Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I honestly don't know, but you may well have to pay the VAT and claim a refund later. Pretty sure that's how it works in the case of a 'new' vehicle anyway.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭54and56

mgn wrote: »
    A private buyer will have to pay VAT on the day

That's super info MGN, really appreciate it.

So, an "EU Trader" is any VAT registered company in the EU and the process is:-

1. Buy the car and pay the full hammer price on the day.
    2. Export the car to Ireland.
    3. Pay the VRT and register the car in Ireland as a company owned car.
    4. Complete the BCA VAT declaration and attach proof of registration in Ireland along with a copy of the purchase invoice and send to BCA to process the VAT refund, less their 6% handling charge.
    5. Wait a few weeks and get the VAT back.

Correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Probably asked before so sorry

My circumstances have changed so need car urgent, any decent dealers in North?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Find the car you want first and then research the dealer selling it.

www.usedcarsni.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Is it €200 VRT to bring in a VW Transporter from the UK? Can't seem to find it on revenue.ie's site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 sdmf14

Hi, going to UK on friday, if it turns out that the dealer doesnt have V5 present should I walk away from the sale ?
    If the car is just after passing MOT does it mean its in good mechanical condition ??

Lastly is there much difference in ferry prices if I buy it on the day ? Thanka

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭JiffyJ

That's super info MGN, really appreciate it.

So, an "EU Trader" is any VAT registered company in the EU and the process is:-

1. Buy the car and pay the full hammer price on the day.
    2. Export the car to Ireland.
    3. Pay the VRT and register the car in Ireland as a company owned car.
    4. Complete the BCA VAT declaration and attach proof of registration in Ireland along with a copy of the purchase invoice and send to BCA to process the VAT refund, less their 6% handling charge.
    5. Wait a few weeks and get the VAT back.

Correct?

This is very interesting. Looking to buy a car in the UK, can do privately, or through the company.

If I buy a "VAT Qualifying" car as a company car, do I effectively save myself 20% on the purchase price? Any BIK implications in ireland?

EDIT: Car would be over 6 months old and >6000 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭spillcoe

Would be interested to find out this too.

Lastly is there much difference in ferry prices if I buy it on the day ? Thanka[/QUOTE]

I wonder if anyone on here has purchased a car from BCA, particularly a VAT qualifying car on behalf of an Irish VAT registered company and they would mind summarising the experience, what to do, what not to do etc? It would be a huge benefit to those of us thinking of doing it for the first time.

Similarly, I'm thinking of registering for their online auction. I have a couple of models I am interested in purchasing and if I find some in the right year with the right condition grading (i.e. 1 or 2 see http://www.british-car-auctions.co.uk/Services/BCA-Autograde) I'd be prepared to buy online then pop over and collect rather than go along on the day of an auction and end up feeling pressured into buying something or over paying for something just so I haven't wasted a trip over. I think the benefit of watching a few auctions online and then having the patience to wait for the right model in the right condition at the right price would outweigh the benefit of me being there to kick the tyres as that's about all I'd be doing in terms of sussing out condition etc. as I'm no mechanic.

Good idea / bad idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

sdmf14 wrote: »
    Hi, going to UK on friday, if it turns out that the dealer doesnt have V5 present should I walk away from the sale ?
    If the car is just after passing MOT does it mean its in good mechanical condition ??

Lastly is there much difference in ferry prices if I buy it on the day ? Thanka

Personally I would not buy a car with out the V5. It's the logbook for the car. Would you buy a car here without the logbook or at least seeing it and signing it?

I looked up prices the day before I went and when I went to book on the day of travelling it was €10 more expensive.I was on the Belfast route which is generally cheaper than Dublin.

Just done a dummy booking. At 3 pm today, if you were to book a ferry tonight, sailing at 8.30pm it is €175. That same ferry time on Saturday is €179. Ferry's don't tend to be like flights. They stay in or around the same price. I'd say you would pay max €20 extra for a late booking vs a advance booking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I wonder if anyone on here has purchased a car from BCA, particularly a VAT qualifying car on behalf of an Irish VAT registered company and they would mind summarising the experience, what to do, what not to do etc? It would be a huge benefit to those of us thinking of doing it for the first time.

Similarly, I'm thinking of registering for their online auction. I have a couple of models I am interested in purchasing and if I find some in the right year with the right condition grading (i.e. 1 or 2 see http://www.british-car-auctions.co.uk/Services/BCA-Autograde) I'd be prepared to buy online then pop over and collect rather than go along on the day of an auction and end up feeling pressured into buying something or over paying for something just so I haven't wasted a trip over. I think the benefit of watching a few auctions online and then having the patience to wait for the right model in the right condition at the right price would outweigh the benefit of me being there to kick the tyres as that's about all I'd be doing in terms of sussing out condition etc. as I'm no mechanic.

Good idea / bad idea?

Do you not need to be a dealer to register for online auction?

Moanin wrote: »
    Do you not need to be a dealer to register for online auction?

f3ck it, I think you're right :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

f3ck it, I think you're right :mad:

Yes. You have to be a dealer to register for the online auctions

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Dannyo

An Update;

The car I imported is now fully complaint (Tax/VRT/NCT) , the VRT fee only deviated from the estimate I got online (6 weeks previous) by 18 Euro. Tax was done on C02 emissions even though it was originally registered in May 2008 (a common question aparantly with regards to capacity/C02 tax band qualification), before the July 2008 C02 cut in, as it is an import and not previously registered in Ireland.

Once it was VRT'd and I received my new log book, I could then book my NCT, which went off without any issues with 0.000/m smoke emissions test, :D !! Happy out

Also, just an FYI, I heard many a bad experience (to put it mildly) report from various people I know when dealing with the VRT Inspector/assessor. My experience was the complete opposite, I arrived before time with all my required documents ready and it was a smooth easy transaction. The lady inspector/assessor even had a joke about the kids booster seats I had in the rear, and proceeded to tell me about her husbands GT Alpha!.

In saying that, I did witness a guy pull up in a car and approach the vrt desk stating he wanted to VRT the car outside. After the lady stated he needed x amount of documents before proceeding, he fired a load of abuse at her, that it was a stupid system and it was easier to do it years ago etc. I can understand why the lady might be a bit abrupt when dealing with people if she has to deal with that sort of abuse every day! I would have taking the head off him for his tone......No, I dont work in customer services for that very reason :D

All in all a very successful en-devour from concept to my driveway.

Best advice I can give, is do your research extensively, be anal about it, particularly about th car details, ask for current pictures/videos and ask for Service history etc to be emailed to for inspection, a genuine seller will have no issue with this. Also do a HPI check and cross reference all information you gather.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sammyboy1979

Hi, I've recently imported a 2011 Astra and am having trouble with the vrt calculator, there is loads of different options for the exact same car and a difference of anything between €1500 and €2000. Doesn't make sense for example
    1.7cdti Sri 05dr-€1780
    1.7cdti Sri 5dr-€1890
    See doesn't make sense, how exactly will the accessor calculate the vrt?
    Would it help if I brought a couple of print outs from the vrt calculator
    Thanks in advance.

Thanks pal, that's came in at €1785, I'd be happy with that. Is that an accurate price?

Just for anybody intrested I used Transferwise to pay for the car, very cheap and fast and keep you informed so you can track your money from when it leaves your account to when it lands in the sellers account. I'd highly recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Hi, I've recently imported a 2011 Astra and am having trouble with the vrt calculator, there is loads of different options for the exact same car and a difference of anything between €1500 and €2000. Doesn't make sense for example
    1.7cdti Sri 05dr-€1780
    1.7cdti Sri 5dr-€1890
    See doesn't make sense, how exactly will the accessor calculate the vrt?
    Would it help if I brought a couple of print outs from the vrt calculator
    Thanks in advance.

Your % rate of vrt is based on the Co2 emissions of the car. So find the Co2 emissions on the log book of your car and see do they match one of the results on the vrt web page. When you are vrting your car make sure to print out and bring it along with you the result that matches your car Incase you are charged the more expensive rate.

Thanks masit, can't find a version of my car on vrt calculator that gives the correct Co2 emissions (121) but the one on motor check did.

• Advertisement

Thanks pal, that's came in at €1785, I'd be happy with that. Is that an accurate price?

If the Co2 emissions match,Then it should be spot on.

Brilliant, thanks again. I've the assessment this Saturday the 9th, I'll let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not sure how up to date that site is!

For a 30 year old car it told me VRT would be a flat rate of €50.

Also, says vehicle specs from http://www.motorspecs.co.uk/ are free - not so....

Not your ornery onager

Unless Revenue change the OMSP which they do frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Beenlost123

bazz26 wrote: »
    Unless Revenue change the OMSP which they do frequently.
    Can you ask them for a quote of the OMSP of a vehicle in advance of buying one?

Can you ask them for a quote of the OMSP of a vehicle in advance of buying one?

You get a quote from the VRT calculator:

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s1

But it is only a quote at the time of enquiry, there is no guarantee that that figure will be correct at the time of presenting the car for a VRT inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Beenlost123

bazz26 wrote: »
    You get a quote from the VRT calculator:

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s1

But it is only a quote at the time of enquiry, there is no guarantee that that figure will be correct at the time of presenting the car for a VRT inspection.

Theres hardly any commercial vans on that. I checked. I was wondering why there was so little. Surely others have purchased them and paid vrt. Its useless.

They dont even have a fecking ford transit

From the VRT.ie website:

What are the different VRT vehicle categories?

There are 4 different categories of vehicle with respect to VRT, A, B, C & D.

VRT Category A
    Examples of Category A vehicles include cars (saloons, estates, hatchbacks, convertibles, coupes, MPVs, Jeeps etc.) and minibuses with less than 10 permanently fitted seats (including driver's seat). In EU terms, a vehicle of classification M1 is generally a Category A vehicle. The rate of tax chargeable is based on the level of CO2 emissions for the vehicle at the time of manufacture.

VRT Category B
    A Category B vehicle is a certain type of a car-derived van or a jeep-derived van. In EU terms, a vehicle of classification N1 is generally a Category B vehicle. Since January 2011 motor caravans and commercial vehicles not exceeding 3.5 tonnes fit into this category.
    M1 or N1 vehicles that have been modified or converted post manufacture, to have less than four seats and have a technically permissible maximum laden mass weight that is greater than 130 per cent of the mass in service of the vehicle with body are category B.
    The rate of VRT applicable to Category B vehicles, subject to a minimum VRT of €125, is 13.3% of the Open Market Selling Price (OMSP).

VRT Category C
    A Category C vehicle is a commercial vehicle, an agricultural tractor or a bus with a minimum of 10 seats including the driver's seat. In EU terms, Category C vehicles include N2 vehicles (over 3.5 tonnes and under 12 tonnes in weight), N3 vehicles (over 12 tonnes in weight), M2 vehicles (under 5 tonnes in weight, with a minimum of 10 seats including the driver's seat) and M3 vehicles (over 5 tonnes in weight, with a minimum of 10 seats including the driver's seat).
    N1 vehicles that, at the time of manufacture, have less than four seats and have a technically permissible maximum laden mass weight that is greater than 130 per cent of the mass in service of the vehicle with bodywork in running order also fit into this category.
    T1 to T5 agricultural vehicles fit into this category.
    The VRT rate applicable to Category C vehicles is a flat rate of €200.

VRT Category D
    Examples of Category D vehicles include ambulances, fire engines, vehicles used in the transportation of road construction machinery. The use to which a vehicle is put is also considered when a vehicle is being classified for VRT purposes as Category D. There is no VRT payable on a Category D vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

Just a quick question it has probably been asked and answered before but its not showing up in a search on the thread.

If one was to buy privately in the UK. Has the seller to do anything extra out of the ordinary when doing the change of ownership?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    Just a quick question it has probably been asked and answered before but its not showing up in a search on the thread.

If one was to buy privately in the UK. Has the seller to do anything extra out of the ordinary when doing the change of ownership?

Its not a change of ownership if you are exporting it back here, you must get the full VC5 certificate off them to register/VRT it here. Technically I think you the buyer are supposed to then send off the V5C/4 section "Notification of Permanent Export" to the UK DVLA, but the seller will probably want confirmation of this or to see it being posted (I bought off a UK dealer recently and they just sent it off for me).

If they don't believe you direct them to this webpage, if the owner sends the VC5 off as a change of ownership you'll struggle to get it back from the DVLA in the 30 day window revenue give you to register.
    https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk/for-12-months-or-more

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement