Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

Harcrid wrote: »
    I have also bought privately in the UK multiple times. I didn't see the point in paying a premium for a dealer car when I would not have been able to enjoy the benefits of it such as warranty as it would have been of no use to me in Ireland.

Car inspection is essential and I would do it no matter if I was buying private or through a dealer. I have used Dekra and AA in the past and they are pretty much the same. In both cases I got to speak directly to the guy who tested the car and was able to go down through the emailed report while speaking over the phone. You can't beat that kind of peace of mind when travelling over to buy a car.

Actually when I bought my car from a main dealer in the UK they told me the warranty would be honoured Europewide including Ireland. In fact in Ireland at the time the car would have come with a two year warranty but a three year warranty in the UK, when I suggested an Irish dealer would probably not honour the third year he suggested I just bring it to any main dealer in NI and they would honour it. Fortunately I never had to test the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

Yes that's true if the car has manufacturers warranty, but the cars I bought were never new enough to still have that warranty still active on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Actually when I bought my car from a main dealer in the UK they told me the warranty would be honoured Europewide including Ireland. In fact in Ireland at the time the car would have come with a two year warranty but a three year warranty in the UK, when I suggested an Irish dealer would probably not honour the third year he suggested I just bring it to any main dealer in NI and they would honour it. Fortunately I never had to test the warranty.

If it's a VAG car then this is correct. I had to bring my old Passat CC to Belfast for a new clutch/flywheel and gearbox which were covered under warranty. VW Ireland only offered partial goodwill as they didn't recognize the 3rd year of the warranty. Even with goodwill the bill would have been silly money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 In focus

This is the great unknown for many, having dealt with a few manufacturers on this point I would advise anybody to treat any manufacturers warranty's with care when looking to transfer the cover to Ireland. Generally, manufacturers (VW, FORD) have the same basic cover - 2 years was the norm for many cars in 2012/13 - UK main dealers offer the third year that's specific to the UK and cannot be transferred to Ireland. I had great fun with VW on this.

For other manufacturers that offer 7 years etc, the fact is that only the first 2 years is actually the manufacturer the last 4/5 are by a third party like MAPFRE, who in fairness are excellent, but I wouldn't count on the transfer from the UK to Ireland.

dvmanley wrote: »
    I have spent all morning being thrown around from billy to jack by the revenue, and ill i need to know is the answer to one simple quistion....

It would seem the only way to drive one of those lovely 4x4s is to be self employed eg= commercial tax and vat back on the 5 seat utilitys.

So being that i am self employed, im about to take the plunge and buy a 5 seat utilty (n1 goods)

My quistion is, before I purchase a jeep here, if I purchase a jeep in the uk that qualifies for the n1 goods vehicle retirements, am i going to be stung with passenger vrt, eg 30 odd % or will i pay the commercial rate of vrt eg 13%

If anyone knows where im at in terms of the vrt, your help would be much appreciated haha!

I think its the B1 form you need to fill out, as a commercial with more than 3 seats you will be liable for an inspection at the VRT office, in fairness all cars/vans are. You should pay 13% however they will refer the issue to the CV office in Rosslare if the vehicle is not on the VRT calculator - should be under commercials N1 selection on the VRT calculator

Its a bit of an unknown what might turn up, I've brought in all sorts, crew cabs of various types and you are guessing a bit when it comes to VRT

The biggest issue is OMSP updates, there are savage at the moment, as sterling strength is pushing up the price of cars in Ireland, and happen monthly, so you could have a figure from the VRT estimator (I dont call it a calculator that aludes to accuracy!)

The thing is I don't know anyone that has a handle on this and we live in that space!

• Advertisement

Ring Revenue and talk to them. They're human too- more often than not they'll come up some sort of a mutually agreeable solution.

Its impossible to talk to them on the phone, in fairness though they do reply online, their email is pretty much common knowlegde

However, they don't do estimates and I don't blame them, they will answer queries in general in relation to VRT issues and in my experience have been extremely helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jcon1913

Harcrid wrote: »
    I have also bought privately in the UK multiple times. I didn't see the point in paying a premium for a dealer car when I would not have been able to enjoy the benefits of it such as warranty as it would have been of no use to me in Ireland.

Car inspection is essential and I would do it no matter if I was buying private or through a dealer. I have used Dekra and AA in the past and they are pretty much the same. In both cases I got to speak directly to the guy who tested the car and was able to go down through the emailed report while speaking over the phone. You can't beat that kind of peace of mind when travelling over to buy a car.

Im thinking of buying in the UK but apart from better spec / better servicing there doesnt appear to be any savings. Looking at a 2010 honda civic 1.4 5 door. Cost £6,000 multiplied by 1.4 to convert to euros and your up to €8,400. Add €2,300 VRT. TOTAL €10,700. Yet there are a few for sale privately in Ireland for the same price. I am looking at Cargiant, ros.ie and carzone for figures. Have i picked a car that there are no savings to be made?

You have to decide if you want to buy in the UK for a better spec/tidier car or just to save money. With the exchange rate these days is hard to do all.

bazz26 wrote: »
    You have to decide if you want to buy in the UK for a better spec/tidier car or just to save money. With the exchange rate these days is hard to do all.

Yeah id be happy to save a few quid but the figures i am looking at mean id just break even. Do i need to look for a more basic model in the UK so i am comparing like with like?

Well for me buying a UK car, my priority is getting the car with the right spec and condition. Doing it to save money is further down the list. I don't see the point in getting a lower spec car, might as well buy it here at that rate.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Well for me buying a UK car, my priority is getting the car with the right spec and condition. Doing it to save money is further down the list. I don't see the point in getting a lower spec car, might as well buy it here at that rate.

Yeah fair enough if you want a higher spec car for the same money as a lower specced one here. Anyway im guessing the answer to my question is that yes i should look carefully and i will get a lower priced car in the UK if i look for the exact same car as i can see for sale on carzone here.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭kenn0

Hi all

Buying car five hours drive rom ferry next week. What is the exact story with UK car tax? From what I am reading the car will not be taxed when I buy it. How can I buy and drive car and not get busted for no tax. I know I can take a chance but I don't want to. Potentially big fines and/or car impounded.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

If your buying from a garage the might be able to tax it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭kenn0

mgn wrote: »
    If your buying from a garage the might be able to tax it for you.

They cant as I am not a UK resident. Once car is sold tax is refunded to the previous owner.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Just drive it back with your papers, insurance etc. If you get stopped then explain to them the score. The Plod are reasonable people if you're genuine.

I just drove one back on the 30th June (4 1/2 hrs - 270 miles). Didn't have an updated insurance cert back in the post in time and took a SailRail ticket. Handier was the fact that although it was a trade-in sale around the middle of the month, the paperwork hadn't got back to the DVLA. As of the 30th June, it was still taxed and still insured so no red flags to merit getting a tug by the ANPR.

http://ownvehicle.askmid.com/ - Motor Insurance Database
    http://www.vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk - DVLA Database

Today the vehicle is showing as untaxed (due 3rd June). So whilst the tax technically drops off at point of sale/transfer, the paperwork takes a while to catch up.

(From a practical point of view as the tax was due to expire on the 30th June anyway, and the transfer was done after 31st May (2nd June), then the previous keeper would have got nothing back anyway and tax would have been paid for June. I don't see why the DVLA should trouser two lots of tax in one month!)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭tramoreman77

need some advice,im going to this car well i was had everything except the vrt done ,euro to pound changeover ,Lexus IS 220d SE-I 4dr - 2009 ..the vrt is over 4000 euro omg seriously how the hell do they estimate that,i have a cousin in liverpool ,is there a way around this

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

i have a cousin in liverpool ,is there a way around this

No.
    Its called 'Vehicle Registration Tax'- as soon as you bring it over here- as you haven't been resident abroad yourself- the tax is due on it. If your cousin bought it- and gave it to you- you'd still have to pay the tax.

Also- there rules about seeking advice on this website concerning tax evasion..........

Did you not calculate the VRT prior to buying the car? Those IS220ds do not have the lowest emissions which has a baring on the cost of VRT. Sounds like you didn't do much homework prior to buying the car being honest. There is no way to dodge or evade paying the VRT if you want to put Irish plates on it, unless you just sell the car on UK plates either here or up North and look at buying something else with lower VRT.

it was weird i put in the everything and the emissions came in at 2750 and the orig was 4 k plus,so what do i pay

sorry im not trying to avoid paying it im just flabergatsed that its so much

• Advertisement

it was weird i put in the everything and the emissions came in at 2750 and the orig was 4 k plus,so what do i pay

The car's emissions should be listed on the V5 registration cert, this is what they go by. Of course you have to select the correct model and basic spec on the vrt calculator page as this too has a baring on the final VRT figure. Just make sure you are putting in the IS220d and not IS200d which came out later and had lower emissions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Whats different between the information you put in the calculator- and your current information? If its only the emissions- and the emissions you've put in are accurate then happy days. If you are convinced the emissions data is accurate- and Revenue disagrees- all you need to do is apply for the Certificate of EU Conformity from the Manufacturer (the manufacturer may charge you for the Cert- I paid Volvo 200 Euro for mine) and Revenue will revise the tax demand- issuing you with a refund for any overpayment made.

i put in the type of model then the emissions and the emissions was cheaper4k v 2500k

Right I just used the VRT calculator for a few different IS220d models.

Statistic code - 41185757 - €3460 - emissions - 163g
    Statistic code - 41285757 - €3114 - emissions - 148g

i put in 122

Where did you get the 122g from?

sorry your right 148 so is that what i will pay 3k

is it worth 6500k sterling and 3k euro well say 13000 euro for that model and the vrt altogether

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

No.
    Its called 'Vehicle Registration Tax'- as soon as you bring it over here- as you haven't been resident abroad yourself- the tax is due on it. If your cousin bought it- and gave it to you- you'd still have to pay the tax.

Also- there rules about seeking advice on this website concerning tax evasion..........

It's an illegal tax so I would no problem telling people ways around it.

• Advertisement

sorry your right 148 so is that what i will pay 3k

Check what is on the car's V5c UK log book, this is the emissions figure they will go off.

Also is it a SE-L model or SE-I? The SE-L has a higher Original Market Selling Price (OMSP) which increases the VRT figure also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement