Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

you aren't locked in to complete the deal, but you may well not get your deposit back, the point being the seller may have turned other buyers away on the strength of the deposit being paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DOC2015

Ah I see, so maybe I should try and wait until AA report comes back before I pay deposit. Very hard to part with that amount of money without seeing and "getting a feel for the car" as such. My prob is that there's only one car in the spec and price I want. Next similar car would be over 200 miles away. Guess I'm gonna have to put my money where my mouth is I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

DOC2015 wrote: »
    Ah I see, so maybe I should try and wait until AA report comes back before I pay deposit. Very hard to part with that amount of money without seeing and "getting a feel for the car" as such. My prob is that there's only one car in the spec and price I want. Next similar car would be over 200 miles away. Guess I'm gonna have to put my money where my mouth is I suppose.

I had to put a deposit on to keep the car before getting inspection done.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭DOC2015

Mc Love wrote: »
    I had to put a deposit on to keep the car before getting inspection done.

Are you serious? Do you mind me asking what dealer?

The car Ive had my eye on is in SNOWS TOO GOOD TO AUCTION Plymouth...they seem to be a big company all around the south west of England..not sure if thats a good or bad thing. Also, I cant find any proper reviews online about them. I suppose no bad reviews might be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Just to give you prospective buyers so info, was reading today that the talk of Brexit is weakening Sterling against the Euro. Good news for those thinking of heading across the water, including myself

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/if-disastrous-brexit-happens-how-would-it-affect-us-34369943.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Anybody recommend any good websites to search for UK cars? Looking at bringing in a Hilux myself. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Anybody recommend any good websites to search for UK cars? Looking at bringing in a Hilux myself. Thanks

Autotrader.co.uk is great. Good filters to find the ideal model in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Will be going north soon to buy a car ..............whats the best website to find one there ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Will be going north soon to buy a car ..............whats the best website to find one there ?

Usedcarsni.com is a good one I find. Found both my NI imports on it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

flanzer wrote: »
    Just to give you prospective buyers so info, was reading today that the talk of Brexit is weakening Sterling against the Euro. Good news for those thinking of heading across the water, including myself

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/if-disastrous-brexit-happens-how-would-it-affect-us-34369943.html

We briefly hit 77p last week- we're at 76.45 this morning- and commentators on the Economist are suggesting we may hit 80p over the next few days...........

Even if you're not buying at the moment- if you can lock in a chunk of currency at a good rate- you could save yourself a few hundred at very least.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

DOC2015 wrote: »
    Are you serious? Do you mind me asking what dealer?

The car Ive had my eye on is in SNOWS TOO GOOD TO AUCTION Plymouth...they seem to be a big company all around the south west of England..not sure if thats a good or bad thing. Also, I cant find any proper reviews online about them. I suppose no bad reviews might be a good thing.

Oldham motors, it was pretty much the cheapest on AutoTrader, so I can accept they asked for a deposit
    PauloMN wrote: »
    Usedcarsni.com is a good one I find. Found both my NI imports on it.

Didnt think the quality of spec of the cars on NI were great, and were much more the same as what we have in the ROI!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Hi all, I purchased in the UK in early January and had the VRT inspection on Friday. The VRT figure came in 20% higher than the estimate I got from Revenue's VRT calculator on the day I bought it. Checked it this morning versus the estimate I printed off and revenue have increased the OMV for the model by 20%. Emissions level etc are the same and haven't been amended.

I felt at the time that Revenue's OMV was low compared to the list price of the most comparable model. I feel I should appeal it as the estimate was key to me deciding I could afford the car but if I'm wasting my time and energy, I'd like to know that.

Has anybody here had a similar experience or successfully appealed the VRT calculation from Revenue?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

Hi all, I purchased in the UK in early January and had the VRT inspection on Friday. The VRT figure came in 20% higher than the estimate I got from Revenue's VRT calculator on the day I bought it. Checked it this morning versus the estimate I printed off and revenue have increased the OMV for the model by 20%. Emissions level etc are the same and haven't been amended.

I felt at the time that Revenue's OMV was low compared to the list price of the most comparable model. I feel I should appeal it as the estimate was key to me deciding I could afford the car but if I'm wasting my time and energy, I'd like to know that.

Has anybody here had a similar experience or successfully appealed the VRT calculation from Revenue?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

What you need to do is check what value similar cars have here in Ireland at the moment, so check the car sales websites and compare to the OMSP that the NCT gave you. If you find that the OMSP is too high compared to what they are selling for here then you should probably appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is now an ok time to buy in sterling, I presume meet them with a bank draft at the ferry is the safest thing thinking of getting the boat next week.
    It's and RAC approved garage and they said they've done the inspection on it, is that enough for piece of mind?
    Not really saving much but can't find the same car here and I've been looking for a while.

I personally always get my own inspection. I didnt once, and it bit me a little bit. Its costly enough but it gives me some piece of mind before travelling.

Check with the seller if they accept bank draft. Some may insist on waiting for the band draft funds to clear into their account before handing the car over.

I personally always get my own inspection. I didnt once, and it bit me a little bit. Its costly enough but it gives me some piece of mind before travelling.

Check with the seller if they accept bank draft. Some may insist on waiting for the band draft funds to clear into their account before handing the car over.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Is now an ok time to buy in sterling, I presume meet them with a bank draft at the ferry is the safest thing thinking of getting the boat next week.

If you have a chip and pin card, you can pay by that. You will sometimes get a better rate too. The mid rate it's called. Bought a car this way a few years back and got the rate 1p better than the bank. Might not seem much but 1p in a £14 or £15k car could be the price of your flight and your ferry.

Harcrid wrote: »

No won't accept a draft, well he will but I could be waiting a few days for it to clear, I'm thinking transfer before I get there as I only have a couple of hours when I land, I'll check out what op said below about the mid rate paying by card. Came across a crowd called Azimo they seem to the cheapest https://azimo.com/en/?home&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc_brand_ie&utm_term=azimo&utm_content=s-en%7Cbrand%7Cpure%7Cbroad&utm_name=s-en%7Cbrand%7Cpure%7Cbroad
    There's also an AIB where i'm flying into, wondering if I withdrew the money there would it be cheaper than buying it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Try the likes of transfermate.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Try the likes of transfermate.

Yea spotted them as well, any experience with them, looking at doing the transfer Monday and hoping they'll have it Tuesday, I've very limited time if it goes wrong, there picking me up at the airport Wednesday at 9am and won't hand over the car unless the money is in their account and I've to be at the ferry at half 2 or I'm stuck there until the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Billydoc

I used currencyfair yesterday to buy car in north off dealer. They were the best rate available at the time. I sent money from my bank account round 4pm Thursday to currencyfair. They received it Friday morning. I exchanged it to stearling around 10 am Friday morning online and transferred it to his bank account online. He received funds Friday afternoon/evening. Fast and great exchange rate. Can't fault the service. They also based in Dublin.

Going to go with Azimo there nearly €500 cheaper than currency fare, transfer wise and AIB. All of them seem to give you a good rate then you go to transfer and they jack it up completely, I've signed up to a good few of them and Azimo seems to have locked in the rate as long as it hits there account within 3 days.

Why doesn't the VRT calculator take into account milage anymore, after trying a few cars now and none of them is the price affected by milage whether you import it with 1 mile or 100,0000 it makes no difference. Even tried it on the export calculator and it's the same no reduction for milage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Probably asked 100 times. But I am potentially looking at UK to buy car, I have offer for car in Ireland but only 5 seater and really need to invest in 7 seater...

I am looking at Cargiant and there selection is good but is there any alternative to cargiant?

I want to buy off big car company because I don't want problems with clocking etc. I would guess cargiant and larger companies would only have cars with full service history

I bought from an ordinary dealer but it has the RAC check and comes with 3mts warranty and 12mts RAC breakdown, they provided the copies of the service history, HPI and MOT certs, can't see what more a garage could provide, car has came straight from alphabet to the dealer, 1 owner.
    Haven't picked it up yet but hoping it's all ok. Garage is near airport and ferry so there picking me up and off I drive to the ferry if i'm happy with car when we meet.

I bought from an ordinary dealer but it has the RAC check and comes with 3mts warranty and 12mts RAC breakdown, they provided the copies of the service history, HPI and MOT certs, can't see what more a garage could provide, car has came straight from alphabet to the dealer, 1 owner.
    Haven't picked it up yet but hoping it's all ok. Garage is near airport and ferry so there picking me up and off I drive to the ferry if i'm happy with car when we meet.

Thanks, I can't get a decent 7 seater in Ireland, most are in sh*t or have huge mileage on them. UK seems to have a good stock.

Just want to guard against clocking etc.

How do you meant straight from alphabet?

There BMW's finance company, look after all the lease, pcp cars etc.

What car you after?

There BMW's finance company, look after all the lease, pcp cars etc.

What car you after?

That is questions...haha

Im looking at any of the following
    Peugeot 5008
    Ford C-Max or S-MAX
    Citreon Picasso(Dont really like this one but if I get a deal)
    Toyota Verso
    VW Touran
    Not sure what other options?

Want a few things like Climate Control, Reverse Camera or sensor, Cruise Control and if possible auto but I dont mind not having auto

So it is more the features than the badge. I would probably go diesel for the simple fact we might be using it most of the time and long journeys to france/holidays etc

• Advertisement

You should give this chap a call I knows he's importing 7 seaters a good while I know a mechanic who does a bit of work for him, https://www.donedeal.ie/view/11205704 Peugeot 5008 Active HDI he's in Nenagh and tipp but he always has 5008

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement