Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Road-Hog wrote: »
    I'm in process of importing car but don't really have the time to do the fly over and drive back this time, I used a co called NVD in past but they no longer offer their services to private individuals only trade. Can anyone recommend any alternatives to NVD or should I just book the flight to Birmingham (Car in Coventry), and ferry back to Dublin/Rosslaire.........flight to Birmingham with Ryan air for next Tuesday would be €53 (6am departure), ferry from Holly head to Dublin (8pm sailing) about €120, cost of Birmingham to Holyhead = €50, misc cost such as food, trip to Dublin another €50 so in total looking at roughly €273, and this is assuming I will be able to get my insurance transferred and then is there a risk of driving the 160 odd miles from Birmingham to Holyhead that if I were pulled over by the UK cops I'd be in trouble for not having a valid tax or insurance disc displayed?? I think NVD were something like €300 plus VAT last time I used them................can anyone advise me of any other car transporters and their rough costs?

Out of curiosity who are you buying off in Coventry? Bought a car of a dealer there recently and had a really bad experience with them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

b.gud wrote: »
    Out of curiosity who are you buying off in Coventry? Bought a car of a dealer there recently and had a really bad experience with them

Its a co called Lex-Autolease...........all going well to date, will reserve overall judgement until I pick it up, will follow up next week if you are interested

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Its a co called Lex-Autolease...........all going well to date, will reserve overall judgement until I pick it up, will follow up next week if you are interested

Lloyds Bank subsid - the biggest lessor and fleet operator in the UK.

That's not where I got mine, so hopefully you should be good.

Out of curiosity are we allowed to name and shame?

Marcusm wrote: »
    Lloyds Bank subsid - the biggest lessor and fleet operator in the UK.

Any experience of them yourself............?

• Advertisement

That's not where I got mine, so hopefully you should be good.

Out of curiosity are we allowed to name and shame?

So long as its not 'negative'..........very hard though to name and shame without being 'negative'...........proclaim and praise is fine.......! One for the mods of the site/forum I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Question.

If one were to import a 2008 car from the uk.... which tax brand does it go into ?

Engine size or emissions ?

Question.

If one were to import a 2008 car from the uk.... which tax brand does it go into ?

Engine size or emissions ?

If the car is registered in the UK between 1st of Jan and last day of June, tax will be set at which ever is the lowest. If it was originally registered on or after 1st of July then it will be emission based.

Source: http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

If the car is registered in the UK between 1st of Jan and last day of June, tax will be set at which ever is the lowest. If it was originally registered on or after 1st of July then it will be emission based.

Source: http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/MotorTax/

Brilliant. I was hoping it would still pick the cheaper..

Its easy to find an early 08 thankfully :)

Brilliant. I was hoping it would still pick the cheaper..

Its easy to find an early 08 thankfully :)

I was looking at it because the car I recently brought in was early 2008 and I was, pleasantly, surprised as I assumed they'd try to stiff you with the more expensive one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭homer1982

Has anyone here know anything for about Summer Combe Plant and Machinery in Wokingham outside London? They have some cheaper cars that look high spec and they look too good to be true.

Any help would be great as we have to purchase pretty soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,314 ✭✭✭✭Esel

homer1982 wrote: »
    Has anyone here know anything for about Summer Combe Plant and Machinery in Wokingham outside London? They have some cheaper cars that look high spec and they look too good to be true.

No experience, but I would be more than hesitant to buy a car from a 'Plant and Machinery' company anywhere (but especially over the water/border). If I was in the market for a bulldozer or a digger, then maybe, just maybe - after I had done all due diligence!
    Summer Combe Plant and Machinery in Wokingham outside London... have some cheaper cars that look high spec and they look too good to be true.
    You know what they say about 'too good to be true'.

You may have to buy 'pretty soon' but do not rush in to this purchase.

Have a look in the Bangernomics thread if you need something to tide you over in the meantime.

tl/dr Do not buy a car from a Plant & Machinery company, especially if the cars look 'too good to be true' - unless you can rock back up there in a Chieftain tank for your refund...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2 martinst

I was looking at it because the car I recently brought in was early 2008 and I was, pleasantly, surprised as I assumed they'd try to stiff you with the more expensive one.

Hi mate,

Did you done some research about this company ? did you rang them or something ?

They do have a very low prices - too good to be true however:

His EBAY account showing all positives however few his clients has deleted accounts:
    feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=summercombeno87ltd&ftab=AllFeedback
    The box below contains the User IDs that this member has used on eBay.
    User ID Effective Date End Date
    summercombeno87ltd 10-Sep-14 Present
    validuscommercialsltd 28-Oct-11 10-Sep-14

His Facebook:
    facebook.com/ValidusCommercialsLtd/timeline

His Instagram account with his face and girlfriend :D please add some more photos of him over here - I can't I'm new user...:
    instagram.com/beninglis85#
    I'm unable to check this one due to no instagram account.

His NEW website is a bit doggy - I think:
    Domain name:
    summercombeplantandmachinery co uk

Registrant:
    Summer Combeno87 ltd

Registrant type:
    Unknown

Registrant's address:
    Fifield House Farm, Oakley Green
    Windsor
    Berkshire
    SL4 4QF
    United Kingdom

Data validation:
    Registrant contact details validated by Nominet on 21-Jul-2014

Relevant dates:
    Registered on: 21-Jul-2014
    Expiry date: 21-Jul-2016
    Last updated: 21-Jul-2014

His OLD website:
    Domain Name: VALIDUSUK COM

Updated Date: 2014-07-07 00:28:14Z
    Creation Date: 2012-07-17 08:48:24Z
    Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2015-07-17 08:48:00Z

Registry Registrant ID:
    Registrant Name: PETER INGLIS
    Registrant Organization: VALIDUS COMMERCIALS LTD
    Registrant Street: FIFIELD HOUSE FARM
    Registrant Street: OAKLEY GREEN ROAD
    Registrant City: WINDSOR
    Registrant State/Province: BERKSHIRE
    Registrant Postal Code: SL4 4QF
    Registrant Country: GB
    Registrant Phone: +44.07823557557
    Registrant Phone Ext:
    Registrant Fax: 001.
    Registrant Fax Ext:
    Registrant Email: peter802 at btinternet com

His old company name details with him as a director under a different first name ?:
    Company Name Validus Commercials Limited
    Status Active
    Category Private Limited Company
    Company Number 07436524
    Registered Address Bridge House
    2 Bridge Avenue
    Maidenhead
    Berkshire
    SL6 1RR
    Country Origin United Kingdom
    Incorporation Date 11 November 2010
    Company Age 3 years and 11 months
    Classification (SIC) Agents involved in the sale of machinery, industrial equipment, ships and aircraft (46140)

DIRECTOR: BENJAMIN DAVID INGLIS Year of Birth: 1987 !!!
    1 appointments at 1 active companies
    0 resigned appointments
    0 appointments at 0 dissolved companies

PREVIOUS DIRECTOR: Ms Joanna Saban Year of Birth: 1973
    Directorships
    11 appointments at 11 active companies
    199 resigned appointments !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shareholders:
    DANNY HERRINGTON 1 (at £1) ORDINARY Ownership (%) 50.00
    BENJAMIN DAVID INGLIS 1 (at £1) ORDINARY Ownership (%) 50.00

£1,141
    Cash
    £-4,002
    Net Worth
    £22,719
    Assets
    £26,721
    Liabilities

Company Event History:
    02/09/2014 New Accounts Filed
    18/11/2013 Annual Returns
    02/09/2013 New Accounts Filed
    02/09/2013 New Accounts Filed
    23/07/2013 Change in Reg.Office
    23/07/2013 Change of Company Postcode
    16/11/2012 Annual Returns
    22/08/2012 New Accounts Filed
    29/11/2011 Annual Returns

Trading Addresses:
    Bridge House, 2 Bridge Avenue, Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 1RR

Also I've checked some registration plates from his vehicles:
    1. Reg. Local/District Office DVLA Worcester/Severn Valley - NOT STOLEN
    2. Reg. Local/District Office DVLA Stanmore/London - NOT STOLEN
    3. Reg. Local/District Office DVLA Wimbledon/London - NOT STOLEN
    4. DVLA Northampton/Milton Keynes (No official office ascribed) - NOT STOLEN
    5. DVLA Luton/Milton Keynes (No official office ascribed) - NOT STOLEN
    6. DVLA Shrewsbury/Deeside to Shrewsbury - NOT STOLEN

All vehicles taxed and MOT'ed. Registred all over the uk
    ----

Personally I think it's a scam but at least I got his PERSONAL DETAILS:
    PETER or BENJAMIN INGLIS born in 1987, VALIDUS COMMERCIALS LTD, +44.07823557557, peter802 at btinternet com

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

picture-253%7Es600x600.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Konok

RE: Importing a VW UK Das Welt Auto Appoved Used car

Don't pay the premium for the VW UK Das Welt Auto unless you are a UK resident. My policy was cancelled with no refund when Allianz discovered that the sales rep. put a fake UK address on my application form despite the provision of a non-UK address when asked. I made it clear from the start that the car was for export out of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭BowWow

Thinking of buying car at auction in UK. Looking at either Manheim or British Car Auctions. Both seem reputable.
    One thing I cant understand - Do you have to have an original registration document (V5?) to re-register the vehicle here? What happens if its not available at the sale? BCA seem to want to keep it and send to the DVLA in Swansea?

BowWow wrote: »
    Thinking of buying car at auction in UK. Looking at either Manheim or British Car Auctions. Both seem reputable.
    One thing I cant understand - Do you have to have an original registration document (V5?) to re-register the vehicle here? What happens if its not available at the sale? BCA seem to want to keep it and send to the DVLA in Swansea?
    You should get the V5, as otherwise registration here will be needlessly delayed.

I know this is a long thread, but search for 'DVLA V5 export' (without quotes) and you should find posts with links to DVLA requirements when a vehicle is being exported from the UK. Basically, the seller should give the complete V5 to the purchaser, and simply write to the DVLA stating that the vehicle is being exported by the stated purchaser.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    You should get the V5, as otherwise registration here will be needlessly delayed. I know this is a long thread, but search for 'DVLA V5 export' (without quotes) and you should find posts with links to DVLA requirements when a vehicle is being exported from the UK. Basically, the seller should give the complete V5 to the purchaser, and simply write to the DVLA stating that the vehicle is being exported by the stated purchaser.

Thanks for this. Have now read the last 50 pages of this thread and have a good idea of how V5c works. Anyone dealt with BCA?

(ps. This thread really needs to be cut down to the relevant info)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 martinst

Thanks for this. Have now read the last 50 pages of this thread and have a good idea of how V5c works. Anyone dealt with BCA?

Yea, I was on one of the British Car Auctions in PADDOCK WOOD, everything depends what you want to buy - what price range.

Basicly car auctions are loaded with the car dilers and becuse of the amount of the cars they buy they pay much lower auction fees which is very unfair for privet buyers.

For example as a privet buyer for a car sold on auction for £3.000 you need to pay approx £400 of additional fees. That's why dielers can offer more than you one the auction.

However if you wish to buy a cheap car up to 1,200 it's agood place for a bargains.

If you register for free on thier website british-car-auctions co uk you gonna be able to view the cars and some specs.

If you decide to buy a car on BCA try to pick a car with a MECHANICAL REPORT (they do that for some of the cars)

Personally I found better offer on EBAY than on BCA car auction.

This thread really needs to be cut down to the relevant info.
    Are you volunteering? :)

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel wrote: »
    Are you volunteering? :)

Sadly no - but I will post how I got on if I do this.........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

or stickied at the top!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

All cars sold in UK have no motor tax anymore, the new purchaser must sort their own tax. If you buy a car in a UK garage and drive it straight to the ferry port, what is the outcome if you are pulled over?

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Midlandsman80

http://auctionbuyerservices.co.uk/sample-page/

I know someone who bought a car via this guy and was very happy, has all guide prices and Just set him your limit, he makes his cash from charging you a fee but it's still less than you pay buying at bca yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

All cars sold in UK have no motor tax anymore, the new purchaser must sort their own tax. If you buy a car in a UK garage and drive it straight to the ferry port, what is the outcome if you are pulled over?

Potentially they might take the car off you. If you don't want to chance it, ask the garage to tax it for you (you can cash in unused months, although you may need a UK address to do this)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Anyone got a blue mybca card from British Car Auctions,is there much of a difference in the buyer fee between the blue card and that of a private buyer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

corktina wrote: »
    Potentially they might take the car off you. If you don't want to chance it, ask the garage to tax it for you (you can cash in unused months, although you may need a UK address to do this)

The changes are even more awkward; the refund would most likely go to the person who sold it into the trade at the earlier point. There's more to the recent changes than abolishing the paper risk and apparently it's causing a lot of issues for casual motor traders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭deandean

I'd appreciate if a more experienced buyer could have a look over my figures. It's not working out!

I want to buy a 2008 or 2009 Volvo V70, manual diesel and not the 2.5L engine. My budget is €10k to €11K.

On Autotrader.ie there are a couple of V70 2.0D's asking €10-11k.

I know there are lots more V70's sold in the UK. But the asking price for 2008-2009 2.0D car with less than 100K miles is region £7400 (asking price). This equates to €9400, plus €3640 VRT (154g CO2), total about €13000, plus transport.

Seems I am much worse off financially if I bring a V70 in from the UK. Are these figures correct? Thanks for any input.

Deandean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Marcusm wrote: »
    The changes are even more awkward; the refund would most likely go to the person who sold it into the trade at the earlier point. There's more to the recent changes than abolishing the paper risk and apparently it's causing a lot of issues for casual motor traders.
    Targeting casual traders is probably one of the ideas thought up by UK revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭costacurta

I'm currently looking at getting myself an Audi A5, the mileage here in Ireland for any of them from 08 onwards is through the roof so i've looked at the UK. I've noticed on the Audi website themselves that there are a number of decent options, low mileage (relatively), decent price etc.

I'm just wondering how skeptical i should be regarding their reliability dealing with an Audi garage. Never even thought about this option myself until being let down on a lovely A5 here in Dublin (Not as described shall we say)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement