Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 KierKenn

would appreciate advice. I understand that I have to pay VAT on a UK import if it is under 6000miles on the clock or if it is less than 6 months from the date of first registration. I am looking at cars that are in the region of 4 months old. How strick are the revenue on this? I need to buy fairly soon, so dont have the option of asking the UK garage to hold on to the car for me. any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

KierKenn wrote: »
    would appreciate advice. I understand that I have to pay VAT on a UK import if it is under 6000miles on the clock or if it is less than 6 months from the date of first registration. I am looking at cars that are in the region of 4 months old. How strick are the revenue on this? I need to buy fairly soon, so dont have the option of asking the UK garage to hold on to the car for me. any advice?
    Check those figures again. I think it's 6000km or 6 months.

AFAIK, you can have the UK VAT refunded if you have to pay VAT here.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 38 KierKenn

The car dealer who is importing a car for me from the UK tells me that he will sort out the VAT and VRT. How can I be certain that he does so? I am particularly concerned about the VAT? The car is less than 6 months old, but has more than 6000km on the clock. I don't want to find out in 6 months time that there is still VAT payable on it.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

VAT is due if the car is either less than 6 months old OR less that 6000 km. if the car is less that 6 months old. Vat is due, no matter the mileage. The only way to 'sort it out' is to pay it, vat is due when he comes to vrt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The dealer should have asked you for your PPSI number and a utility bill as proof of address. When you go to pay and collect the car the dealer should be giving you official documents which should include VRT and VAT payable documents from Revenue. I think the VAT form is pink in colour. The motor tax office will not issue a registration number for the car unless the VRT and VAT have been paid. This was how it was done when I bought a brand new car back in 2003 but the process could have changed slightly since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭Esel

copacetic wrote: »
    VAT is due if the car is either less than 6 months old OR less that 6000 miles. if the car is less that 6 months old. Vat is due, no matter the mileage. The only way to 'sort it out' is to pay it, vat is due when he comes to vrt it.
    6000km, not miles.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I have been looking at a few Mondeos in the Uk with a view to going over to get one. I need to get a car.

I'm confused by the CO2 ratings of the various engines.

2010 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium [163] 5dr with 139 g/km

2010 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium [140] with 139 g/km

BUT 2010 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium [140] with 154g/km

why the discrepancy? Who is telling fibs? or is it the tuning of the engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭olewy

olewy wrote: »
    That was my thinking also. Even if it is a genuine data entry mistake there's no way to amend it now so any savings I make in buying it will be lost when I go to sell it on in future. Shame. The dealer really should have ran their own check before buying it off the previous seller.

This helps to explain why the car hasn't sold yet (if it's too good to be true, it probably is). I'm walking away from this one. HPI are currently looking into the discrepency but all they can do is the same checks as I can (i.e. phone the dealers that are on record & cross reference details).

Update. The HPI NMR investigation showed a data entry mistake was made so the car's NMR records have now been updated to show a clear mileage history. Unfortunately for data privacy reasons HPI/NMR can't give me the contact details for the garage that carried out the 2 services in Jan & Feb 2011 so I can't confirm exactly what work was carried out on those dates as its not documented in the car's log book.

But, they were able to confirm that the services were carried out by the same garage & that that garage are a large organisation that frequently make data entry mistakes. It could have been a QuickFit-type establishment or something, who knows. So even though the car has a partial service history I'm now re-interested in this car & will get a comprehensive AA inspection done on it.

Anybody here still think I should walk away from a car that is missing 2 service stamps/details?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

if its a large chain it could have been tyre changes or bulbs or wipers ive a full full history for a v50 I brought back has everything in it

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I have been looking at a few Mondeos in the Uk with a view to going over to get one. I need to get a car.

I'm confused by the CO2 ratings of the various engines.

2010 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium [163] 5dr with 139 g/km

2010 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium [140] with 139 g/km

BUT 2010 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi Titanium [140] with 154g/km

why the discrepancy? Who is telling fibs? or is it the tuning of the engine?

The Mondeo got revised engines with lower emissions in 2010. The 154g one is obviously one of the older models.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Mondeo got revised engines with lower emissions in 2010. The 154g one is obviously one of the older models.

ok.
    it was strange seeing 163bhp engines with lower CO2 ratings than the 140bhp engines.
    thanks

another quick question..... I know I spotted it earlier on this thread, but I can't remember the page or find it.

What bargaining points would you have with a uk dealer to lower the price?

dealer warranty (I won't need it)
    valet
    others?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭clogher71

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    another quick question..... I know I spotted it earlier on this thread, but I can't remember the page or find it.

What bargaining points would you have with a uk dealer to lower the price?

dealer warranty (I won't need it)
    valet
    others?

My experience is you won't get anything much in the line of bargaining , most will be valeted, you might get a couple of hundred off the asking price, once I bought a car and the guy would not stir £1, he knew what he had to sell, and I was one of the to answer the ad shortly after it went up

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Have to concur.
    If you're buying privately you may get a few quid off- but you don't have the security of dealing with a dealership/main garage- and if anything does go wrong, you have no come-back.
    Most cars are valeted long before you get there- and rightly so- its not something you can use as a bargaining tool.

Demand is high- you have competing buyers- it wasn't this way just a short while ago.........

I might be in a bit of a bind & between myself & the dealer we both might have made a bit of a blooper. Looking for advice.

I'm about to pick up a car in the UK from a dealer tomorrow. Deal done, deposit paid, inspection done, car serviced, MOT'd. But...I told the dealer from the start (before any deal was agreed) that I would need the full V5 document in order to register the car in Ireland & emphasised this to the point of having them send me a scanned copy of the V5C (both sides, sections 1 to 8 inclusive). No problem they said. The car at the time was registered by DVLA as having UK road tax until Sept but had no tax certificate on display. The dealer wouldn't let the car go without having UK road tax (nor would I take the risk of driving it without UK road tax). So we agreed it needed to be taxed. I asked the dealer if they could tax the car for 6 months for me under the garage's name; no not possible (they said it would need to be taxed in my name). So I agreed to pay for 6 months UK road tax on the basis that I would just post the cert back to DVLA for a pro-rata refund.

All fine until I re-check with them before I pick up the car tomorrow (!) that the full V5 etc will be ready with the car; no, when they taxed the car they had to give the 1st page of the V5 with the UK post office. All the dealer has left is section 10, 11 and 12 of the V5. I'll probably have to wait for the DVLA to process the tax & post me the new V5 that have my details on it. Has anyone been through this before? No VRT booking made yet. Does this put a complete spanner in the works or just an inconvenience that will mean I have to wait for the DVLA to post me the new/latest V5 to my Irish address and THEN book a VRT inspection? I'm aware of the time limits for VRT'ing a UK car. Any help/tips appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

olewy wrote: »
    I might be in a bit of a bind & between myself & the dealer we both might have made a bit of a blooper. Looking for advice.

I'm about to pick up a car in the UK from a dealer tomorrow. Deal done, deposit paid, inspection done, car serviced, MOT'd. But...I told the dealer from the start (before any deal was agreed) that I would need the full V5 document in order to register the car in Ireland & emphasised this to the point of having them send me a scanned copy of the V5C (both sides, sections 1 to 8 inclusive). No problem they said. The car at the time was registered by DVLA as having UK road tax until Sept but had no tax certificate on display. The dealer wouldn't let the car go without having UK road tax (nor would I take the risk of driving it without UK road tax). So we agreed it needed to be taxed. I asked the dealer if they could tax the car for 6 months for me under the garage's name; no not possible (they said it would need to be taxed in my name). So I agreed to pay for 6 months UK road tax on the basis that I would just post the cert back to DVLA for a pro-rata refund.

All fine until I re-check with them before I pick up the car tomorrow (!) that the full V5 etc will be ready with the car; no, when they taxed the car they had to give the 1st page of the V5 with the UK post office. All the dealer has left is section 10, 11 and 12 of the V5. I'll probably have to wait for the DVLA to process the tax & post me the new V5 that have my details on it. Has anyone been through this before? No VRT booking made yet. Does this put a complete spanner in the works or just an inconvenience that will mean I have to wait for the DVLA to post me the new/latest V5 to my Irish address and THEN book a VRT inspection? I'm aware of the time limits for VRT'ing a UK car. Any help/tips appreciated.

The Post Office don't retain any part of the V5 when you tax the car; usually it would be taxed using the reminder but even that is not retained. They are telling you rubbish and you should warn them that you will rescind the purchase unless they have the full document and pass it across to you. Assuming that they have acquired it, the only section missing should be the notification that the car has been sold into the trade. The V5C should not be in the name if the garage but in the name if the previous owner (unless pre reg or demo model).

Marcusm wrote: »
    The Post Office don't retain any part of the V5 when you tax the car; usually it would be taxed using the reminder but even that is not retained. They are telling you rubbish and you should warn them that you will rescind the purchase unless they have the full document and pass it across to you. Assuming that they have acquired it, the only section missing should be the notification that the car has been sold into the trade. The V5C should not be in the name if the garage but in the name if the previous owner (unless pre reg or demo model).

Thanks. But they're saying the UK post office DID take all parts of the V5 (bar sections 10, 11 & 12) & that this was done for legal requirements. I've told them if I can't register the car in Ireland I obviously can't buy it from them. I phoned NCTS (VRT booking line) & they said I would need to wait for the DVLA to post me a certificate of permanent export! But that could take 4 to 5 weeks. They said to phone DVLA & ask them to expedite processing whatever it is they need to do & failing that to phone my local Revenue office & ask to speak to a manager (otherwise Revenue will refer me back to the VRT booking line!). Arggg...this was NOT what I needed. Someone has messed up here. I'm willing to take the blame if it was me but I don't think it is. When I bought my last car from a UK Audi dealer I had no problems in taxing the car or with the V5 & the UK road tax was in my name IIRC.

Is there somewhere I can confirm the procedure/document requirements that UK post offices follow in taxing cars?

Just spoke with the DVLA & they confirmed the following;
    1. The UK post office does NOT need to keep the V5 document & that the car can be taxed with just section 10 of the V5.
    2. The UK post office ONLY needs to retain any other part of the V5 if ONLY if section 6 (New keeper or new name address details) has previously been filled out by the dealer. Obviously this is what has been done. If section 6 has already been filled out the UK post office are legally required to return the whole V5 (bar sections 10, 11 & 12) to the DVLA
    3. When the DVLA receive the V5 from the UK post office they will see that section 6 (New keeper or new name address details) has a non-GB address on it & will post directly to me exactly what they receive from the post office (i.e. the remainder of the V5). This will then allow me to register the car. But, it will be 2 weeks from now until DVLA can confirm if they have the UK post office's letter on their records. It obviously could be longer by the time it's processed, posted & arrives to me.
    4. An alternative as a backup in tandem with waiting for the V5 to arrive to me in the post from the DVLA is to fill out a V756 (Application for a ‘Certificate of Permanent Export’ (V561) when you do not have
    a Registration Certificate (V5C). This can be posted or faxed by me to DVLA. But, it takes 2 to 4 weeks to process & be posted to me by DVLA.

Basically I could be screwed either way VRT inspection cut-off time wise, whether I apply for V756 or not.

Someone here must have been through this before. Is there any way to push out the date of the VRT inspection until I receive the documents? No VRT inspection booked yet. Phoning Revenue office to see if there's some extension I can get, somehow (long shot).

Re https://ncts.ie/vq1.html and specifically this; Please be advised that if you do not complete your registration process within the 30 day period then an additional assessment of VRT maybe raised for the period the vehicle remained unregistered in the State. In this regard, you are advised to retain possession of the documentation relating to the shipping or storage of the vehicle where the date of the invoice is more than 30 days earlier than the date of registration. It should be noted that an unregistered vehicle may be detained or seized by Revenue Officials or by An Garda Siochana.

I need to confirm how much on average I would have to pay
    for the period the vehicle remained unregistered in the State beyond the 30 days. Does anyone know how this additional assessment/cost is calculated or if it incurs a standard starting price/fine? I'm waiting for Revenue (VRT person in local Revenue office) to phone me back.

Rescheduled my flight & ferry bookings & picking the car up in a month's time.

A lesson to all of future buyers here dealing with UK sellers; ensure your UK seller understands in advance the correct process for taxing the car for UK road tax. Otherwise you'll potentially have the same headaches, costs & stress I've had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Unless the car is very special, I wouldn't involve myself with messers like this. If there was valid car tax, I suspect they lost the disc. A garage has not been able to obtain a partial refund for quite a while. They will not have been the registered owner which seems to be why they involved themselves in a convoluted process to re register the car in your name - the only reason to surrender these sections - which cannot be valid as you live overseas.

They are in material breach of your agreement and you should, unless the car is very unusual, rescind it.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Unless the car is very special, I wouldn't involve myself with messers like this. If there was valid car tax, I suspect they lost the disc. A garage has not been able to obtain a partial refund for quite a while. They will not have been the registered owner which seems to be why they involved themselves in a convoluted process to re register the car in your name - the only reason to surrender these sections - which cannot be valid as you live overseas.

They are in material breach of your agreement and you should, unless the car is very unusual, rescind it.

Thanks Marcusm. I have a soft copy of the full V5C which they emailed me before the tax was done so I know what was on it. It didn't have the dealer listed as the current owner. The car was still taxed on DVLA's system to the previous owner until Sept. It's possible they're messing me around, but maybe not. No apology, nothing.

It's fine. Transfermate couldn't hang onto my Sterling funds beyond tomorrow (I had already transferred them the Euro amount last week) so I'm opening an Instant Access GBP account with PTSB tomorrow morning & will get Transfermate to tx the GBP to that account once it's opened (I've been told I'll get the account # straight away). If that doesn't work I'll have to convert the GBP back to Eur & pay the €250-odd selling cost to Transfermate. That or transfer the full GBP amount to the seller 1 month in advance. We'll see. Not worrying about it.

Btw, for those interested, Revenue confirmed that the cost for keeping a car in the State beyond 30 days from the date of entry is .1% of the VRT amount multiplied by each day that the car has been in the State. So depending on the VRT amount that may be worth paying for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

I'm looking into appealing my VRT paid, I've seen this list of steps from another boardsie (car-dealer, who is currently banned) Is this still a reasonable procedure to follow? Also how many cars would you use for an average OMSP? I'm thinking along the lines of 4-5.
    Simple Procedure for Appeal:

1. see carzone and autotrader and other sites for prices of same car, same make and model, same year, similar mileage.

2. work out the lower end prices

3. print off list of these

4. work out the rough average price for your car in Ireland: does it come in below the OMSP?

5. Very important: remember to write that "these market prices are Aksing Prices, and are not end of sale agreed prices, which tend to be 10% lower" i.e. car is advertised at €10,000 and punter will go in and say I have €9000 will you take that, dealer says yes.

6. put your case together in a letter, with evidence of the above, and state very clearly that the VRT system has overestimated your OMSP and thus your VRT payable.

7. Yes do this: claim €100 for lost interest on your money and time used to execute your appeal due to the incorrect VRT rate.

Be very clear and be very direct!

lastly, Ive set up my company and import cars direct from the UK for customers and offer similar prices to cargiant, but I look after everything, from buying to transport to vrt -- I could have saved you all this hassle.

Will have new website and details up and running shortly - although the mods on this site dont allow advertising, so just saying before you drop your biscuit in your tea!

Lastly: stats are about 80% of those that appeal win! also, everyone should appeal, the system is over charging, but this is also one of the most paraxdoxical things Ive ever said as the whole system is one big fraud!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Would it be imperitive to have the car inspected, I'm buying from a toyota dealership, Vantage to be precise?

Well what happens if you arrive over there and the car is not as described or the seller needs to fix something that is not apparent from a visual inspection on the day? Spending circa £199 on a comprehensive inspection is money well spent imo if you are spending thousands on the car itself. As far as I am concerned the price of a proper inspection is part and parcel of the cost associated with importing just like flight and ferry tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tobehonestwithy

Can someone confirm if this is above board or not.

I am looking to buy a brand new car in the UK around Feb of next year.

Now, I have a sister living in the UK for the last 15 years who doesnt drive. Could I buy the car under her name and park the car up in her garage for 6 months. After 6 months, get her to register the car in Ireland after 6 months then change the ownership details to my name. i.e. avoid having to pay the full VRT or any at all?

It was my father-in-law who suggested this. He said he did this in 2010 with a brand new Mercedes. He bought it under his brother-in-laws name (who lived in Manchester) and just parked it up for 6 months and got everything re registered thereafter.

Just sounds very dubious to me but would save close to 6k in VRT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

She would have to move her residence to Ireland to achieve this.

She has a residence in Ireland and the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Its a good idea if it works. Once the car is kept garaged for 6 months, and then registered here you will be exempted from the vat, for sure.
    But isnt the vrt is still payable if you want to get Irish plates?
    I mean for your sister to register in her name, she will need to produce her pps no. details, so don't know on what grounds she get vrt exempted.

• Advertisement

I think you might have to pay something but definitely not the 6K or so. Again, i am not sure. Might speak with the Father in law this weekend and see what exactly he went through

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement