Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tribes2

Options
  • 16-05-1999 5:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

A copy of a post in the Quake section of this board regarding Quake3...

It is a very pretty looking game but it's nothing new. It's Quake with better graphics and some Quake2 weapons. Same indoors shooter thingy and it's getting old. There are too many of them. I have to say something like Tribes is a lot more enjoyable. Outdoor fighting, using jetpacks to fly straight up to dodge instead of strifing left or right, "skiiing" (you have to play it to know what this means), armor types, teamplay etc, it just offers so much more. Something new... Frankly, the exagerated smoke trails in Quake3, the flashes and the glare are just too much. They are over-doing it with the eye-candy and that's what's really new in Quake3.

Check out some screenshots of Tribes2 which can be found in all the major Tribes web-site.

tribes2_01.jpg

tribes2_02.jpg

It looks blurred cause it was taken with a camera in E3...I think!

Anyway, it looks good no? smile.gif

You going to finish that?
    *munch*munch*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Jade

Yeah, it looks fantastic. Those levels are unreal. Tribes was a huge hit, and Tribes 2 is going to blow everyone away. I'm just not waiting untill its released here, since tribes was just released here this week !!

Roll on T2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SeP

pretty coloorrss.....

on second though it likes kinda scary! wooo

mmmm....bed time?? arghhh smile.gif

[This message has been edited by SeP (edited 16-05-99).]

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Oooh yea baybee!

smile.gif

I agree about Q3, the game while looking cute is nothing more then Quake. I think all it's proving is that Quake is going the way of the dinosaurs.

T2 looks cute, any specs out yet. Eg what weapons, vechiles, terrains, other features?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Dunno about specs but that weapon in the 2nd sceenshot looks like a plasma gun? The disc launcher looks the same, saw it somewhere. Think it's basically going to be Tribes with better graphics and all the bits they didn't have time to put into Tribes like water, land vehicles, underwater vehicles (read somewhere about submarines smile.gif)

You going to finish that?
    *munch*munch*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

na na na na ye see you have it all wrong. if you want a quick game of something, you play quake, if you have the time (at least an hour) you can play tribes. you can also be sure that half the time you'll end up with a TK'er on your team, which removes all the enjoyment out of it.

quake is a quick blast, tribes is long term commitment smile.gif

both are good.

ButcherOfNog
    Clan Hot Internet Virgins
    clans.quake2.co.uk/hiv

"We can't risk another frontal assault. That rabbit's dynamite."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭clanless_Coyote

I've seen the water effect on the movie file tribes2water.mpg, and its fab smile.gif

Even for a pre-release, not-so-brilliantly-rendered, early-version snapshot..... its a major improvement.

Can't wait for the inevitable T2 strategies to evolve based on new landscape / terrain constraints. Possibly even boats??

Just imagine knocking a couple of heavies off their transport in the middle of a lake, and counting the bubbles on the surface as they sink to the bottom. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Regards,
    [clanless]Coyote
    "Abandon All Hope!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gollum

i saw T2 at E3, and talked to some of the dynamix lads. they're pretty excited about the new game and i have to say that it looks like the mutts nuts. they reckon it'll ship xmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

You were in T3 Gollum? Lucky sod smile.gif Saw a screenshot of someone camping in a tree somewhere last night. Ummm, wonder if there'll be a map of just a treews. A forrest complete with bases in clearings etc. That'd be cool.

You gonna to finish that?
    *munch*munch*

[This message has been edited by Chubby (edited 19-05-99).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gollum

yeah i was at E3 - it was unbelieveable but the sierra/dynamix stuff blew me away
    on t2 i didnt see any forest maps as such but the terrain was a lot more interesting. forget rolling hills and think mountain ranges/cliffs/lakes/better bases and new clans and that gives you an idea of what theyre doing. dunno what else they're going to add but the dynamix lads i was talking to promised a lot of new stuff including weaponary and vehicles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

The things that stunned everyone at E3 were the things nobody expected to be stunned by... Tribes 2 and Lithtech 2 were the two single most impressive technologies on show, making Q3A et al look like very old news indeed.

Bye bye iD....

Mata ne!
    Rob

• Advertisement
Advertisement