Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

bemak wrote: »
    i'm negotiating over the price of a car in the uk at the moment and they said that i'd have to factor in RFL (road fund licence). does this mean that the car is currently untaxed in the uk and that i'd have to tax it just for the short trip to the ferry?

The RFL is refunded to the prior owner when sold. Cars held by the trade no longer have unexpired tax. It's been a big issue for small time traders without trade plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭bemak

Marcusm wrote: »
    The RFL is refunded to the prior owner when sold. Cars held by the trade no longer have unexpired tax. It's been a big issue for small time traders without trade plates.

ah right. and in the example of buying a car in the uk to bring back, is there a short term tax option for this or are you tied in to 3/6 months (whichever the least is)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

yayamark wrote: »
    How does revenue know when you brought in your car?

Basically if it has been bought a while back you will need proof of shipping or if it's in the north proof of storage. All mickey mouse stuff. You could just buy a ferry ticket from the UK to here and there is your shipping "proof".

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I was talking to a friend who has brought in 2 cars, he said the easiest way is just head to Arnold Clark and buy from them. He bought both cars in Scotland and then brought over on Ferry to belfast, anyone else bought from them?

Arnold Clark is a big franchise with lots of garages with lots of different manufacturers. Bought from one Arnold Clark outside of Glasgow before and the guy that picked me up at the airport was explaining that their VW garage was in difficulty and Arnold Clark came in and bought it of the family that owned it. Maybe it's the same with the rest of the garages. Buy bad performing garages and turn them around. The one I bought of was great, good costumer service . Manger came out to thank me, if there was any problems to get in contact, rang a few days later to see was all ok so would recommend them. Short ferry crossing over to Belfast from Scotland, plus a good bit cheaper than Holyhead - Dublin

masit wrote: »
    Arnold Clark is a big franchise with lots of garages with lots of different manufacturers. Bought from one Arnold Clark outside of Glasgow before and the guy that picked me up at the airport was explaining that their VW garage was in difficulty and Arnold Clark came in and bought it of the family that owned it. Maybe it's the same with the rest of the garages. Buy bad performing garages and turn them around. The one I bought of was great, good costumer service . Manger came out to thank me, if there was any problems to get in contact, rang a few days later to see was all ok so would recommend them. Short ferry crossing over to Belfast from Scotland, plus a good bit cheaper than Holyhead - Dublin

was that in Greenock? looking there myself lately. Been on the phone to them, seem really good to deal with. There are enough variables in bringing a car in from the UK so dealing with an established company would hopefully reduce the risk. Don't know how people could buy privately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Beenlost123

Lads, Can anyone give me advice on buying a commercial van from the UK. I am hoping to do a caravan conversion on one. Most of the vans I like are in auctions (low milage+extensive service history+No stop start jobs). I am worried about buying a rust bucket though but I am sticking with vans that have been galvanised. Any solutions to this? I am obviously new to all this. I dont want to have to go over to each auction to look for rust.

was that in Greenock? looking there myself lately. Been on the phone to them, seem really good to deal with. There are enough variables in bringing a car in from the UK so dealing with an established company would hopefully reduce the risk. Don't know how people could buy privately.

No, it was in a place called Wishaw just down the M74 from Glasgow. On the drive from the airport I was chating to the driver and it turned out a garage from my local town in Ireland buys or used to buy (2 years ago now) all his car from this garage. I got caught badly with a car from a small garage down near London. I had ferry booked so was under pressure to get going to make the ferry so had a quick look at the car. When I got home I found out it was crashed. So any more I don't book ferry until I'm in the car on the way to the ferry and from main dealers from then on. Not taking the risk any more. You might pay a bit more but as the saying goes, buy cheap buy twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

i'm negotiating over the price of a car in the uk at the moment and they said that i'd have to factor in RFL (road fund licence). does this mean that the car is currently untaxed in the uk and that i'd have to tax it just for the short trip to the ferry?

The UK scrapped paper tax discs last October. When you buy a second-hand car in the UK these days, the tax doesn't transfer over so all second-hand cars are bought and sold untaxed. Apart from insurance and MOT (presumably the car is being sold with a valid MOT), you'd need to tax the car before you can drive it legally on UK roads. The Irish approach where you tell the guard that the tax is in the post definitely doesn't work in the UK - if the car's not taxed it'll be seized and won't be released back to you until you've paid the tax and any release fee (including a towing fee and storage fee if necessary), plus you'll be fined for driving without tax. You can either tax a car for 6 months or 12 months. But, the good news is that you can declare the car exported once it's reached Ireland and claim a refund for any unused tax months (apart from the first month - you'll still have to pay that).

So find out how much the annual tax is for the car, tax it for 12 months, then claim back the 11 unused months after you get it to Ireland. It works out cheaper to tax it for 12 months than 6 months, as the price per month is higher if you tax it for 6 months. For example, if the 12 months tax was £240 ( = £20 per month), the tax for 6 months might be £150 rather than half of £240. In that case, you'd have to pay £150 divided by 6 = £25).

UK car tax isn't too bad but you'll probably pay around £20 - £30 for one month's road tax. If you don't time it right, you could end up paying two month's road tax as you can't claim tax back for part of a month, only for full months. For example, if you bought a car today, you'd need to claim the tax back by 31st March at the latest. If you waited until 2nd April, you'd also have to pay for the full month of April.
    You automatically get a vehicle tax refund by cheque for any full months remaining when you tell DVLA that your car, motorbike, lorry, bus or other vehicle has been:

sold or transferred
    scrapped at an automated treatment facility
    exported
    taken off the road and you’ve made a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification)
    given an exempt duty tax class
    If your vehicle has been stolen you’ll need to apply to DVLA for a refund.

You’ll usually get the refund in 4 to 6 weeks.

Your vehicle must be registered with DVLA. The refund will be sent to the name and address on the V5C registration document (log book).

If you pay by direct debit, this will automatically be cancelled.

If you made a single 6 month payment for your vehicle tax, you’ll have paid a surcharge. This surcharge isn’t refundable.

If your V5C has the wrong name or address
    Update your V5C and send it to DVLA together with either:

your SORN application form V890
    a letter with your new address, if you’re selling your vehicle
    If you don’t have a V5C or your cheque is wrong

Write to the DVLA Refund Section if:

you don’t have a V5C - ask them to send the refund to the right address
    you’ve got a refund cheque in the wrong name - return the cheque and tell them the right name

Refund Section
    DVLA
    Swansea
    SA99 1AL

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-refund

good advice! I was asking the guy at the arnold clark garage about getting an independent assessment done and he said of course it's possible but company policy maintains them to such a high standard that the won't sell anything that needs anything to it. Also a 2 month parts and labour warranty. If I was to take the plunge, it'll definitely be through a reputable dealer

good advice! I was asking the guy at the arnold clark garage about getting an independent assessment done and he said of course it's possible but company policy maintains them to such a high standard that the won't sell anything that needs anything to it. Also a 2 month parts and labour warranty. If I was to take the plunge, it'll definitely be through a reputable dealer

There is also one in Linwood which is right beside the airport. Lots of them in or around Glasgow city and they would be all main dealers. I'd say you won't need an assessment. Only thing I had with them was trying to sell me £15 of diesel and £30 car tax after we had agreed on the price of the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

There is also one in Linwood which is right beside the airport. Lots of them in or around Glasgow city and they would be all main dealers. I'd say you won't need an assessment. Only thing I had with them was trying to sell me £15 of diesel and £30 car tax after we had agreed on the price of the car.

They actually have a car I after at the moment near Birmingham. Did they do a cash discount for you?

flanzer wrote: »
    They actually have a car I after at the moment near Birmingham. Did they do a cash discount for you?

I got £800 off over the phone

Wouldn't budge a penny on price for me. Said it was already under CAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Clutchkick

Someone has probably already asked this but Jaysus there's a lot of pages in this thread!! What's the verdict on sourcing a car from a dealer fully over the phone and having the car delivered over by a separate company? I found a few companies with a quick Google search who offer car transportation from UK to IRL. One of them even offers to bring your cash and purchase the car for you, i think maybe I'd rather sort out some sort of bank transfer with the dealer. I'm just worried that I'd never hear or see from the delivery company ever again after they pick the paid for car, has this ever happened anyone, is it a good idea? ...Traveling over seems like a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'd be more worried about paying a large amount of money for a car you haven't seen or test drove than the hassle of taking a flight and ferry.

Clutchkick wrote: »
    Someone has probably already asked this but Jaysus there's a lot of pages in this thread!! What's the verdict on sourcing a car from a dealer fully over the phone and having the car delivered over by a separate company? I found a few companies with a quick Google search who offer car transportation from UK to IRL. One of them even offers to bring your cash and purchase the car for you, i think maybe I'd rather sort out some sort of bank transfer with the dealer. I'm just worried that I'd never hear or see from the delivery company ever again after they pick the paid for car, has this ever happened anyone, is it a good idea? ...Traveling over seems like a lot of hassle.

Don't think I'd chance that. Maybe if you bought a few cars of the same garage and could trust them. The only hassle I find is getting from airport to the garage. I always buy a car near enough to a airport or in a town or city that has good transport links from the airport. If you get an early flight over most times you can be back in Dublin port for 5pm.

If the garage is within a reasonable distance from the airport then some dealers have been known to collect Irish customers at the airport.

Just thinking about the possible Brexit and what effect it would on importing cars. Would there be any different rules and regulations. One good thing would be probably be better sterling rates.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Just thinking about the possible Brexit and what effect it would on importing cars. Would there be any different rules and regulations. One good thing would be probably be better sterling rates.

Sterling has already dropped almost 14% on the back of Brexit fears- there is nothing to say it would drop further (it just about 80p a few times in the last week).

As for rules and regulations- no changes on the immediate horizon- if the UK did vote to leave the EU- it would take 2 years to negotiate the exit- during which time it would be business as usual- but thereafter it may take up to 10 years to negotiate a new relationship.

If the UK do vote to leave- its a given that the terms on which they will be leaving will be such as to discourage any other members from leaving (there are at least 3 other MSs looking at the UK as a possible template for renegotiating their memberships).

The UK are not going to get favourable treatment here- come what may- but nothing is going to happen for a considerable period of time.

A lot of dealers here are starting to import UK cars again due to the drop in the exchange rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

bazz26 wrote: »
    A lot of dealers here are starting to import UK cars again due to the drop in the exchange rates.

Does that mean the will be coming on here telling everyone about the better cars in the UK,Like better roads,service history ect instead of what the have being saying lately like UK cars being bought in auctions for half nothing,clocked ect

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭tramoreman77

The neighbour up around the corner has bmw s and Audi in a yellow reg every week in his garden then when I'm driving down the road there in his fathers forecourt ,are they making that much on buying them in England

The neighbour up around the corner has bmw s and Audi in a yellow reg every week in his garden then when I'm driving down the road there in his fathers forecourt ,are they making that much on buying them in England

There is money to be made on higher value good spec cars,It's when you come down to say a 2010/2011 astra or focus things get tight

mgn wrote: »
    Does that mean the will be coming on here telling everyone about the better cars in the UK,Like better roads,service history ect instead of what the have being saying lately like UK cars being bought in auctions for half nothing,clocked ect

Reputable dealers don't tend to clock their stock as they have too much to lose. It's the wheeler dealer types selling from supermarket car parks or the side of the road and general chancers that have been doing this well before the current weakness in sterling. They were the ones buying the cheap high milers in UK auctions and giving them haircuts before selling them here at bargain prices to idiots who don't do proper background checks because it's a bargain.

I've bought 4 UK imports from reputable dealers here that have been in very good condition, higher spec with full verifiable service histories. Granted I didn't save much in the way of money over the Irish equivalent but then again getting a bargain wasn't at the top of my wish list.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Reputable dealers don't tend to clock their stock as they have too much to lose. It's the wheeler dealer types selling from supermarket car parks or the side of the road and general chancers that have been doing this well before the current weakness in sterling. They were the ones buying the cheap high milers in UK auctions and giving them haircuts before selling them here at bargain prices to idiots who don't do proper background checks because it's a bargain.

I've bought 4 UK imports from reputable dealers here that have been in very good condition, higher spec with full verifiable service histories. Granted I didn't save much in the way of money over the Irish equivalent but then again getting a bargain wasn't at the top of my wish list.

Have a look at BCA Auctions,The have thousands of low mileage cars,Some days cars can be bought cheaper than others,Like if the have 20 Ford Focus today you will buy one cheaper than the the day the have 5 for sale

Not in the market for a Focus type car and I bought two weeks ago, I had a car to trade-in anyway so it suited me to buy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭54and56

mgn wrote: »
    Have a look at BCA Auctions,The have thousands of low mileage cars,Some days cars can be bought cheaper than others,Like if the have 20 Ford Focus today you will buy one cheaper than the the day the have 5 for sale

I'm looking to buy a 4X4 at BCA auctions for my business. I've a Ltd company and I'm VAT registered. Do you know if it's possible for BCA to supply the car with zero rate VAT even though the hammer price includes 20% VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I'm looking to buy a 4X4 at BCA auctions for my business. I've a Ltd company and I'm VAT registered. Do you know if it's possible for BCA to supply the car with zero rate VAT even though the hammer price includes 20% VAT?

VAT on cars is not that simple as many/most will have been through private ownership and thus the VAT element will be calculated on what's know as the margin scheme. Where the ownership history can accommodate, a car might be marked as "VAT qualifying" meaning that the VAT can be recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭54and56

Marcusm wrote: »
    VAT on cars is not that simple as many/most will have been through private ownership and thus the VAT element will be calculated on what's know as the margin scheme. Where the ownership history can accommodate, a car might be marked as "VAT qualifying" meaning that the VAT can be recovered.

Thanks Marcusm, I didn't know that.

Here's a VW Touareg which is "VAT qualifying" - https://auctionview.british-car-auctions.co.uk/Results/LotDetail/66e94a551761456bbf63c450dffd065d?VehId=affb98e7-118c-4c24-b507-51f3fe380422&PageSize=10&SortOrder=LotNumber&LevelOfDetail=Detail&Source=Results

If (for example) I purchased that VW Touareg for a hammer price of £20,000 (made up of £16,666 + 20% VAT of £3,334) and I produced my Irish VAT number and Company number, confirmed I'm exporting the car to Ireland etc (maybe bring copy of Certificate of Incorporation etc) would the amount payable to BCA on collection of the car be £16,666 + the buyers fee?

My understanding is that intra EU sales can be processed this way and https://www.gov.uk/vat-vehicle-sales seems to confirm this.

Has anyone on here bought a "VAT qualifying" vehicle at auction (particularly BCA) and been able to pay the net zero rate VAT amount on collection of the car rather than the full 20% VAT inclusive hammer price?

• Advertisement

Thanks Marcusm, I didn't know that.

Here's a VW Touareg which is "VAT qualifying" - https://auctionview.british-car-auctions.co.uk/Results/LotDetail/66e94a551761456bbf63c450dffd065d?VehId=affb98e7-118c-4c24-b507-51f3fe380422&PageSize=10&SortOrder=LotNumber&LevelOfDetail=Detail&Source=Results

If (for example) I purchased that VW Touareg for a hammer price of £20,000 (made up of £16,666 + 20% VAT of £3,334) and I produced my Irish VAT number and Company number, confirmed I'm exporting the car to Ireland etc (maybe bring copy of Certificate of Incorporation etc) would the amount payable to BCA on collection of the car be £16,666 + the buyers fee?

My understanding is that intra EU sales can be processed this way and https://www.gov.uk/vat-vehicle-sales seems to confirm this.

Has anyone on here bought a "VAT qualifying" vehicle at auction (particularly BCA) and been able to pay the net zero rate VAT amount on collection of the car rather than the full 20% VAT inclusive hammer price?

A private buyer will have to pay VAT on the day and claim back later.
    You will get one of these forms to use to claim back.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement