Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which service

• 26-07-2004 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

hi all,
    am thinking about getting broadband and am not sure of who to go with.
    From looking through other posts in this forum it seems Eircon is out anyway..
    Am thinking between Esat/IOL, Digiweb and UTV.
    I dont do gaming so shouldnt have a problem with UTV.
    I will do a fair amount of downloading though. Anyone any views of which is the best service?
    Was also thinking, and i hope someone corrects me if im wrong, that going for a "lesser known" ISP, would be an advantage. With less people connected to the service i should get a better contention ratio.??
    Also, i would need a provider that supplies an Ethernet modem, not just a USB one.
    If anyone has any advice i would like to hear it.
    thanks

brooksp

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by brooksp
    Also, i would need a provider that supplies an Ethernet modem, not just a USB one.
    UTV only supply a USB modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 gidotcom

UTV screwed me with my contract.
    I signed up for 12 months at 47 euro
    then they introduced a lower price at 25 euro for the same service and wouldnt let me change unless i signed up for another 12 months.

REALLY BAD customer service!

Also they are enforcing their caps and are charging anyone that goes over the cap.
    I would not reccomend them unless they changed their policies.

Check out irishbroadband.ie - it's uncapped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

From looking through other posts in this forum it seems Eircon is out anyway..

Ive seen some of the posts around here about eircom but there all aload of crap , we have had eircom business starter since march this year and i can *hand to heart* that we have never had an problem with the service or support if an problem arose.

The only downside as people keep mentioning is the Cap, but the wicklow regional sales guy says the caps are getting boosted so theres that complaint out the window!

If you want an Low Ping reliable 24/7 service go eircom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

I've had no probs with Digiweb, 20GB cap, static IP and pings are as good as Eircom's.

Also, try NTL as they are now apparently rolling out cable broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

Give us a bit more info , where are you based and what services are available to you ?
    If you can only get the eircom resold dsl product and no gaming wanted then UTV should be fine but need a better idea of what u intend to use it for .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 brooksp

Am based in Sligo. Can only get DSL service here.
    Will be using it mostly for browsing and some downloads.
    I have been spoiled up to now as i have a connection through the local college, but they have recently restricted it to HTTP only, cant even use FTP.
    So am thinking i will get a connection at home.
    Cheers for the replies up to now.

brooksp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by brooksp
    Am based in Sligo. Can only get DSL service here.
    Will be using it mostly for browsing and some downloads.
    I have been spoiled up to now as i have a connection through the local college, but they have recently restricted it to HTTP only, cant even use FTP.
    So am thinking i will get a connection at home.
    ESAT have their own gear in the Slgo exchange as far as I can remember (they've deleted the map from their website). So if they're still selling it, you should be able to get ESAT's own DSL product, as well as the resold eircom service from eircom, iol or UTV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Originally posted by Blitz
    The only downside as people keep mentioning is the Cap, but the wicklow regional sales guy says the caps are getting boosted so theres that complaint out the window!

Sales Reps, Eircom ones inparticular, will tell you any old rubbish in order to get their commision. I'd take that information with a pinch of salt.

Advertisement