Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What do you mean by reliability of dealing with a UK Audi dealer? Its just that you will be buying the car from them and bringing it home so your wouldn't have any more dealings with them I'd imagine unless you are buying fairly new that has a transferable warranty over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭costacurta

There is a 12 month warranty with any used Audi purchased from an Audi garage in the UK. Dealer in the UK is actually trying to sort with an Irish garage that they will cover 2 services and the 12 warranty if i go ahead with it. Seems to be decent customer service so far anyway

If your getting a transferable warranty then the risks are low, just make sure to get it in writing from the garage over here. I'd still do a history check also for peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭costacurta

bazz26 wrote: »
    If your getting a transferable warranty then the risks are low, just make sure to get it in writing from the garage over here. I'd still do a history check also for peace of mind.

Sound. Would you recommend any company to do a full check/report on the car before going ahead? I'll use motorcheck.ie for checking stuff like finance and that

The AA do a comprehensive inspection at about £199 I think but no idea if there are cheaper alternatives. The fact that it's been sold through the Audi dealer network and your getting a transferable warranty reduces the risk of it being a dog. But when spending £15k to £20k on the car then £199 to have it inspected thoroughly could be money well spent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

Have a quick one - currently living in London, been here for 2 and half years and am planning to move back to Ireland this summer (Jun/Jul).

With that in mind, I bought a second hand car in August, planning on bringing it home with me and avoiding VRT. What is the process like when I do bring it back? Will they look into the fact that I have put very little mileage in since it was purchased (maybe 600 miles to date).

Am I needlessly worrying about this?

You need to have owned the vehicle for at least 6 months before it qualifies for VRT exemption:

Details are listed here:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/tax-relief-transfer-residence.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Blured wrote: »
    Have a quick one - currently living in London, been here for 2 and half years and am planning to move back to Ireland this summer (Jun/Jul).

With that in mind, I bought a second hand car in August, planning on bringing it home with me and avoiding VRT. What is the process like when I do bring it back? Will they look into the fact that I have put very little mileage in since it was purchased (maybe 600 miles to date).

It says you need to have been both in possession of and using the car for the 6 months prior to moving back to Ireland so only 200 miles a month might give a picky Revenue official something to catch you out on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Blured wrote: »

It says you need to have been both in possession of and using the car for the 6 months prior to moving back to Ireland so only 200 miles a month might give a picky Revenue official something to catch you out on.

Do a few laps of the M25 if you're worried

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jodaw

Can a sorn vehicle bought in the UK be driven back to the ferry?

What are the guidelines? or would it need to be trailered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Yorkie_

I have moved over to the UK with work for about 10months. I am planning to buy a car in the new year and would prefer not to have to pay VRT when I bring the car back to Ireland.

I will own and drive the car in the UK for over 6 months but I will not be present in the country for more than a year. I have read the revenue guidelines regarding VRT and they say you can't avail of the VRT exemption if you are posted over in the UK for less than a year. Does anyone know how strict they are on this? Could I say my plan was to stay long term but circumstances changed......?

Thanks for any advice

When it comes to following guidelines Revenue cross every T and dot every I. They will look for proof that you lived there for over 12 months, i.e. payslips, utility bills, etc. There really is no middle ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭CVH24

A quick question as regards bringing a car back from uk that i bought in the uk, does it need to be taxed to drive it back, if so whats the best way to go about it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

CVH24 wrote: »
    A quick question as regards bringing a car back from uk that i bought in the uk, does it need to be taxed to drive it back, if so whats the best way to go about it?

Legally it is supposed to be taxed- and can be impounded if it isn't- but in practice- I've yet to hear of a cop doing anything other than give you a friendly wave when you tell him you're driving it over to Ireland........

Keep all the documents of sale etc handy- in case you get asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭carrollmark

Any advice on buying a Category D car from the UK?

Assuming it passes an AA Inspection with no issues, would I run into major problems trying to sell/trade it in in a year or 2.

Its a 2012 BMW 520D

Any views appreciated

Anyone that runs a history check on it over here will be alerted to the fact that it was a write off. Even though a Cat D is lowest grade write off and probably just cosmetic, your average punter will want to run a mile from it once they hear write off. Anyone who would be still interested will want to buy it a lot cheaper than the going rate of a non Cat D example. You would also need to have an engineers report/certificate to prove that the car has been repaired to a satisfactory standard.

Being honest, if you were keeping the car a good few years then there could be a saving in buying but if you only plan on keeping it for only 2 years it might not be worth the extra hassle come selling time imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭quattro777

A question on extras.

I'm considering importing a car from the UK next month. The model is not on the online calculator.
    It was first registered on the 22nd January 2011, Do Revenue go by the month or the day when calculating VRT on extras?

They go by date of original registration so the car will not be 4 years old until Jan 22nd 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I'm purchasing a car from the UK for import from a private buyer on the 2nd January and I'm wondering what form or forms I need for application. I checked the revenue website and and mentioned vrtvpd1 and vrtvpd2 forms, which form would i need? also mentioned was a "Declaration for registration of a new or used vehicle". Does this also need to be filled out?
    Any help is appreciated.

Buying an A6 from an Audi dealer in Manchester and I'm wondering if anyone can advise me on the tax situation if I drive it from there to the ferry in Holyhead

The salesman I spoke to today suggested taxing it and claiming the tax back.

Does anyone know how this works, if it's neccesary or if there's a way around it?

• Advertisement

Open to correction here but cannot see how you can claim it back unless you are a UK resident or have a UK address. Afaik the garage can tax it on your behalf.

How much are we talking about in tax? Might not be worth the stress of trying to avoid being pulled by the cops on the way to the ferry port. Welsh police are notorious for being proactive about tax and Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) cameras are everywhere there. If you are stopped you could miss your ferry, again weigh up the cost of tax versus the risk of being stopped and pending agro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

As Bazz said, you cannot reclaim any Tax left on a UK car. Simply because you cannot have the car in your name on a V5.
    The odd person has managed it before by getting the Seller to reclaim the Tax, but as you would have to leave the V5 with them until it's sorted it is a risk.
    Some people chance driving to the Ferry without Tax, most get away with it. But if caught by a cranky Cop you will probably regret not Taxing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

1jcdub wrote: »
    I'm purchasing a car from the UK for import from a private buyer on the 2nd January and I'm wondering what form or forms I need for application. I checked the revenue website and and mentioned vrtvpd1 and vrtvpd2 forms, which form would i need? also mentioned was a "Declaration for registration of a new or used vehicle". Does this also need to be filled out?
    Any help is appreciated.

you need to make an appoinment with the NCTS to assess the car for VRT, take money, ID and the complete UK V5C reg doct/ MoT cert with you. They'll do the rest

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    As Bazz said, you cannot reclaim any Tax left on a UK car. Simply because you cannot have the car in your name on a V5.
    The odd person has managed it before by getting the Seller to reclaim the Tax, but as you would have to leave the V5 with them until it's sorted it is a risk.
    Some people chance driving to the Ferry without Tax, most get away with it. But if caught by a cranky Cop you will probably regret not Taxing it.

Thanks lads ... appreciate the advice.

Starting to wonder should I fly over and back to inspect the car and pay to have it transported over.

I'd save the cost and hassle of taxing it and the return ferry.

Another question you might be able to advise on lads .... is a 1 year approved Used warranty valid in Ireland?

Dealer says no ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

mgbgt1978 wrote: »

+1 on the general advice but need to note that the new system makes it even more difficult. There's no tax disc anymore and the old method whereby the dealer headed to post office with v5c, insurance cert to get tax disc is effectively dead. The post office now is only for limited cases. The vehicle can be taxed online using new keeper supplement reference but I doubt the system would accept a non UK address. Plus even if it was done, I doubt that the database would update quickly enough to avoid ANPR issues. All that being said, if the car is recorded as "in trade", I suspect ANPR cameras are programmed to ignore it on the assumption that it's being used with trade plates thrown on windscreen.

Thanks lads ... appreciate the advice.

Starting to wonder should I fly over and back to inspect the car and pay to have it transported over.

I'd save the cost and hassle of taxing it and the return ferry.

Another question you might be able to advise on lads .... is a 1 year approved Used warranty valid in Ireland?

Dealer says no ...

Ask the dealer how much the tax is, UK motor tax is nowhere near how much it costs over here. I cannot imagine it costing as much as the cost of getting the car on a transporter. How far from the port is the dealer? Maybe they could meet you with the car at the port for a small fee to cover their time and trip back?

Regarding warranty - be very careful here, from a similar experience with VW the warranty is not transferable as it is a UK Audi dealer warranty. It maybe valid in the North if it is practical for you to travel up there otherwise you may need to see if the dealer will arrange something with an Audi dealer over here.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Ask the dealer how much the tax is, UK motor tax is nowhere near how much it costs over here. I cannot imagine it costing as much as the cost of getting the car on a transporter. How far from the port is the dealer? Maybe they could meet you with the car at the port for a small fee to cover their time and trip back?

Regarding warranty - be very careful here, from a similar experience with VW the warranty is not transferable as it is a UK Audi dealer warranty. It maybe valid in the North if it is practical for you to travel up there otherwise you may need to see if the dealer will arrange something with an Audi dealer over here.

The car is in Audi Manchester and I have the option of coming back with it thru Liverpool or Holyhead. Liverpools a lot closer but very long ferry crossing.

I don't see this crowd being very accommodating with making arrangements with a dealer here, but I have asked if I can bring the car to an Audi dealer in the North and am awaiting a reply. I have the use of a car transporter so I'm ok there.

Here's the car I'm looking at by the way ... think its very well priced considering the year and mileage compared to similar over here

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201412209760700/sort/pricedesc/postcode/sw193rq/radius/1501/make/AUDI/model/a6/price-from/17000/price-to/19000/page/1/usedcars

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭1jcdub

I personally wouldn't bother with taxing the car. I've imported twice before and neither car has UK tax on it. I did ensure I was insured before leaving the garage and driving to the ferry! You'll have no problems at all.
    Just make you appointment within 7 days of the car arriving in Ireland. And register it within 30 days as already mentioned

1jcdub wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't bother with taxing the car. I've imported twice before and neither car has UK tax on it. I did ensure I was insured before leaving the garage and driving to the ferry! You'll have no problems at all.
    Just make you appointment within 7 days of the car arriving in Ireland. And register it within 30 days as already mentioned

After I make my initial appointment and visit the NCT centre can I drive the car on the UK plates for 30 days or must I wait till I pay the VRT first?

• Advertisement

After I make my initial appointment and visit the NCT centre can I drive the car on the UK plates for 30 days or must I wait till I pay the VRT first?

When the car is inspected for VRT you can pay them there. Once paid they will issue you with an Irish reg number. You can then go get reg plates fitted and a few days later you should be able to tax the car. The entire VRT/registration process has to be completed within 30 days of the car entering the country.

Regarding UK tax, it's really down to luck. You might get away with it or you might not, up to you to chance it or not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement