Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roadside Memorials....

• 26-07-2004 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭

Found this looking for accomodation in Stradbally, oddly enough.

Everyone has driven past one at some time or another so here they are.

LINK

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

what a weird pastime that guy has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

in france , it's really disturbing because all along the roads they have black plastic figures representing all the people that died in accidents...this really upset me as i was on the road for nearly 10hours and all i saw were these deaths.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Originally posted by Sleipnir
    Found this looking for accomodation in Stradbally, oddly enough.

Everyone has driven past one at some time or another so here they are.

LINK

I'm not sure what to think.....very strange hobby and i can't help but feel it's intrusive to those who have lost loved ones.....

p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

What a morbid hobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,626 ✭✭✭smoke.me.a.kipper

very strange indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its always struck me that no-one else dose these things quite like the Irish do. I drive for a living so see a lot of them, some are just horrific in thier tacky extravigance.

Waterford-Tramore road A killing ground.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,234 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Originally posted by pekelly
    i can't help but feel it's intrusive to those who have lost loved ones.....

if the people want to put up markers of where their loved ones died, to be reminded of it everytime they pass by, then it's not their problem if someone photographs them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

Originally posted by mike65
    Waterford-Tramore road A killing ground.

When I saw the title of Sleipnir's original post, one of those memorials was the first one that came to mind, despite having driven past it only twice.

tramore2.jpg

It's close to the Waterford end of the Tramore Road, and really noticable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Originally posted by RobertFoster
    if the people want to put up markers of where their loved ones died, to be reminded of it everytime they pass by, then it's not their problem if someone photographs them.

I suppose....but i still find it a bit morbid...

p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

what a ****ed up hobby

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Reading the guys introduction it seems like he's just commemorating the memory of people we speed by in our cars every day. Don't see anythng f***ed up about it really given his motivation for creating the site.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Lainey

everytime i pass one i have to bless myself..

dangerous driving whilst constantly blessing myself.. just feel i have to, don't know who i got that off..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

That's a really gaudy hideous site for such a subject. I mean, it's one thing to go around logging all these memorials, but it's another thing to display them in such a manner. Eugh.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

At the entrance to my estate in Swords theres a headstone.
    No offence to the people who put it there, but it annoys the **** out of me everytime I see it. You often see people tending the flowers around it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

how could it possibly 'annoy' you?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Because if I wanted to see headstones where I live, i'd have moved next to a graveyard.

I know that it represents someone that has died and I'm aware that someone has done it for a reason, but I think that as a home owner I have a right not to be confronted with a religious symbol of death everytime I leave my house.

I've seen smaller road signs having to abide by planning regulations, so why not headstones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by delly
    I've seen smaller road signs having to abide by planning regulations, so why not headstones?
    What makes you think they don't?
    If you don't want to see the stone just ignore it as you pass by, the relatives obviously get some comfort out of having the thing there. Show some compassion for them rather than being so self absorbed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

the worst thing for me is all of his typo's, it really seems disrespectful because it demonstrates flippancy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Originally posted by delly
    Ibut I think that as a home owner I have a right not to be confronted with a religious symbol of death everytime I leave my house.

Well, .........you don't.

Of course if it has to be "me, me, me" why don't you complain to the family?

Wouldn't be too hard to find them (you could use the database above) and you could give them a really hard time
    and then ask if they had applied for planning permission.
    Would it make you feel better?

Or would you not have the guts?

What about that "religious" symbol in Omagh? Should we knock that down?

Or the War Memorial near the Phoenix Park? Bit of an eye-sore really.

• Advertisement

You don't have to live with it, so what makes your opinion right and mine wrong? I'm not saying it ruins my life, just that I don't like it on my doorstep.

Also, YOU asked for my reasons and I gave them, no need to get so smart about it and bring in something which is not related i.e. Omagh

People get abused for there religious believes everyday, I happen not to have any, surely thats my right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ChipZilla

Crap site.
    REGULAR VISITORS go here for a list of the latest locations added

What kind of morbid ba**ard would be a regular visitor on there? The same kind of person who listens to the death notices on Tipp Mid-West Radio?

What's the point of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Having gone out with a girl from Tipperary for a couple of years, I realised how death obsessed a lot of people down there are. I knew of many people in Tipp who start reading the paper by reading the death notices first, and then ring all their friends, "Mary, did you hear who just died!!" It's gossip at its lowest form, but its a habit for many people. These are the sort of people that would visit that site regularly.

I used to call them "Obituary Junkies!" (great name for a band perhaps?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Down there, funerals are social events. My grandmother lives down there and she's always coming back from funerals talking about how she had a great time.

Advertisement