Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The car has to have a min of 6000 km on the clock and be older than 6 months to avoid VAT here.

She has a residence in Ireland and the UK

Not residence as in owns property here. Residency means she pays tax here and lives here for xxx number of days per year in the country. Don't think you can be resident in more than one country at a time or at least you would hardly benefit from it as it means your liable for tax in more than one State.

Revenue go through VRT with a fine tooth comb and have all their bases covered when it comes to the VRT Exemption. I'd say your father-in-law has his information wrong or is talking porkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭tobehonestwithy

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not residence as in owns property here. Residency means she pays tax here and lives here for xxx number of days per year in the country. Don't think you can be resident in more than one country at a time or at least you would hardly benefit from it as it means your liable for tax in more than one State.

Revenue go through VRT with a fine tooth comb and have all their bases covered when it comes to the VRT Exemption. I'd say your father-in-law has his information wrong or is talking porkies.

thanks Bazz... and everyone else.

yeah, I must try and get more details off him. It just didnt sound too legal to me. That said, his brother-in-law was retired so maybe somehow got around it that way.

we'll see

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Alan666

Im looking for names of companies that I can look for a second hand car from the UK from. Im guessing its probably not acceptable to post names of companies on Boards, so if that is the case perhaps someone can email PM me? Just dont know where to begin looking. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,314 ✭✭✭✭Esel

No problem posting company names in this thread afaik. CarGiant is one, I think.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Tecking Fypo

Alan666 wrote: »
    Im looking for names of companies that I can look for a second hand car from the UK from. Im guessing its probably not acceptable to post names of companies on Boards, so if that is the case perhaps someone can email PM me? Just dont know where to begin looking. Thanks

Am thinking of doing this myself soon. Found this guy in UK, Fairtrade cars, that buys on behalf of dealerships at auctions and also provides the service to retail customers. Part of the service includes delivery of the car to Ireland. I have been in contact with this guy who tells me he has a number of buyers working for him and will only buy cars that they check out themselves that are of a high quality. He has emailed me a general price guide of the car that im after which when converted to euro and vrt paid still reflects a substantial saving.

Im thinking of taking a chance on this guy as it would save a huge amount of hasle of going over and taking a chance on some car at an auction that ive never been to. I would be paying the auction house directly and a fixed fee to this middleman.

Anyone have any experience of doing something like this?
    Cheers

Esel wrote: »
    No problem posting company names in this thread afaik. CarGiant is one, I think.
    I did post the above.
    Am thinking of doing this myself soon. Found this guy in UK, 'snip' cars, that buys on behalf of dealerships at auctions and also provides the service to retail customers. Part of the service includes delivery of the car to Ireland. I have been in contact with this guy who tells me he has a number of buyers working for him and will only buy cars that they check out themselves that are of a high quality. He has emailed me a general price guide of the car that im after which when converted to euro and vrt paid still reflects a substantial saving.

Im thinking of taking a chance on this guy as it would save a huge amount of hasle of going over and taking a chance on some car at an auction that ive never been to. I would be paying the auction house directly and a fixed fee to this middleman.

Cheers
    Apart from when it is your first post, maybe...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cob2

Hello all. It seems that neither the AA nor the RAC do vehicle inspections in NI. Does anyone know of any company that does?

No idea how good/bad this crowd are but they poped up previously on boards and google.

http://www.nicaraudit.co.uk/

• Registered Users Posts: 2 cob2

Have been put in touch with a local mechanic through a friend so that'll do!

• Advertisement

cob2 wrote: »

Have been put in touch with a local mechanic through a friend so that'll do!

Yep, a personal recommendation will always be top trumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Am thinking of doing this myself soon. Found this guy in UK, Fairtrade cars, that buys on behalf of dealerships at auctions and also provides the service to retail customers. Part of the service includes delivery of the car to Ireland. I have been in contact with this guy who tells me he has a number of buyers working for him and will only buy cars that they check out themselves that are of a high quality. He has emailed me a general price guide of the car that im after which when converted to euro and vrt paid still reflects a substantial saving.

Cheers

That's interesting, I emailed for the craic and I was refused a quote before committing to going ahead with a purchase.

Edit.
    Yea, I won't be recommending this Fairtrade cars place, he asked why I wanted a late reg 11 320d to which I mentioned the N47 timing chain issue.
    He responded saying I must be winding him up and saying I needed help.

AVOID.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭jucko

Cheers

Beleive it or not..... I just bought a car off Matt two weeks ago, and I'm bursting to tell someone how well it went so if anyone wants to pm me I'll send my number and you can call me. Quite busy at mo, as just back from Kerry in new car, but I will give a heads up .

Just read the post above mine there, he's a cockney chappie is our Matt, but honestly if you can roll with that he's the straightest guy I've ever dealt with. I sent him 9500 sterling to buy a Passat, as my bank operates very slowly and auctions have to be paid straight away. He spent 7200 stg on an 11 1.6 TDI s with sat nav, FSH, a/c few other bits, oh 78k miles, it does need tyres .. but took his commission and sent me the rest back!
    Even stuck it on a lorry and shipped it to me for 320 stg.
    The car is class, he told me there were a few dents on it, so i rang the local dent man, and arranged him to visit when car arrived. I cancelled him when I saw car.
    I'd say its my best experience of buying a car yet.
    The novelty of not knowing exactly what was gonna show up seems like fun now but was a bit nervewracking.
    Anyway give Matt a call. Decide what you want, what your budget is and Matt will look after you. He is a pro buyer so... rather than a car salesman who may just butter you up ,Matt is a bit more straight talking. If you can deal with that ... you will get a great deal.

Fair play to you for being prepared to take a risk like that!

I wouldn't, and I think most people wouldn't either.

Not your ornery onager

Fair play to you for being prepared to take a risk like that!

I wouldn't, and I think most people wouldn't either.

I didn't look the wife in the eye for a day or so until I knew my car was bought.
    It was a leap of faith, and one that paid off, thank God!
    The only other bidder was an online one from Ireland, so the car was coming over regardless..
    Honestly, it was so rewarding, for once, to actually have someone keep their word to the letter, and be pleasantly surprised ..
    You can save money, folks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Fair play, I think there could be a huge market for a service like this, I was trying to source a car from the UK recently with my son but it was a logistical nightmare to arrange. I knew how much the car we wanted could be bought for but trying to arrange to see one when they popped up for sale was difficult. I'd loved to have had the option to use a third party or a 'broker' like this where I could give him X amount of money to buy me the car I wanted as soon as the right one became available for sale...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Watch it here lads...the shills are out.

Dont believe these one post and low post wonders.....

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Watch it here lads...the shills are out.

Dont believe these one post and low post wonders.....
    More than a bit harsh, imo. Member since 2009....

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Bit harsh indeed, someone more cynical than myself might think midlandsM had his own alternative agenda, for all we know he could even be in the domestic motor trade himself....?

I'm just saying I think there would be a lot of people who would use such a service, not recommending this particular one either ways. Everyone knows there can be huge savings on certain cars in the UK but the hassle of trying to get to look at them and the expense involved can outweigh the savings. While it may seem like a leap of faith, a properly contracted arrangement with a locally placed and trusted third party could be the way to go. I would certainly consider it...

• Advertisement

Bit harsh indeed, someone more cynical than myself might think midlandsM had his own alternative agenda, for all we know he could even be in the domestic motor trade himself....?

I'm just saying I think there would be a lot of people who would use such a service, not recommending this particular one either ways. Everyone knows there can be huge savings on certain cars in the UK but the hassle of trying to get to look at them and the expense involved can outweigh the savings. While it may seem like a leap of faith, a properly contracted arrangement with a locally placed and trusted third party could be the way to go. I would certainly consider it...

Billy, all of this is old news. Im a car dealer and importer and transporter....and i'm not exclusive in my area either...nor am i afraid of any competition. Iv offered this service of sourcing cars for donkeys years. And unlike others, im irish based, meet my clients in person here, offer a bespoke one to one service, and also go to the uk weekly to sourcing, vet and purchase cars for me, the trade and private clients. However, i dont use boards like some do to shill my services, be sourcing, sales or repairs...because i dont need to. I do grand without having to.

In fairness though, the service under discussion was introduced in post 3698 by a brand-new, one post user, and I sort of shill-called it...

Edited my post above a bit - felt it too was a bit harsh.

Not your ornery onager

Billy, all of this is old news. Im a car dealer and importer and transporter....and i'm not exclusive in my area either...nor am i afraid of any competition. Iv offered this service of sourcing cars for donkeys years. And unlike others, im irish based, meet my clients in person here, offer a bespoke one to one service, and also go to the uk weekly to sourcing, vet and purchase cars for me, the trade and private clients. However, i dont use boards like some do to shill my services, be sourcing, sales or repairs...because i dont need to. I do grand without having to.

I contacted an Irish based service ukcarimports first and found him to be quite obnoxious to be honest. He actually hung up when he realised I had researched the market and told me that I should go somewhere else.
    Probably like the lad above he's too busy.
    Anyway lads, make your own minds up.
    Pm me if you need any help, as the above poster says he doesn't need boards to offer his services, just knock someone else's ...
    I may not get back to you pronto but will try.
    Follow Matt @fairtradecars
    Irish gombeens? Nah never again.

jucko wrote: »
    I contacted an Irish based service ukcarimports first and found him to be quite obnoxious to be honest. He actually hung up when he realised I had researched the market and told me that I should go somewhere else.
    Probably like the lad above he's too busy.
    Anyway lads, make your own minds up.
    Pm me if you need any help, as the above poster says he doesn't need boards to offer his services, just knock someone else's ...
    I may not get back to you pronto but will try.
    Follow Matt @fairtradecars
    Irish gombeens? Nah never again.

Who are you calling an irish gombeen?

And as i said, i meet people here personally in ireland who want a car from the uk. They can also come to my premises. A uk operator cannot offer this....or no where near that. And i never too busy for seious buyers...as my former clients will assure anyone.
    The pimping and shilling here is distastefull, and if you were are real business here you would take out some proper advertising here on boards, and not do it in the backarse roundabout fooling no one way.

"i never too busy for seious buyers"....sic
    dude, its great to see Irish professionalism in action :).
    Why does a man who wants to buy a car in the UK want to meet a man in Ireland who is going to travel to one UK auction to buy them a car. You dont get it.You want the biggest range of cars, from all auctions by a guy who is at them every day. That is what Matt offers. He does it for a fixed fee. End of story.
    I run my own very successful business,not cars or anything like it, and I am DELIGHTED to recommend, for no reason other to assist my fellow man, the services of Fair trade cars, because they offer a great service. I don't care whether or not you use it, it isnt for everyone.
    Thank you Boards.

jucko wrote: »
    "i never too busy for seious buyers"....sic
    dude, its great to see Irish professionalism in action :).
    Why does a man who wants to buy a car in the UK want to meet a man in Ireland who is going to travel to one UK auction to buy them a car. You dont get it.You want the biggest range of cars, from all auctions by a guy who is at them every day. That is what Matt offers. He does it for a fixed fee. End of story.
    I run my own very successful business,not cars or anything like it, and I am DELIGHTED to recommend, for no reason other to assist my fellow man, the services of Fair trade cars, because they offer a great service. I don't care whether or not you use it, it isnt for everyone.
    Thank you Boards.

lol...sure. I dont get it. Thanks magic matt.

lol...sure. I dont get it. Thanks magic matt.
    Now I'm thinking that there is some sort of subtext going on here.

Time to let it go, lads, or else go to PM.

Not your ornery onager

Now I'm thinking that there is some sort of subtext going on here.

Time to let it go, lads, or else go to PM.

A subtext on magic matts part alright..and how they are being allowed to shill here (or have someone shill for them)uncontested by mods is a disgrace.

But to be honest, not many will entrust a foreign buyer whocyou never even meet in person, to spend thousand of someones money blindly on untested\unproven cars at auction. This magic matt at fairtrade doesnt even have a proper address on his business website...just an email and mobile no. Now theres confidence for you. The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.

And when the you know what hits the fan, and it will, someone who loses their money in my opinion deserves to ....because you cant cure stupidity, or tell or advise dumb people different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

PaulKK wrote: »
    That's interesting, I emailed for the craic and I was refused a quote before committing to going ahead with a purchase.

Edit.
    Yea, I won't be recommending this Fairtrade cars place, he asked why I wanted a late reg 11 320d to which I mentioned the N47 timing chain issue.
    He responded saying I must be winding him up and saying I needed help.

AVOID.

:eek: Not sure how hed think mentioning the N47 timing chain issue would mean you were winding him up.

Youd think if he knew his BMWs - that hed be well aware of this issue - and be thus understanding that a customer may wish to avoid cars that potentially have the issue.

Weird :eek:

• Advertisement

A subtext on magic matts part alright..and how they are being allowed to shill here (or have someone shill for them)uncontested by mods is a disgrace.

But to be honest, not many will entrust a foreign buyer whocyou never even meet in person, to spend thousand of someones money blindly on untested\unproven cars at auction. This magic matt at fairtrade doesnt even have a proper address on his business website...just an email and mobile no. Now theres confidence for you. The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.

And when the you know what hits the fan, and it will, someone who loses their money in my opinion deserves to ....because you cant cure stupidity, or tell or advise dumb people different.
    I honestly cannot understand how you can reasonably think that a user who registered in 2009 (admittedly still with a low post count) has suddenly decided to become a shill for this service.

Not your ornery onager

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement