Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭1jcdub

After I make my initial appointment and visit the NCT centre can I drive the car on the UK plates for 30 days or must I wait till I pay the VRT first?

You can drive on the UK plates for up to 30 days. When you make you appointment online for the vrt, print a copy of the appointment in case customs stop you as proof of the appointment.
    Get your vrt valuation on line as you'll need to bring a bank draft on the day. If you part by credit card they'll add an additional 1.5%to the final payment!. Also I believe they only accept up to €150 in cash

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

After paying the VRT you must display the 'new' Irish reg within 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

1jcdub wrote: »
    You can drive on the UK plates for up to 30 days. When you make you appointment online for the vrt, print a copy of the appointment in case customs stop you as proof of the appointment.
    Get your vrt valuation on line as you'll need to bring a bank draft on the day. If you part by credit card they'll add an additional 1.5%to the final payment!. Also I believe they only accept up to €150 in cash

Is it just the ROS service that can give you a VRT valuation - and if so what happens if ROS and the NCT "inspector" disagree.

VRT valuation on line is surely only useful if the NCT are going to go with it.

In other words what happens if VRT valuation online is 4,300 euros - your bring a bank draft for that amount - but the actual NCT valuation on the day is 5,000 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Online VRT valuation is only designed to be a ballpark figure, that figure is not set in stone.

NCT centre will look up the car's VIN in Revenue's database for the VRT valuation. If the VIN is not in the database then they contact Revenue who come back with a VRT figure. That's usually the time when a jar of lube is handy.

Old diesel wrote: »
    Is it just the ROS service that can give you a VRT valuation - and if so what happens if ROS and the NCT "inspector" disagree.

VRT valuation on line is surely only useful if the NCT are going to go with it.

In other words what happens if VRT valuation online is 4,300 euros - your bring a bank draft for that amount - but the actual NCT valuation on the day is 5,000 :(

You either pay the whole amount there and then or come back with it. If you think it's too much then you can only appeal it after it is paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

bazz26 wrote: »
    Online VRT valuation is only designed to be a ballpark figure, that figure is not set in stone.

NCT centre will look up the car's VIN in Revenue's database for the VRT valuation. If the VIN is not in the database then they contact Revenue who come back with a VRT figure. That's usually the time when a jar of lube is handy.

That's what I thought - but when the other poster was on about getting the valuation on line "because you will need to bring a bankdraft on the day" - I thought id missed some change or other in the system.

It can be hit and miss around it but I wouldn't bank on the online calculator as being the final figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

1jcdub wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't bother with taxing the car. I've imported twice before and neither car has UK tax on it. I did ensure I was insured before leaving the garage and driving to the ferry! You'll have no problems at all.
    Just make you appointment within 7 days of the car arriving in Ireland. And register it within 30 days as already mentioned

that's not the best advice to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭1jcdub

corktina wrote: »
    that's not the best advice to follow

I spoke from personal experience. Plus I know someone in the police over in the UK, and they said it would never be a issue unless you where pulled over for speeding etc. Also if you have a receipt dated for the for that same day and proof of a ferry travel, common sense would prevail. But each to they're own. If you feel uncomfortable doing this is up to you.
    Also the previous two cars I imported where exact to the figure quoted on the vrt website. Again this is my own personal
    experience. One thing I do know is, if your imported car has optional extras, that could raise the vrt price considerably depending on what they are.
    Wish you all the best with your purchase regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭carrollmark

Thanks a million for all the advice on this lads. Much appreciated.

What are my best options for paying for the car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Howdy, you all seem to know a lot re buying cars in UK and bringing them back - I know there are Q&As at the beginning of the thread but that was a good few years ago and things may have changed since then.

We are thinking of buying a car in 2015 (new/used undecided) and our understanding is that cars in general are of a better spec in the UK (and more choice) - is that correct?

New cars, I presume you pay VAT & VRT
    Used cars (older than 6 months) you just pay VRT
    You can probably get away without taxing in UK for drive from dealer to ferry but should insure it.
    When you get back to Ireland, you register it (I presume this is when you pay your VRT) and tax, insure it as usual

Is the above all correct? Is there anything else major that I'm missing

What is the VRT rate? I presume the VAT rate is the usual 21%
    My understanding is brand new

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭carrollmark

Just back from a succesful trip across the pond and home with a new car in the driveway.

Worked out great, very smooth process and I'd definitely recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Carlosd

Try Transfermate , Irish payment company ,they do dame day transfers to the uk and offer better rates than the bank by always check with your bank too.

They transfer from a uk bank account making it a lot faster
    Thanks a million for all the advice on this lads. Much appreciated.

What are my best options for paying for the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Hi all,

I'm in the process of buying a uk import its a bit confusing so i hope someone can help me as to what to bring to NCT centre.

The car i'm buying was brought in from the UK by a garage who sold it to someone who didn't drive or register it as his wife thought it was too big so he is selling it to me.

To i get a letter from him to bring to the NCT centre and will a E111 card be ok for proof of PPSN ?

I'm new to all this.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Hi all,

I'm in the process of buying a uk import its a bit confusing so i hope someone can help me as to what to bring to NCT centre.

The car i'm buying was brought in from the UK by a garage who sold it to someone who didn't drive or register it as his wife thought it was too big so he is selling it to me.

To i get a letter from him to bring to the NCT centre and will a E111 card be ok for proof of PPSN ?

I'm new to all this.

The garage should have registered the car here as far as I know. As the car is still on UK plates, the NCT centre will look for a receipt showing when the car was purchased in the UK.

The story you were given sounds like crap tbh, his "wife thought it was too big"??? :D

I suggest you ring the NCT centre before parting with any cash, assuming you have not already done so.

PauloMN wrote: »
    The garage should have registered the car here as far as I know. As the car is still on UK plates, the NCT centre will look for a receipt showing when the car was purchased in the UK.

The story you were given sounds like crap tbh, his "wife thought it was too big"??? :D

I suggest you ring the NCT centre before parting with any cash, assuming you have not already done so.

Going from a clio to a Passat Estate is quite a jump, even if it has parking censors;)

I have paid a deposit, i'll ring the NCT centre well i won't ring my local one as they don't do it:mad:

Hi all,

I'm new to all this.

I'd put money on that story being a load of cobblers. Sounds to me like you are buying from a small time wheeler dealer. Donedeal is full of them.

I'd put money on that story being a load of cobblers. Sounds to me like you are buying from a small time wheeler dealer. Donedeal is full of them.

I'll contact him and ask has an invoice from UK purchase, if he hasn't what can/do i do ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

you may well get charged a penalty for late registration.

Make sure you get the full UK V5C from off the guy or you will have trouble registering it

If it's the Dealer selling it t you, it's up to him to register it. The seller is not entitled to sell a UK reg car in the Republic.

corktina wrote: »
    you may well get charged a penalty for late registration.

Make sure you get the full UK V5C from off the guy or you will have trouble registering it

If it's the Dealer selling it t you, it's up to him to register it. The seller is not entitled to sell a UK reg car in the Republic.

He has the V5C. I tried to ring NCTS there but just got an engaged tone

• Advertisement

Have you done a history check and verified the service history, etc already?

Have you done a history check and verified the service history, etc already?

History check done and only part service history.

My own personal oil monkey has looked it over and driven and he's happy with it.

Sorry meant to add IF the car is bought in the UK as a private sale what will the NCT take as an invoice ?

Letter from seller ?

They have no way of verifying it so you or a mate could write one up yourself.

They have no way of verifying it so you or a mate could write one up yourself.

ssshhhhhh;)

I've seen the log book and done an online hpi search and all adds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭opti76

hi guys quick query re vrt ... im looking at a 08 smax... its an april registration up north..
    if i import it do i get the emissions based tax rate or engine tax rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭discombobulate

opti76 wrote: »
    hi guys quick query re vrt ... im looking at a 08 smax... its an april registration up north..
    if i import it do i get the emissions based tax rate or engine tax rate.
    I believe you get whichever is cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭opti76

perfect thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭kefir32

Hello,

I bought a car in the UK last year and imported same here and paid vrt as per normal. I now want to export the car back to UK as a trade in for another, the garage mentioned that the onus is on me to register the car back to UK but I don't live there so can't register it.
    I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this? I would prefer to export the car and claim back the hefty vrt I paid.
    Many thanks

• Advertisement

Might be easier to trade it in up in Northern Ireland, some dealers will take southern plate cars up there. Other than that I can't answer your query.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement