Of course I would rather see him at a better club.

Dewey wrote:
    i hope he doesnt do a Saha of a Carmara.
    I don't think Reid is that kind of person, in fact I'm certain Reid isn't like that. Reid is a really nice chap which is why I'm suprised he's done what he did. I doubt he'll be sold and the fans are going to be on his back all season.

Advertisement