Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hosting / domain transfer

Options
  • 26-07-2004 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭

the webhosting forum is still shut down, so hope this is an okay place for this post. feel free to move.

i have my own personal website, i got the domain and hosting four years ago at easyspace.com (doh). anyway my current package expires in about 6 weeks and i want out.

so, im thinking of transferring my domain to godaddy.com this week and when thats all done to transfer my hosting to hasweb.com in mid august.

is this a common/recommended combination (i.e. hosting and domain with two seperate companies) ?. will i have to let godaddy.com know about nameservers etc of the current and (in a few weeks) the new hosting company?.

any other tips for people who have transferred before?

dw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Originally posted by drrnwbb
    is this a common/recommended combination (i.e. hosting and domain with two seperate companies) ?

For the more savvy user, it probably is .. for simple websites, its probably not. If you choose a good host, you should have no problems transferring away from them, unless they are less than reputable (or you owe them money!)
    will i have to let godaddy.com know about nameservers etc of the current and (in a few weeks) the new hosting company?.

Current: yes, unless you want to use their free URL redirection. You probably should use the current DNS servers though. Future: yes, again, unless you want to use the URL redirection.

URL redirection / DNS Servers are specified in the control panel once you login.
    any other tips for people who have transferred before?

Can't think of any obvious ones .. you're right to get started early though, as it may take some time to get the current registrar to release the domain, if they're anything but helpful.

HTH
    .cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Hey dw,

This may be of some assistance, http://www.register365.ie/transfer_guidelines.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

cheers for the tips .cg, i started the domain transfer process last night, my current registrar emailed this morning to make sure it was authorised, so that part is going well.

thanks for the link steve, you just got in a few hours too late :)

dw

Advertisement