Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU for 9800xt

Options
  • 26-07-2004 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭

I have a ASUS 9800xt and am having some problems with it blacking out. I fear it may be my crappy 250w psu. I have two questions
    Is 250w enought to run a 9800xt?
    Am I damaging the card when it blacks out like that?
    THX

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

im under the impression the 9800xt requires a 350w or greater PSU but i may be wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

250w aint enough, 350w+... It all depends on ur setup

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Most likely not no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Have been playing Far Cry on Very high for the last couple of hours with no problems. But I think 250 may be on the low side alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

I'm using a Tagan 380Watt PSU and its happily powering the following:

AMD 64
    512 RAM
    2 Optical Drives
    1 Hard Drive
    5 Fans
    Coolermaster Aerogate II
    Creative Audigy
    and a 9800XT 256.....

..... Highly recommended! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Axel
    I'm thinking of buying one do you find it quiet? Are the wires well tied up? Are the rails stable? The system it will be powering will be much like yours so I'm very interested in what you think of it:)

I'm thinking of buying one do you find it quiet? Are the wires well tied up? Are the rails stable? The system it will be powering will be much like yours so I'm very interested in what you think of it:)

Well if you have a 250w psu like mine forget about about it. I need to upgrade my PSU to something like the poster above 380W.

Axel wrote:
    I'm using a Tagan 380Watt PSU and its happily powering the following:

Could I use this in an Dell 8300 - are Dells modable?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Buy a decent PSU, its worth it. Cheap one give you unstable voltages. Something like an Antec is good.

Dell sometime us PSUs that are smaller than the standard size. You should measure it to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Zakalwe

A Dell? Drat. Dell use non standard connectors most of the time to interface with the motherboard.

Make sure yours are standard before getting a new PSU

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yeah its very quiet. The fans hardly spin at all and it does add a bit of heat to the case. I'd probably go for the 480W model if you're getting a new one though (just to be safe:) )

Currently the rails are the following;

+12 : 11.84
    +5 : 4.999
    +3.3 : 3.312
    Vcore at 1.502

+12 is a bit low but all of them are stable at that! Plus a 36 month guarantee :cool:

Btw there is a pic in the case mod gallary if you want to see the wire's. there's alot of 'em!

Axel wrote:
    Currently the rails are the following;

+12 : 11.84

+12 is a bit low but all of them are stable at that!

The 12 rail is well within ATX specifications. If it dips below 11.4 then there's cause for alarm.

Is it possible to upgrade your PSU in the Dell 8300?

You might be able to buy a better one from Dell themselves. I'm sure you can hack the pinout if you're handy with a multimeter.

Advertisement