Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry/vehicle.html?execution=e1s1

There you go. Just input all the details of any particular model you're interested in and the nice folk in revenue will tell you what to expect to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Actually there's another website where you just have to type the reg of the car and it will do it all for you, it's a lot handier than having to type it all in manually on the Revenue site, I can't remember exactly what site it is, maybe someone here can...?

That's the one...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Strictly speaking you could be liable for VRT penalties but in reality I don't think it happens that often. But it's still something you need to keep in mind.

The seller should have the full UK V5 registration document. He hands this to you when you buy the car with no need to send any part of it anywhere. You need it for the registration process here. If he does not have the full V5 walk away as it will be a nightmare getting a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just a get a receipt from him stating the date of purchase. The only complication I could see is if the seller already presented the car for VRT meaning it's on their system and it's outside the 30 day period that the registration needs to be completed by. In that case I'm not sure what would be the story around penalties.

The V5 registration document is the UK equivalent of the Irish Vehicle Registration Cert or log book. Make sure you get this as not having it gives you a whole world of pain registering it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just a get a receipt from him stating the date of purchase. The only complication I could see is if the seller already presented the car for VRT meaning it's on their system and it's outside the 30 day period that the registration needs to be completed by. In that case I'm not sure what would be the story around penalties.

The V5 registration document is the UK equivalent of the Irish Vehicle Registration Cert or log book. Make sure you get this as not having it gives you a whole world of pain registering it here.

Does any of the V5 have to be filled in ?

No. You would only fill it in if you were transferring ownership within the UK. i.e. if a UK resident was buying the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    No. You would only fill it in if you were transferring ownership within the UK. i.e. if a UK resident was buying the car.

Ah sweet !

App in the NCT centre on the 25th and just want to make sure i have all the paperwork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

When you present the car at NCT/VRT you will fill in a form giving your and the sellers details, this is sent to Revenue who will deal with any tax liability issues.

If you are on your way to a VRT inspection appointment then I cannot see Customs having any problem. I would not be driving around in it for any other reason though until it has Irish plates on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

If you are pulled by customs, all they will do is demand the VRT on the spot, and I mean on the spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,633 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If you are on your way to a VRT inspection appointment then I cannot see Customs having any problem. I would not be driving around in it for any other reason though until it has Irish plates on it.

You wanna live up here near the border, where there are hundreds of Irish residents driving around on UK/NI plates for years and years!

NIMAN wrote: »
    You wanna live up here near the border, where there are hundreds of Irish residents driving around on UK/NI plates for years and years!

There are always exceptions and bordering counties have always flirted with the laws in this regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

What is the best method of paying for a car in uk, say if buying through a garage. I spoke to one dealer and he said customers from southern Ireland usually transfer money before coming over as it can take 24hrs to clear. Debit cards I think have a limit of 2.5K. Don't think I would be happy transferring money in advance. Other options I suppose are hanging around in uk until money is transferred. Any opinions?

Use something like transfermate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

nophd08 wrote: »
    What is the best method of paying for a car in uk, say if buying through a garage. I spoke to one dealer and he said customers from southern Ireland usually transfer money before coming over as it can take 24hrs to clear. Debit cards I think have a limit of 2.5K. Don't think I would be happy transferring money in advance. Other options I suppose are hanging around in uk until money is transferred. Any opinions?

Depending on the company you use to transfer the money- 15-20 minutes is the norm- not 24 hours.......

• Advertisement

Use something like transfermate.

Transfermate can take up to 24 hrs according to their website

Depending on the company you use to transfer the money- 15-20 minutes is the norm- not 24 hours.......

Which company can do it in 15-20 minutes?

Is it possible that the car was VRT'd already back in 2011 but the owner never actually bothered to apply for a log book or tax it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Maybe it was already registered in Ireland before and then exported to UK.
    Now back in Ireland.
    If that's the case, you probably don't need to pay VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

or the previous owner took it back to the UK when he found out how much the VRT is...

Hard to believe that it was parked up for 4 years. If the guy could not afford to VRT it then surely he would have sold it rather than letting it sit up for 4 years. Is there no service history in that time frame? It could have been driven to the moon and back in that time frame irrespective of what country it was in.

• Advertisement

Are you sure it was actually parked up for four years and not just driven around unregistered...?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement