Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

Is there many places around the country that you can bring your car to for the VRT? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

JonnyM wrote: »
    Is there many places around the country that you can bring your car to for the VRT? ?

https://www.ncts.ie/1155

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

changed my car over last week

it cost me 7 euro more than the website told me

Took about 30 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭54and56

Guys,

Is there any way to find out what a particular years model sold for recently at BCA auction? I'm interested in 2012 and 2013 VW Touaregs and would love to know what the last 10 cars sold for so I have an idea what the going rate is before I head over.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

am hoping to bring in a 06 toyota dyna, on vrt calculator i cant see a dyna on the drop box, are commercial vehicles a flat rate or a % of OMV?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Flyer9

Great thread.
    Have read a good chunk of it and it has been very helpful in my recent search to buy a petrol 7 seater Toyota Verso from the UK (yes, I know, but I have my reasons!).

Anyhoo, have a question for all the helpful people on here.

It now looks like I may be buying from an official Toyota dealer and it will be what they call a "Toyota Approved Used Car".
    Also, the car is only 3 years old with 25k miles on the clock, and I asked for and got photos of the V5C logbook showing one former keeper and service log showing full dealer service history. It has two years remaining on the manufacturers warranty the dealer will do another service for the next owner.

So while I told the dealer I will be doing a RAC check, I'm thinking of skipping it.

Anyone think this is mad?

BTW, "Toyota Approved Used Car" means it includes certain checks through HPI/NMR or Experian/VMC and a certificate is supplied with the car covering these... this would be checks such as mileage verification, no finance outstanding, confirming never stolen, and never involved in a major accident.

It also means "Prior to sale, every Toyota Approved Used Car is subjected to a rigorous inspection by an approved technician working to a Toyota approved checklist. Any work necessary to bring the car up to the high standard required is carried out prior to being offered for sale. The inspection is mandatory on all vehicles that are prepared for sale under the Toyota Approved Used Car Programme"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

RAC check unnecessary in the above situation. Put your wallet away and relax.

Cheers Kotek Besar.

My only worry is, this means neither I or anyone on my behalf will have test drove the car, when I travel to pick her up.... just seems a bit mad!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭54and56

Guys,

Is there any way to find out what a particular years model sold for recently at BCA auction? I'm interested in 2012 and 2013 VW Touaregs and would love to know what the last 10 cars sold for so I have an idea what the going rate is before I head over.

^^^ I guess not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Flyer9 wrote: »
    Cheers Kotek Besar.

My only worry is, this means neither I or anyone on my behalf will have test drove the car, when I travel to pick her up.... just seems a bit mad!

Definitely if you were buying from a private seller or from a smaller dealership it would be mad, but when buying an Approved Used from a main dealer, especially Toyota, they check everything for you, provide a warranty and they won't risk their reputation if something goes wrong. Relax. You made a good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Flyer9 wrote: »
    BTW, "Toyota Approved Used Car" means it includes certain checks through HPI/NMR or Experian/VMC and a certificate is supplied with the car covering these... this would be checks such as mileage verification, no finance outstanding, confirming never stolen, and never involved in a major accident.

It also means "Prior to sale, every Toyota Approved Used Car is subjected to a rigorous inspection by an approved technician working to a Toyota approved checklist. Any work necessary to bring the car up to the high standard required is carried out prior to being offered for sale. The inspection is mandatory on all vehicles that are prepared for sale under the Toyota Approved Used Car Programme"
    I relied on the equivalent programme when buying an approved used Ford. I'm not saying it's always the right thing to do but I don't think it's reckless either.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭nightrave

Guys, I've been reading so much information. Can anyone confirm my steps?
    1. I've bought the car from UK
    2. I have a registration appointment at NCT
    3. I have a filled out Vehicle Purchase Details Form filled out
    4. I have a receipt from the Dealership in UK
    5. I have the ferry ticket to prove the date I came in
    6. I will do the NCT test and be able to pay the VRT at the centre and get the plates.

Am I correct or am I missing something?

6. I will do the NCT test and be able to pay the VRT at the centre and get the plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

It's been 2 years since I did it but that looks about right to me, only thing slightly off is the last step

You pay the VRT and get an Irish reg first, then you have to wait for the log book before you can get an NCT appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

nightrave wrote: »

#2 should be:

I have the V5C.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    #2 should be:

I have the V5C.

What if I don't have it? A friend of mine registered his a year ago without and I have no idea where to get it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Details for what you need for VRT inspection are here:

https://www.ncts.ie/1155

Basically what you need for privately importing a used UK vehicle is:
    • Completed VRTVPD2 form
    • V5C (UK registration certificate)
    • Invoice/receipt of sale of vehicle
    • Photo ID (driving licence, passport)
    • Proof of address (utility bill, etc.)
    • Proof of PPS no. (Social Services card or P60)
    • If it's some obscure vehicle not in their database, you may need to fill in the "Declaration Form for the Registration of a used Vehicle/Motorcycle"
    • If CO2 emissions are missing or deemed incorrect in the V5C, you'll need documentation confirming CO2 emissions of the vehicle at the time of manufacture (maybe some official letter from the manufacturer? Not sure)
    What if I don't have it? A friend of mine registered his a year ago without and I have no idea where to get it :(
    If you don't have the V5C you'll need some sort of proof of registration or proof of permanent export from the UK. When buying a vehicle in the UK for permanent export you're supposed to take the V5C with you (which is not standard procedure for buying within the UK). You may need to contact the DVLA in the UK to get something from them.

Details for what you need for VRT inspection are here:

If you don't have the V5C you'll need some sort of proof of registration or proof of permanent export from the UK. When buying a vehicle in the UK for permanent export you're supposed to take the V5C with you (which is not standard procedure for buying within the UK). You may need to contact the DVLA in the UK to get something from them.

Checked the papers and turns out I've a part of V5C. The one that contains New keepers Details and notification of permanent export. Would this suffice?

Also, would I be correct in assuming the VRT registration at NCT center will not include the NCT and I have to do an NCT afterwards, but I can't schedule an NCT until I have taxed the vehicle and have Irish reg numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

VRT inspection and NCT test are two different things and need to be booked separately. You cannot book the NCT until VRT is paid and Irish registration is completed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Checked the papers and turns out I've a part of V5C. The one that contains New keepers Details and notification of permanent export. Would this suffice?

No, I believe you need the complete first page of the V5C.

Also, would I be correct in assuming the VRT registration at NCT center will not include the NCT and I have to do an NCT afterwards, but I can't schedule an NCT until I have taxed the vehicle and have Irish reg numbers?

See https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-a-certificate-of-permanent-export

Pretty sure you need this cert when you don't have the V5C.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    See https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-a-certificate-of-permanent-export

Pretty sure you need this cert when you don't have the V5C.

:( My VRT is next week thursday and the cert will arrive within 4 weeks. Also my month where I need to register the car is running out. Will there be any penalties?

:( My VRT is next week thursday and the cert will arrive within 4 weeks. Also my month where I need to register the car is running out. Will there be any penalties?

Contact them and ask. They may well postpone your appointment. I would say they encounter your scenario regularly enough.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

And this is where it gets interesting for me. I have just moved back to Ireland after 20 years in the UK. I have brought over 2 cars - one I've had for nearly 5 years and the other for 8 months (replacing another car, I have a history of having 2 cars). Dublin seems to be the only district where you can't make an appointment with Revenue to show them documents for them to choose which prove that I've been overseas - in my case I haven't been working for 5 years and haven't a job lined up here. Equally I haven't been claiming social welfare so no government "proof". As a result I copy about 300 pages of documents showing that I have been in London all this time (focusing obvioulsy on the last few years). I drop it all off at the Tallaght office and thankfully the exemption certs have arrived today - took 10 days but that includes the bank holiday weekend.

I have a fair bit of experience dealing with Revenue authorities in lots of countries (including Ireland). This is the first piece of correspondence I think I have ever received without a taxpayer reference number (PPS etc). One of the things required on the NCTS form for VRT/registration is a document with my PPS number. I naively assumed that this would be the exemption certificate. I have registered for a PPS card but 3 weeks later it still hasn't arrived.

Anyone have any idea how sticky the NCTS people will be about PPS numbers?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭th hen

They won't process your vrt without pps number. At least they won't in Sligo whether a different office will is another matter but I would say it's standard practice in all vrt offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Best thing to do is go to your appointment. Had the same problem a few years back when the V5 was delayed in the post and I kept changing the date of the inspection. It went over the 30 days and I was fined the minimum fine because I did on present the car within the 30 days. If I had presented the car without the V5 I would have been just told to come back when I had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭masit

Drove to a VRT centre that was a good bit away from me because no other appointments in my local centre and their system was down. All the info was input , car inspected but when the guy came to get the vrt price the system crashed and would not come back. Now, the guy said that once the info was on their system, that the car was inspected all I need to do is call into my nearest vrt centre and they should be able to process it for me. Any body have this problem before and what are the chances of walking into the vrt centre and them processing it for me??

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bmcm71

Question about when to pay VRT. My ould fella is bringing in a CAT D next week. The car is driving but isn't roadworthy (lights broken, bumper off etc) so isn't road legal and I understand can't be VRT'd until it is. It's going to be a while before he has parts sourced and has it ready for road so what does he do about informing revenue etc. Will they look at the date on the invoice and say the car arrived in May and try and charge him penalties or can he inform them of the situation and they can defer his date for registration?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

bmcm71 wrote: »
    Question about when to pay VRT. My ould fella is bringing in a CAT D next week. The car is driving but isn't roadworthy (lights broken, bumper off etc) so isn't road legal and I understand can't be VRT'd until it is. It's going to be a while before he has parts sourced and has it ready for road so what does he do about informing revenue etc. Will they look at the date on the invoice and say the car arrived in May and try and charge him penalties or can he inform them of the situation and they can defer his date for registration?

There's no exclusion for it not being roadworthy, the question is whether it is "capable of propulsion" is drivable. If it isn't then get a mechanic or similar to write you out a note stating that and present it when he's fixed it up. Not sure how easy they would be with it. I suspect they know that Cat D is generally unrelated to the working of the car.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement