Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

marco_polo wrote: »
    Its not a change of ownership if you are exporting it back here, you must get the full VC5 certificate off them to register/VRT it here. Technically I think you the buyer are supposed to then send off the V5C/4 section "Notification of Permanent Export" to the UK DVLA, but the seller will probably want confirmation of this or to see it being posted (I bought off a UK dealer recently and they just sent it off for me).

If they don't believe you direct them to this webpage.
    https://www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk/for-12-months-or-more

So the easiest way to do it would be for me to fill it out and post it off on the spot?

Thanks for the quick reply.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

LawlessBoy wrote: »
    So the easiest way to do it would be for me to fill it out and post it off on the spot?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Exactly, I'd imagine the seller would want some assurance that the DVLA has been notified of its export (I would anyway), so definitely the easiest thing is to post it there and then together.

Well wear if you go ahead with the deal :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LawlessBoy

marco_polo wrote: »
    Exactly, I'd imagine the seller would want some assurance that the DVLA has been notified of its export (I would anyway), so definitely the easiest thing is to post it there and then together.

Well wear if you go ahead with the deal :).

Great thanks for the advice.

Its not set in stone yet but it is looking like it. The savings are there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I have a VRT booking for next week for a car I bought privately up the North. I have the full Reg Certificate from the previous owner. They have not filled out the V5C/4 from stating it was exported.

Do I need to get this done before my VRT appointment next week. Also do I need to receive anything from the DVA to produce to the VRT NCT centre for the booking?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

You are good to go. Nothing needed from DVLA other than the full V5C which you already have. Nothing needs to be done by the previous owner either as far as you are concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 HCS

Hi,

I've been living in London for 4 years and am moving back to Ireland at the end of June. I've just bought a car but am wondering if is there any way I can avoid paying the VRT when I export the car to Ireland as I have been legitimately living and working in London since 2012. I'll have a car parking space for a couple of months in London after I leave if that would help the situation with the car insured this week....

I have loads of utility bills, council tax bills, work pay slips etc from London for the last few years. Technically I'll still even have the lease of apartment and paying rent until next December as some friends are living in an apartment under my name with all rent going through my account.

I know I should have bought the car a few months ago but I thought I would be here in London a bit longer to give it the full 6 months in London before exporting

Any advice would be greatly appreciated....thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nope, those are the Revenue rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

HCS wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been living in London for 4 years and am moving back to Ireland at the end of June. I've just bought a car but am wondering if is there any way I can avoid paying the VRT when I export the car to Ireland as I have been legitimately living and working in London since 2012. I'll have a car parking space for a couple of months in London after I leave if that would help the situation with the car insured this week....

I have loads of utility bills, council tax bills, work pay slips etc from London for the last few years. Technically I'll still even have the lease of apartment and paying rent until next December as some friends are living in an apartment under my name with all rent going through my account.

I know I should have bought the car a few months ago but I thought I would be here in London a bit longer to give it the full 6 months in London before exporting

You have to own the car for 6 months or more. You should be ok if you leave it for the few extra months in London. Think it's only €50 to vrt your car then. You can't sell it for 1 year after😁

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

masit wrote: »
    You have to own the car for 6 months or more. You should be ok if you leave it for the few extra months in London. Think it's only €50 to vrt your car then. You can't sell it for 1 year afterðŸ˜
    If only.... :rolleyes:

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Esel....If Only what?

6 Months insurance and ownership...just because I won't have a job for the final few months of the term...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

HCS wrote: »
    Esel....If Only what?

6 Months insurance and ownership...just because I won't have a job for the final few months of the term...
    If only it was as easy as the poster I quoted said.

For one thing, you will have to give your PPS No. You will more than likely be quizzed about the absence of recent UK payslips. Mileage on the car may be queried. The fact that you are applying for exemption just after the minimum ownership period may make them dig further. Travel records may be checked. They have seen it all before. Not trying to burst your bubble here, btw.

Transfer of Residence exemption is not granted lightly. Have *all* your ducks in a row.

Research *all* the regulations and detailed requirements on www.revenue.ie

Not your ornery onager

Harcrid wrote: »
    You are good to go. Nothing needed from DVLA other than the full V5C which you already have. Nothing needs to be done by the previous owner either as far as you are concerned.

So the permanent export part of the form does not have to be filled out by the previous owner?

Who notifies the DVLA that the car has left the UK then?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

You're supposed to fill out the V5C/4 section yourself (not the seller) and send it to the DVLA.

You're supposed to fill out the V5C/4 section yourself (not the seller) and send it to the DVLA.

My reading of this is that if he Registered owner of the vehicle in UK is moving the car abroad they've to sign it and return it.

I'm not the registered owner in the UK as I don't have an address there. I have a blank vehicle licensing cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Pfinn07

My reading of this is that if he Registered owner of the vehicle in UK is moving the car abroad they've to sign it and return it.

I'm not the registered owner in the UK as I don't have an address there. I have a blank vehicle licensing cert.

I have just bought a car privately from the UK and had the VRT done Monday without any issue.
    Thanks to some good advice on here regarding the V5 I had contacted revenue here and a very nice and helpful lady had advised me to obtain the complete V5 as some issues had arisen with previous cases.
    The guy I bought the car from was very diligent and had contacted the DVLA directly himself as it was his first time selling privately also, they gave him very specific details regarding the V5 and we completed the change of owner section along with a separate printout which we both signed declaring that the vehicle was being sold for export, he took a photocopy of the V5 and gave me the complete original along with a contract of sale stating the selling price which VRT also required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Peig Sayers

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2014-Fiat-500L-1-3-Multijet-85-Trekking-5dr-157791737

Not too many of them for sale in Dublin in my price range :o.

The garage have said that they think the VRT would be approximately €2,760. I've never bought a car from the North before and don't know the first thing about it.

Would they be right about this VRT price?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2014-Fiat-500L-1-3-Multijet-85-Trekking-5dr-157791737

Not too many of them for sale in Dublin in my price range :o.

The garage have said that they think the VRT would be approximately €2,760. I've never bought a car from the North before and don't know the first thing about it.

Would they be right about this VRT price?

You can check yourself here.

http://www.motorcheck.ie/

JonnyM wrote: »
    You can check yourself here.

http://www.motorcheck.ie/

It's a U.K. car and my query is about VRT :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

It's a U.K. car and my query is about VRT :confused:

http://www.motorcheck.ie/blog/vrt-calculator/#

• Advertisement

€2,730 according to revenue. Are there any hidden charges on top of this? Do I have to buy new plates?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 hell4leather

So what would be the best way to get the exact VRT quote as I am looking at qashqai's in uk. Great savings it appears even with the vrt and the Euro is good against the pound. Just don't want to be caught out with VRT. On the revenue website there is over 5 acenta trim options on the VRT calculator and all of them give a different quote. Can I ring revenue and give them the reg no?? Not sure about motorcheck. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

€2,730 according to revenue. Are there any hidden charges on top of this? Do I have to buy new plates?

Yeah you have to buy plates, they offer to sell you them when you do the VRT but they won't fit them for you. I got my plates somewhere else and fitted them myself it was €5 or €10 cheaper.

That should be the only hidden charge outside of whatever costs you have getting the car

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Revenue's VRT calculator is a rough estimate, it is not a written in stone figure and changes all the time. You need to check the figure again around the time you are buying, to give you a more realistic idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 baz-

can anybody tell me,whats the story with importing a 7 seater discovery and converting it to crewcab here.
    or how do i go about vrting it,
    any advice greatfully accepted
    asked a local man,and he sort of said its not just as easy as it was,and it may not work,and could be liable for the full vrt.
    anybody know how id approach it
    i even thought of bringing it in as a commercial and converting it back to a crewcab on a later date. or can this be done?

reason for this is its my friend thats selling the discovery and i know the jeep this few years and im getting a good deal,
    i can buy a second hand one here in 5 seater format but theres a big price difference

thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Can anyone recommend a UK dealership from expierience.

Looking at buying a Ford S-Max Circa 2013. There is a serious shortage in supply in Ireland of these atm. Looking for reputable dealers with a large selection, decent customer service and and within reach of airports. Anyone with expierience who could share recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

muletide wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a UK dealership from expierience.

Looking at buying a Ford S-Max Circa 2013. There is a serious shortage in supply in Ireland of these atm. Looking for reputable dealers with a large selection, decent customer service and and within reach of airports. Anyone with expierience who could share recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
    I got my Galaxy from a Ford dealership in the North and was happy with the experience. It has since been taken over by http://www.trustford.co.uk/. I'm still on their mailing list since then and I understand from the marketing materials I see that the it's possible to purchase used vehicles from any of the their 50+ locations at a locations convenient to you (presumably there is an additional delivery charge involved).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

I got my Galaxy from a Ford dealership in the North and was happy with the experience. It has since been taken over by http://www.trustford.co.uk/. I'm still on their mailing list since then and I understand from the marketing materials I see that the it's possible to purchase used vehicles from any of the their 50+ locations at a locations convenient to you (presumably there is an additional delivery charge involved).

Thanks for the reply - will check them out

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sdmf14

Hi, I have my VRT inspection at 9am this Sunday, how long does it take to get it done ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

sdmf14 wrote: »
    Hi, I have my VRT inspection at 9am this Sunday, how long does it take to get it done ?
    With no queues I was in and out in 15 minutes the only time I did this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement