Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭54and56

I'm looking to bring in a 2013 VW Toaureg Altitude or R Line.

Budget is €38,000 inc VRT and costs to get over and back to the UK etc. (I can buy this 2012 model for €33,900 - http://www.gerrycumiskeydublin.ie/viewanad.php?ad_id=1503774

VRT on a 2013 is circa €13,400 which means I'd need to be able to buy and get home the car for €24,600/£19,400 but I can't see any 2013 Altitudes for less than £22,000 on https://www.cargiant.co.uk.

If anyone has experience buying at http://www.british-car-auctions.co.uk can you give me a steer on how selling prices compare to the retail prices of car supermarkets like CarGiant? Are they typically 10% or 20% cheaper than buying from a dealer? Would it be worth my while going to an auction rather than buying from a used dealer? I don't see much value in buying from a dealer when I'll be exporting the car to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

On a good day you can get a good deal on a bad day you can pay over the odd's.All it take's is one person bidding against you.Dealer's have there book price and stick to that because there at auction's every day,So the can wait until one comes up at that price.Often seen the same type car in the morning going for less than one in the afternoon with higher mileage and lower spec because you have 2 bidding for it.
    Another thing is have your max price set,As once bidding starts on a car it's sold in 15 to 20 seconds.

mgn wrote: »
    On a good day you can get a good deal on a bad day you can pay over the odd's.All it take's is one person bidding against you.Dealer's have there book price and stick to that because there at auction's every day,So the can wait until one comes up at that price.Often seen the same type car in the morning going for less than one in the afternoon with higher mileage and lower spec because you have 2 bidding for it.
    Another thing is have your max price set,As once bidding starts on a car it's sold in 15 to 20 seconds.

Good advice MGN, appreciate it.

I don't like doing anything under prepared and given I am focused on a specific model and year I'm confident I'd know the max price I'd pay per car I was interested in. The big knowledge gap I have is what prices have 2013 VW Touareg's been selling for at auction recently. I'd really like to know that before I invested the time and effort of going. If what they're fetching at auction + travel and time off + VRT is similar to what I can buy off a forecourt here I'm better off buying here.

I like the idea of going and buying at auction but I need to know if I do I've a good shot at saving a reasonable amount of money Vs buying here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Good advice MGN, appreciate it.

I don't like doing anything under prepared and given I am focused on a specific model and year I'm confident I'd know the max price I'd pay per car I was interested in. The big knowledge gap I have is what prices have 2013 VW Touareg's been selling for at auction recently. I'd really like to know that before I invested the time and effort of going. If what they're fetching at auction + travel and time off + VRT is similar to what I can buy off a forecourt here I'm better off buying here.

I like the idea of going and buying at auction but I need to know if I do I've a good shot at saving a reasonable amount of money Vs buying here.

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

I went to pay Vrt on 2014 a4 technic and was told that they need to get a manual valuation .. 😡😡. Is this normal ??, lady seemed a little unsure of herself . Looks like they might be looking for more money ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

jimmyging wrote: »
    I went to pay Vrt on 2014 a4 technic and was told that they need to get a manual valuation .. 😡😡. Is this normal ??, lady seemed a little unsure of herself . Looks like they might be looking for more money ..
    Think it may be due to the 'newness' of the car. They probably want to see extras etc.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If the car is not on their database then they have to contact Revenue who will come back with a figure after about a week or two. Happens quite a bit if something is an odd spec, a bit surprised that an A4 would not be on their database though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

jimmyging wrote: »

It's normal if it's under 2 years old. What's the date of first registration?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Has the exchange gone bad again? I've been looking at a few and the exchange isnt as good as it has been.

It will fluctuate until the Brexit referendum is settled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Paul_798

I've got an existing Irish vehicle and the insurance is up and I'm disposing of the car and buying a car in the North.

I've imported before and had no issue with transferring my insurance to an import with a UK reg temporarily while importing.

However I'm now finding that insurance companies won;t cover an import on a new policy but insist on having an Irish reg to start the cover. Also I was told that even if I renewed with my existing vehicle they won't cover a change to an import in the first 30 days of the policy.

I've already committed to buying the Car in the north next week.

Any suggestions/ advice ?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dark and Long

Paul_798 wrote: »
    I've got an existing Irish vehicle and the insurance is up and I'm disposing of the car and buying a car in the North.

I've imported before and had no issue with transferring my insurance to an import with a UK reg temporarily while importing.

However I'm now finding that insurance companies won;t cover an import on a new policy but insist on having an Irish reg to start the cover. Also I was told that even if I renewed with my existing vehicle they won't cover a change to an import in the first 30 days of the policy.

I've already committed to buying the Car in the north next week.

Any suggestions/ advice ?

I'm in the middle of transfering my car from North to South and I had no trouble getting insured on the Northern plates until the registration is complete, I am insured with First Ireland, they did say to me that a lot of insurance companies have issue with the Northern plates but that they don't have a problem, so maybe try them. They were also by far my cheapest quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I had no trouble temporarily insuring an NI registered car with FBD, although this was not with a new policy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I had no trouble temporarily insuring an NI registered car with FBD, although this was not with a new policy.

Ditto Axa. They did charge a 20 Euro admin fee for the privilege though.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

Chaps, 1st time potential auction buyer across the water.

Is there an agent out there that will source a car im looking for and ship it home, im too green to try it myself.
    I'd imagine €500 max on top of the price of the car would do all?

If you're not confident enough to buy a car from an auction yourself then how would you trust a stranger to buy a car for you that you won't see until it arrives here off the ferry? Are you going to pay this stranger up front because I cannot see them buying the car with their own money, bringing it over on the ferry only for you to say it's not what you really wanted or it's not as tidy as you were told it would be.

Also I'd imagine someone willing to spend their time going to auctions and ship a car back here would want a bit more than €500 for the effort.

royaler83 wrote: »
    Chaps, 1st time potential auction buyer across the water.

Is there an agent out there that will source a car im looking for and ship it home, im too green to try it myself.
    I'd imagine €500 max on top of the price of the car would do all?

A mechanic pal of mine who buys online from BCA from time to time for friends and family told me it costs him €400 to have a car collected and shipped home. On top of that outlay he then has to research, short-list, bid for and take care of the paperwork. If he was doing it commercially I'd imagine he'd want at least €500 for his own time and effort plus the cost of shipping the car home so +/- €1,000 if you weren't DIY'ing it.

If you do DIY it I'd imagine you'd easily spend €100 on a flight over, €100 there on taxi's, food etc and then the ferry home which would be at least another €150. +/- €350 plus a day of your own time if you DIY it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 MBIreland

Looking at importing from the UK, have found a car in a dealership and everything looks ok. My parents who live fairly close are going to inspect it tomorrow morning. Obviously will get an AA inspection done before parting with any cash.

I have a small number of questions that hopefully somebody can help me with:

1. The tax on the car in UK has expired, the dealer is willing to put tax on for 12 months, however I only need tax for 1 day. If I am driving the car directly to Rosslare to import into Ireland, does the car require tax (I presume it does) and if so what is the smallest time period tax can be bought for?

2. The car is priced at €7,500, I would hope to get something knocked off that price obviously. However does anyone know how much that will cost in Euros, using xe.com gives me an idea, however what will the banks charge if for example I transferred the money to my parents or obtained a sterling draft?

3. The car engine type isn't listed on the VRT site, the 1.4 litre is but not the 1.2. The 1.2 has smaller emissions so am I safe to assume that the VRT will be smaller on the 1.2. I've tried to find a phone number to ring to ask, however cannot find one.

Thanks for the thread and those who have added to it, an encyclopaedia of knowledge as always!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

MBIreland wrote: »
    Looking at importing from the UK, have found a car in a dealership and everything looks ok. My parents who live fairly close are going to inspect it tomorrow morning. Obviously will get an AA inspection done before parting with any cash.

I have a small number of questions that hopefully somebody can help me with:

1. The tax on the car in UK has expired, the dealer is willing to put tax on for 12 months, however I only need tax for 1 day. If I am driving the car directly to Rosslare to import into Ireland, does the car require tax (I presume it does) and if so what is the smallest time period tax can be bought for?

2. The car is priced at 7,500, I would hope to get something knocked off that price obviously. However does anyone know how much that will cost in Euros, using xe.com gives me an idea, however what will the banks charge if for example I transferred the money to my parents or obtained a sterling draft?

3. The car engine type isn't listed on the VRT site, the 1.4 litre is but not the 1.2. The 1.2 has smaller emissions so am I safe to assume that the VRT will be smaller on the 1.2. I've tried to find a phone number to ring to ask, however cannot find one.

Thanks for the thread and those who have added to it, an encyclopaedia of knowledge as always!!!

1. 12 months, but 11 can be refunded

2. 7,500 euros is 7,500 euros. Currency fair to parents account is easiest and cheapest.

3. Should be cheaper unless it's somehow worth more in revenues eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Dupe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

1. 12 months, but 11 can be refunded

2. 7,500 euros is 7,500 euros. Currency fair to parents account is easiest and cheapest.

3. Should be cheaper unless it's somehow worth more in revenues eyes.

1. Dealer cannot now tax the car for you. Any current tax expires at change of owner. Onus is on new owner to have tax on the car. Recent change in the law.

Not your ornery onager

Thanks for all the very helpful replies, I should have said that the car is just under 7,500 sterling, how much would that be in euros through a bank transfer. It's about 9,750 according to Xe.com but don't expect banks to offer those rates with charges etc.

Many thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

I am looking at buying a 2013 1.7 astra off one of the car supermarkets.

First I will get the AA or the RSA to look at the car for me. I understand this will cost me circa 200 stg

If they give it the all clear I will then arrange for some one to put it on the ferry, this will cost 400 stg. Alternatively I may travel over myself to pick it up and bring it home.

Am I dreaming or is what I am proposing doable

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

I definitely think you should go over and bring it home yourself, 1 to see the car in person (bodywork, any slight dents, scuffs, interior, etc) but also it might save you some money. Flying to a regional airport with Ryanair or Aer Lingus (€100), ferry back (120-180 sterling) food and fuel you'd still probably save a few euro, and also have the opportunity to test drive and see the car. For that car you're looking at approx 6,500-7,000 Sterling (Depending on whether it is the SRi Spec or not but I would say if from a car supermarket price is probably 7000-7500 sterling?), a lot of money to pay without physically seeing the car and test driving it, irrelevant of having a report, and also running the Reg Number into the MOT History Checker. Have you driven one? I drove one for a week before, and it was a really lovely car to drive but that's just me. VRT on top will be approx 2500, (Priced a 2012 with 99 g carbon emissions and was just over €2000, think it was €2018 VRT, this was the SRi Spec with the sports cloth seats, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

where is cheaper to buy from a car supermarket or a main dealer.

sometimes on the supermarket websites i have seen a 1.7 astra 2013 for less than 6 stg. add the coversion and vrt and u have car for less than 10 k euro. pay transport on to of this. wht so cheap

Your comparing apples and oranges regarding supermarket prices v main dealer prices. Its a bit like comparing airline economy class ticket prices to business class ticket prices. Some people just want to get to their destination in the cheapest possible way while others will happily pay more if they think they get a level of comfort and service.

A car supermarket buys most of their stock directly from big leasing companies, they buy in bulk and sell them on straight away at rock bottom prices. However they spend little or no money on preparing them for resale. For example they will offer to valet or fix other things you spot at an extra price. They will also try to up sell you a warranty at an additional cost. Also the supermarket price is non negotiable and doesn't include the normal paperwork fee of £100 or more.

A main dealer will offer you more in the way of the buyer experience, they will prepare the car properly for resale, tidy up any bodywork blemishes, valet it, service it and give a warranty. All this still costs a dealer money so is just included in the selling price.

Just remember that the cheapest car doesn't always mean it offers the best value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Thinking of buying a VW golf 1.4 petrol or 1.6 Diesel 2012 or so...is there much of a saving or has sterling made it not worthwhile.

hurler32 wrote: »
    Thinking of buying a VW golf 1.4 petrol or 1.6 Diesel 2012 or so...is there much of a saving or has sterling made it not worthwhile.
    Have a look at auto trader.co.uk or usedcarsni.com and check out the prices. I would be surprised if you don't find a big saving out there if of course you are prepared to do the few bits extra required to make it happen. No harm looking either way and you might be able to use the info when dealing with a garage here to get a few extra Euro off the asking price.

I've just bought a Renault Scenic up in Belfast, collecting on Thursday.

I now need to pay the VRT and book an NCT, however the next test in Dublin is Friday 16th. I am going to call in the morning and hopefully get a cancellation or otherwise.

Quick question, if we have the proof of the NCT booking, will that cover us if we are stopped by the Gards?

• Advertisement

Yes. You have 30 days from the date of bringing the car into the country to complete the entire registration process.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement