Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭sidcon

Anyone know how to check MOD vehicles that have been imported.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭amf78

Robertr wrote: »
    For those looking to save a few quid here is my difinitive guide to importing cars from the UK based on my own experiences.

Hi Robertr,

Very nice guide. Has anything changed in the last 11 years as far as procedures/rules go?
    One more question if I may. If buying a vehicle approved by the dealer (e.g. an Audi A5 approved by one of the many recognized Audi dealers in UK), should I still arrange for a 3rd party inspection?

Regards,

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

might be worth reading the last 20 pages or maybe someone could update the OP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

amf78 wrote: »
    Hi Robertr,

Very nice guide. Has anything changed in the last 11 years as far as procedures/rules go?
    One more question if I may. If buying a vehicle approved by the dealer (e.g. an Audi A5 approved by one of the many recognized Audi dealers in UK), should I still arrange for a 3rd party inspection?

Regards,

Al

I wouldn't bother to be honest. It depends on whether you are a risk taker or not? I purchased a 2 year old A4 from a main dealer in Gloucester back in 2006 and had no bother. A HPI would be a good idea to do yourself once you have the reg number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

any good companies that deliver cars from uk to ireland at competitive rates?

have bought a car from auctions in japan and was spot on, thinking of buying from the uk now, have a car picked out, just trying to decide to take a chance and the dealers word and buy blind and have delivered, or fly over and drive it back.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is no way I'd be buying a car I didn't see or test drive myself. Driving it home is half the fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

would probably agree with the fun of drivin it back. buying blind isnt that abd, i would be having it inspected ofc.

worked grand with the jap auctions

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

What?! that seems astronimcally high, would never have expected it to be ever over 50%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

What car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Well i wasn't far off that i bought my car for 3,900 and the VRT was 2,715:mad:

Still the value of it on the open market here is about 9,500.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭kayser

Hey guys. Need some help with a few questions. Can I VRT a UK financed vehicle? My bro lives in the UK and he probably has better credit rating than myself here in Ireland. I plan to pay him the monthly installments as I cant drive my current car which failed very badly in NCT. It needs more repairs than its worth. Is it at all possible? Will appreciate you guys help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Is it still worth shopping in the North/UK at the minute with exchange rates so poor?

Will be buying a 14 or 15 Focus or Auris shortly and debating if I should be looking to shop up North.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭artheb

Hi Folks,

I am buying a car in NI privately. Revenue requires an invoice as a proof of purchase. What can I present for private sale as an invoice?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

artheb wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I am buying a car in NI privately. Revenue requires an invoice as a proof of purchase. What can I present for private sale as an invoice?

Thanks

Get the seller to write a receipt on a sheet of paper. Or else do it yourself. It's not something they look into too much.

Thanks for confirmation.

Just one more question. When I book my VRT inspection. I pay 80 for inspection but VRT amount needs to be paid within 30 days to Revenue? So I can drive this car with transfered insurance for 30 days, correct?

Thanks

You have to make your VRT appointment within 7 days of the car entering the country and the whole process including payment has to be completed within 30 days of entering the country. Not sure where you got the 80 euro fee to book inspection from. It's not something I ever had to pay before. Should not be any problems with insurance during this time.

• Advertisement

Sounds good. Thanks for your help.

Konrad

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭toushea

Bagenal wrote: »
    @ timmy4u2
    Thanks for the prompt response to my previous questions,I have a couple of more you might be able to help me with.

(1) On the VRTVPD2 form it asks for the VAT amount, the invoice I got states the Invoice Total including VAT i.e. it doesn't show a seperate VAT amount, would it be OK to calculate the VAT amount myself and fill in or does it need to be shown on the Invoice?

(2) Regarding the VRTFormFinal Version at Section A 11 it asks for the number of windows (excluding windscreen or sunroof), on the car I bought the drivers and passenger doors have small glass sections as well as the main glass, are those small glass sections counted as windows for the purposes of this part of the form?

(3) On the same form as at (2) at Section B 3 it asks for the Month and Year of Manufacture, there is nothing on the V5C Registration Certificate regarding this, where could I get this?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give

Bagenal ,
    Did you solve question 1 in the end , i am in a similar situation ?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭tooler7

Hi guys, I am looking at importing a 2006 mazda rx8 pz. I am unable to get a quote for Vrt off revenue website called them to get a quote and they refused to give me a quote over the phone and asked that I call my local customs office for which I did and they refuse to give me a quote also. Is there anywhere I can get a quote for this. I was planning on adding a additional €2k just to cover this. Is this enough? Also does this mean the Vrt would be calculated at 36%???

They will only quote you when you make an appointment and turn up on the day for a VRT inspection. On a car like that they probably will not have it on their system and will need to ask Revenue for a price. Have a jar of lube with you at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Just two quick questions:

If buying a car in Northern Ireland, should I be taking the v5 home with me and also getting seller (private) to write me out a receipt with the details of car, date, signatures and price etc?

Does the price you paid in £stg have a bearing at all against the OMSP with VRT?

Yes, Northern Ireland is the same as the UK so you will need the full V5 document. Get the seller to write you a receipt.

The price you pay for the car has no bearing whatsoever on the OMSP. You could get the car fro free and still have to go with the OMSP that Revenue have determined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭tonic wine

I'm looking to buy a car with a NI reg.

I do I prove how long the car is in the ROI, as from talking to the customs, I'm responsible for any penalties that are due. Eg 1% per day of the cost of duty that the car is in ROI without been cleared.

How long do you have now to get the car cleared once landing in the ROI?

A VRT inspection has to be booked within 7 days of the car coming into the country. The entire registration process has to be done within 30 days.

If the car has been in the country more than that time and you are buying it now then get a purchase receipt from the seller. You should not have to pay VRT penalties if you didn't buy the car outside the above period. Might be worth ringing the NCT though to make sure this is acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I unfortunately need to quote my own post now.

Met with revenue, provided documentation, provided it twice more after they needed clarification and they have responded to today refusing the request.

Was refused on the grounds that my wife has personal ties with Ireland (myself) and this seems to trump occupational ties.

This is the line that got me
    if your occupational ties were in a different country from your personal ties then the country of your personal ties is taken as your normal residence if you returned there regularly (i.e. for most of your non-working days)

I would hope I can appeal on the above as this has room for interpretation. Certainly most free days off were spent in the UK. Do we know if the above is defined in any legal statute? Anyone recommend a solicitor?
    I know this has probably been covered a million times, but here is come conflicting information out there.

The Moving FAQ page actually doesn't mention the NCTS centre.

My Wife is moving back to Ireland.
    She bought a car over there last year (March).
    VRT will be free as we've had the car 10 months and it has enough mileage on it (7350 miles currently).

The car will need to remain in her name I know.
    I have a insurance policy I will transfer to the car with her as a named driver. Insurance company okay-ed her being the owner and named driver.

Who do I need to meet with?
    The NCTS centre to get the car checked to say it is what it is?
    Do I need to go to the tax office before or after or at all to get the exemption?
    What proof of address does she need? She doesn't have much proof of Irish address. Would my proof of address and marriage cert count for anything?
    Will a Dublin tax office only deal with people based in Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,809 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Lets be realistic here MOST people in the Uk WON'T return to Ireland on days off.

Hate this trying to find a way out of allowing your wife the VRT exemption.

Kick up a massive fuss with them

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement