Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got Digiweb x 2 weeks, now NTL offer 1.5MBit service!!

• 26-07-2004 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

So I am happy with my ADSL 512/128 service, until I got home today and a letter was in my maibox from NTL. It is promoting 300/750/1500 services, 3 months free AND 12 months free NTL TV sub.

This absolutely sucks. I was phoning and emailing them for literally YEARS and finally 2 weeks after I get DSL they FINALLY decide that "certain areas of Tallaght" is not the only place to cable broadband. I am Dublin 4/Mount Merrion area.

Bastards. It's a good offer all in all, but dammit that it's no good to me now. If they had at least piped up about it 2 months ago I would have subbed, as I'm sure many more who want to be rid of Eircom and have broadband with NTL and a mobile.

Dammit dammit dammit.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Well at least its evidence that the roll out is happening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

:eek:

What part of Mount Merrion? I've had IBB for nearly two years, but €85 for 1 meg compared to €50 for 1.5 meg, I'd swap in a heart beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Da Man

You've had ADSL for two weeks and didn't avail of a 3 month free trial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

Does anyone know if NTL are going to hit carpenterstown Dublin 15 anytime soon my apartment is piped with NTL from the start and it is only built within the last two months with NTL digital TV, they mentioned it was only working in my area one way and wont roll it out till they have the signal going both ways, does anyone understand what they mean by this as they could explian it to me? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by Da Man
    You've had ADSL for two weeks and didn't avail of a 3 month free trial?
    He must have gone with eircom, who aren't doing a "free trail" - you get the first 2 and a bit months free with them, but you'd tied to a 12 month contract from day 1.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dub45
    Well at least its evidence that the roll out is happening!
    Yes - if anyone who doesn't live in one of the "traditional" NTL areas get's one of these NTL letters, please let us know, including your location!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Serbian

Sounds good. I'm in the Dublin 4 area also. Is there any way to know what areas are covered other than calling them directly?

If not, I'll give them a call later on and ask what areas they are currently offering cable to.

On another point, how can they list CD Quality Sound as a feature of their cable service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

Got a letter the other day, I live in Blackrock (Dublin).

My IOL contract expired 11 days ago, talk about perfect timing. It only took them 3 years since my initial enquiry to get it over this part of the city. My next task is to find out how long it takes to cancel my IOL subscription and then get signed up to NTL.

Originally posted by Sarn

My IOL contract expired 11 days ago, talk about perfect timing. It only took them 3 years since my initial enquiry to get it over this part of the city. My next task is to find out how long it takes to cancel my IOL subscription and then get signed up to NTL.
    Don't forget, it's not an either/or situation! I'd suggest that you find out how much notice you have to give IOL, and then wait until you have NTL running before cancelling your DSL, just in case!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Originally posted by Ripwave
    He must have gone with eircom, who aren't doing a "free trail" - you get the first 2 and a bit months free with them, but you'd tied to a 12 month contract from day 1.

No dude, I didn't go with Eircom because of 12 month tie, and I didn't want IOL because if after 3 months I wanted it I was tied to IOL for 12 months from the end of teh 3 month trial.

I may not be Ireland anymore in 12 months so I went with Digiweb as the charge 100 euros to get out of a contract, so it was straightforward and I wouldn't have haggling should I need to break it.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Captain Trips
    No dude, I didn't go with Eircom because of 12 month tie, and I didn't want IOL because if after 3 months I wanted it I was tied to IOL for 12 months from the end of teh 3 month trial.
    Huh? It's a free trial - you can cancel before the end of the 3 months, and get your DSL from someone else if you want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭Tony

What they mean is that they can send a signal to you but you cannot send a signal (IE a page url or email) back up the network. AFAIK NTl use a fibre optic link to a local street cabinet and them coax cable into your home.

Hope this explains it

Originally posted by Colly
    and wont roll it out till they have the signal going both ways, does anyone understand what they mean by this as they could explian it to me? Thanks

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Originally posted by Sarn

Whereabouts in Blackrock are you Sarn?? Please please please let it reach Leopardstown :dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Sarn

I'm just beside the Carysfort campus, Stillorgan side. I rang Esat the other day about how much notice has to be given. Apparently you have to notify them in writing that you want to cancel your subscription (assuming your contract is up), it will then take a few days for it to go through. You can mail: customer.care@esatbt.com to cancel.
    Originally posted by Ripwave
    Don't forget, it's not an either/or situation! I'd suggest that you find out how much notice you have to give IOL, and then wait until you have NTL running before cancelling your DSL, just in case!

I agree entirely, an overlap is definitely required, don't want to be without BB for a while. As we all know just because something is supposed to be done by a certain date doesn't mean it will.

I'll have to double check that e-mail address they gave me as the one on their page is customercare@iol.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Myself and Sutty just got Broadband from IBB. 1Meg down and 512 up. I asked the guys installing about their price merger of home and business, so this 1meg connection is costing 48e a month with no cap.

I think there's a price reshuffling with most of the ISPs atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Do you need a phone like to go with NTL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Nope, it uses a coaxial TV point like the one you use if you have NTL Digital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

I was signing for the basic ntl package as it is piped into our apt block and I asked the installation guy how long will it be till there installing in the area he said they are currently training the staff to install it and it will be another 2months before they are in a situation to put this training to use. No offence to the guy but he hardly had all the information and I get the feeling NTL for the next yr will be saying just another two months so they don't lose me. But I will wait as it would kill me to pay line rental and for BB. As I dont have a line as of yet ye see.

Wish they would just roll it out it looks like they are in a position to do so as the website is updated with a new pricing scheme and they also up'd the speed for each type of contract.

Advertisement