Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Dannyo wrote: »
    Update:

A friend of mine who has trade plates is going to come with me and put the plates in the window to cover us on the way to the ferry. He will be driving the car.

Irish trade plates have no relevance in the UK. IMO using them would only serve to draw attention to you. if it's a private seller then there is no reason why they cannot buy motor tax online on the purchase date. They will get a refund later but unless it's a very high emissions category, you are talking about tiny amounts of money. (This may be more difficult if the seller has not maintained insurance on the car.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dannyo

Marcusm wrote: »
    Irish trade plates have no relevance in the UK. IMO using them would only serve to draw attention to you. if it's a private seller then there is no reason why they cannot buy motor tax online on the purchase date. They will get a refund later but unless it's a very high emissions category, you are talking about tiny amounts of money. (This may be more difficult if the seller has not maintained insurance on the car.)

Cheers for that, IO spoke to the seller and the car is insured and as you mentioned about the tax, if I am happy with the car we can sort the tax out there and then via online before I leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Cant find any Toyota Corolla 2010-2012 on carsni . Are they sold out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cant find any Toyota Corolla 2010-2012 on carsni . Are they sold out ?

The Corolla hatchback ended production in 2007 and was replaced by the Auris. The Corolla saloon continued to be sold here but was discontinued in the UK when the Auris appeared in late 2007. The UK don't bother much with small saloons.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Golfgorfield

I'm heading over next week to collect a car, what is my best option for paying for it, as in how can i get the best rate of exchange.

Deposit is £300, balance on collection is £7900

Payment options below.

Transfer:
    Debit card:
    Cash(stg):

Just wondering as a few hundred here and there is a fair bit to lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

I'm heading over next week to collect a car, what is my best option for paying for it, as in how can i get the best rate of exchange.

Deposit is £300, balance on collection is £7900

Payment options below.

Transfer:
    Debit card:
    Cash(stg):

Just wondering as a few hundred here and there is a fair bit to lose.

The savings between the options isn't that much. It might be 1% and it can vary depending on when the rates are set. The biggest issue at the moment is what way the rate will move not the commission you'll pay.

Transfermate is very handy and probably marginally cheaper than a bank but it takes a few days to set up the account in advance, so you should look at it now before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

searay wrote: »
    Hi all, I purchased in the UK in early January and had the VRT inspection on Friday. The VRT figure came in 20% higher than the estimate I got from Revenue's VRT calculator on the day I bought it. Checked it this morning versus the estimate I printed off and revenue have increased the OMV for the model by 20%. Emissions level etc are the same and haven't been amended.

I felt at the time that Revenue's OMV was low compared to the list price of the most comparable model. I feel I should appeal it as the estimate was key to me deciding I could afford the car but if I'm wasting my time and energy, I'd like to know that.

Has anybody here had a similar experience or successfully appealed the VRT calculation from Revenue?

Thanks

UPDATE - Thought somebody might find the outcome of use. I looked for clarification from Revenue as to the basis of their valuation but got none. When you ring the number they give you, you are told the amount you've to pay and that's all.

Was annoyed so I submitted an appeal giving a copy of the VRT estimate I'd obtained in advance and details of similar cars for sale here and in the UK factoring in adjustments for mileage etc. Got a cheque back from them in the post today which is about 85% of what I felt I was overcharged by, so I'm happy with the outcome. No explanation as to how their figure was arrived at.

2 lessons, print off your VRT estimate before you go over and appeal if you think you are overcharged.

Just an update.

I called the customs office in Dublin airport on Thursday evening, and asked for advice, explained I was traveling to the UK Friday morning to buy a private car as a cash sale. I told her the amount of sterling which was over 10,000 euro.

Surprisingly the lady was quite abrupt in her manner and directed me to print of the cash declaration form and fill it out before traveling to the air port as the cash must be declared, and I must have proof of where I got the cash, proof of the exchange rate at the time and proof of what account it came out of! She continued to state I must present myself with said said form and cash at the security check area upon arrival at the air port.

Excellent, that all seemed straight forward but a little off putting at the same time through the tone of voice etc

Anyway, I did as instructed, filled out said form and presented my self to security at the security check area. The lovely lady I presented myself too was a bit taken back when I said I have a cash declaration form here with cash that I would like to declare.

She in turn consulted a senior looking Gentleman on the Security who proceeded to eyball me along with the rest of the security team haha. The lady came back and said she had to speak with customs who were about 100 metres away from me, they too in turn through their eyes over me before the lady returned and said I was OK, before asking how much I was carrying followed by a quick apology that she wasn't being nosey, and referenced the golden 10,000 euro rule. I laughed and was quickly on my way to my gate.

On the SORN issue, I was able to go online and tax the car myself for 6 months while I was in the sellers house. This enabled me to pass through the various ANPR and multiple police cars on my 160 mile journey without issue. I will cancel it when I change plates and can claim back 5 months of the cost.

All in all a very successful first time venture into buying and importing a used car (private) in the UK.

BTW the car is a cracker!

Cheers.

Just an update.

I called the customs office in Dublin airport on Thursday evening, and asked for advice, explained I was traveling to the UK Friday morning to buy a private car as a cash sale. I told her the amount of sterling which was over 10,000 euro.

Surprisingly the lady was quite abrupt in her manner and directed me to print of the cash declaration form and fill it out before traveling to the air port as the cash must be declared, and I must have proof of where I got the cash, proof of the exchange rate at the time and proof of what account it came out of! She continued to state I must present myself with said said form and cash at the security check area upon arrival at the air port.

Excellent, that all seemed straight forward but a little off putting at the same time through the tone of voice etc ( I was visualizing all sorts of stuff in my head, questions/interrogations etc Yeah I watch too many movies haha)

Anyway, I did as instructed, filled out said form and presented my self to security at the security check area. The lovely lady I presented myself too was a bit taken back when I said I have a cash declaration form here with cash that I would like to declare.

She in turn consulted a senior looking Gentleman on the Security who proceeded to eyeball me along with the rest of the security team haha. The lady came back and said she had to speak with customs who were about 100 metres away from me, they too in turn through their eyes over me before the lady returned and said I was OK, before asking how much I was carrying followed by a quick apology that she wasn't being nosey, and referenced the golden 10,000 euro rule. I laughed and was quickly on my way to my gate.

On the SORN issue, I was able to go online and tax the car myself for 6 months while I was in the sellers house. This enabled me to pass through the various ANPR and multiple police cars on my 160 mile journey without issue. I will cancel it when I change plates and can claim back 5 months of the cost.

All in all a very successful first time venture into buying and importing a used car (private) in the UK.

BTW the car is a cracker!

Cheers.

double post

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just curious- where did you get your sterling from- and at what rate?
    Cheers.

Just curious- where did you get your sterling from- and at what rate?
    Cheers.

Credit Union.

0.7 something Il have to root out the receipt

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Dannyo, meant to say it to you, but I said nothing to anyone and put the boot down for the 250km to the port. No problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

Just wondering what you do about insurance when driving it home, is there a special cover you can get or anything? Also do customs or anyone at the port inspect paperwork or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Nobody inspects anything, you can just transfer your Irish insurance to it for driving home. I can't see any policeman bothering about the tax if you were stopped once you show your ferry ticket, you'd want to be very unlucky.

I am with Allianz, I rang them, told them I bought the car ans needed to transfer my insurance over to drive the car home. There was no issue, all they needed was the reg number and they sent me an email to confirm I was covered in the event I needed to show proof.

Customs, there was a line of them about 6 spread across the area where the cars disembark, I did slow down as I approached preparing to stop, but the officer just nodded at me, I gave a wave and drove straight through.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hell4leather

Hi, i was just wondering how come I'm getting different rates of VRT payable on a certain car. I checked using the revenue website and then used Motorcheck by entering the reg number in. Any advice on why is it different? Or does anyone know whats the best online way of checking vrt on cars. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Billydoc

Hi, i was just wondering how come I'm getting different rates of VRT payable on a certain car. I checked using the revenue website and then used Motorcheck by entering the reg number in. Any advice on why is it different? Or does anyone know whats the best online way of checking vrt on cars. Cheers

Id say the revenue website is the most accurate.

Got a VRT refund today of €560. They charged me €3110 initially. They valued my car over €18000 and I valued it around €15000. Appealed and provided other cars for sale on done deal for around that price. I'm happy out!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭th hen

Was in to vrt my car today 2012 c250 cdi amg sport today, the only car they had on system is an auto of mine so I'm waiting to get a price on the manual.the vrt calculator has 142 emissions and mine is 131 so manually entering in 131 into calculator brings it up as 5198 or 5482 as there is 2 different cdi be sport 4dr model of cars on calculator. Hoping they come back with 5182 either way lol. I may appeal either way as they value Car at 28000 which I think is too high

• Advertisement

If you feel they value your car too high. Definitely appeal. Sure it costs nothing. Nothing to lose. And the cost of a holiday to gain!!

anyone got any suggestions for cars that you can save a few quid on by from uk. Preferably an oul reliable saloon, 2011 or later. Thanks

Cheers billydoc I will wait and see what they come back with but I think 28000 is too much, it's definitely not costing me anything near that !!!!!

Thanks billydoc, just one quick question, is refund in vrt common? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Make sure to compare your mileage to the revenue monthly allowance. (2100km a month for a diesel for example) I reckon I missed out on a couple of hundred for not putting in a claim for the mileage.

That's one way to get a refund. You can also be fairly sure of what you're gonna get

I gave 17000 euro for the c250 so hoping vrt is 5500 max so 22500 all in . The vrt value a 2012 c250 se at 23000 and sport at 28000 on they're calculator. No way is there a 5000 euro difference on different model cars second hand !

Pete123456 wrote: »
    Make sure to compare your mileage to the revenue monthly allowance. (2100km a month for a diesel for example) I reckon I missed out on a couple of hundred for not putting in a claim for the mileage.

That's one way to get a refund. You can also be fairly sure of what you're gonna get

Cheers Pete my car has 68000 miles and its 38 months old. 38 x 2100 is 79800 Kms which works out at 50000 miles roughly so another point to argue with revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

th hen wrote: »
    Cheers Pete my car has 68000 miles and its 38 months old. 38 x 2100 is 79800 Kms which works out at 50000 miles roughly so another point to argue with revenue.

Well check it up anyways... See here http://www.revenue.ie/en/about/foi/s16/vehicle-registration-tax/vrt-manual-section-08.pdf

I was an idiot if I think about it cause mine was 49 months old at 78000 miles... But you live and learn. I've put 7000 miles on it since October so I'll be looking to shift it and go again soon. Not to mention the few hundred difference because of the sterling weakening!

Thanks billydoc, just one quick question, is refund in vrt common? Cheers

I was told if you can prove that other dealers are selling it at what you believe the price of your car is. You've a good argument. It's on the revenue website on how to go about it. I printed off two/three different ads on done deal and carzone. I'd say it's not common but maybe people don't bother or most of the time revenue may get the value of the car right.

• Advertisement

Got vrt price of 5640, my car has 131 emissions so I'm in the 19% vrt bracket thus they value my car at €30000 !!!! I will definitely be appealing that as no way it's worth that privately or even at a dealers so will have to start my homework now and get relevant documentation to back up my statement. If my car was worth 30k I'd be selling it and make myself a huge profit lol. Madness

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement