Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

stek wrote: »
    Was thinking of buying a car on motorpoint.co.uk and the guy told me 'management made a decision 2 weeks ago to Not sell cars for export, therefore I cannot but the car'!..
    Is this to be the case for all UK dealers?

There is already a thread here discussing it:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057619069

Just move on and buy from someone else. They will soon realise their silliness and the lucrative market they are turning their nose up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Looking at buying a Kia ceed over in the UK next week. Even with VRT I should still be making a saving of 2-4 thousand. I have put in the details into the vrt calculator and got a quote of €2200. It gives me the option of printing this off. Is this the price I will pay to register the vehicle then or is there a chance I will get a nasty surprise when I go to the VRO?
    In a way im a little annoyed with myself for looking at the price of cars in the UK as now everything feels overpriced here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Looking at buying a Kia ceed over in the UK next week. Even with VRT I should still be making a saving of 2-4 thousand. I have put in the details into the vrt calculator and got a quote of €2200. It gives me the option of printing this off. Is this the price I will pay to register the vehicle then or is there a chance I will get a nasty surprise when I go to the VRO?
    In a way im a little annoyed with myself for looking at the price of cars in the UK as now everything feels overpriced here in Ireland.

It is possible that you could arrive and get a different price this will happen if they decide to alter the OMSP of your car. I cant find a link right now but I remember when I was doing it last they said that the price you get on the VRT calculator is only guaranteed for that day.

In reality I doubt it will fluctuate that much.

Also I know that many people here have suggested that it's worth arguing your case that the OMSP is too high, I don't know anything about this as I haven't done this before. But if anyone has any info it'd be much appreciated as I'm hoping to bring in a car soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

If the model you chose in the VRT calculator is exactly the same as the model you are buying then most likely the VRT payment wont change. But sometimes the VRT process can be a bit funny and no one can tell you 100% if it will change or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭bennya

Make sure you supply an accurate month as well as year of first registration - mine went up €600 because I'd assumed a January 2012 date instead of the November 2012 reg date that actually applied.

Once the correct details were input into the Revenue calculator, the estimate was exactly what I had to pay at the centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭The lips

As the new car registration months in the UK are March and August.

Would I be better to wait until late August to buy in the UK?

The forecourts should be full of freshly traded in models.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

March and September, not August. You could wait until the middle or the end of September but you may not save much money

Thanks for clarifying the date Pete.

I was thinking there would be a broader choice of models/spec etc.

More chance of getting the spec I am after

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mbc100

I have done a lot of research on importing a car from the North/UK and found the information on this forum really useful, so thanks to all.

I am shortly planning on buying a 2012-2014 WV Polo or Golf in the North., and only considering buying from an authorised VW dealer, who will give a year's warranlty. I am expecting the dealer to supply HPI history checks and full service history of the car. I will be inspecting all documents in detail to ensure that everything adds up. however if there is any doubt I will get these done independently myself. From talking to VW dealers in the republic, they carry out these checks as standard.

I will also do a thorough visual inspection of the car myself and have put together a check-list of what to look out for. What I am wondering is whether people think it still necessary to get a RAC/AA inspection done, given the dealer's warranty and my inspection of all documentation ? If I was buying this car from an authorised VW dealer in the Republic, I don't think I would get this done.

The Northern Ireland VW dealer warranty is only good to you if it is practical for you to get the car back up to them. If you live in the south of this country then it maybe tasking getting the car back up to the North especially if the car is not running for whatever reason.

BTW what dealer are buying off of in the North? I dealt with Agnew in Belfast a few years ago and found them very good to deal with despite not buying the car from them.

• Advertisement

Yes. it is Agnew in Belfast that I am looking at.

Regards the VW Warranty, I have checked with them and they can't supply the Das WeltAuto warranty to cars exported to the Republic but they do supply their own 12 month warranty. There is also 12 months roadside assistance which covers the UK and Europe. I probably would be able to use this warranty as am based in Dublin, though it would be less convenient than a local VW garage. I suppose the main point of getting an independent check done is if you wouldn't be in a position to call on a warranty if needed, especially if importing from UK.

An inspection can be a worthwhile investment but don't be under the illusion that an inspection when buying a car means you will not need to use a warranty afterwards. A lot can happen with a car after the day it is inspected or bought. If are prepared to get the car back to Belfast for a warranty issue then it's obviously better than buying a car without a warranty.

Just note from experience that if you buy a used VW from the UK with a used VW dealer warranty VW Ireland will not honour it. VW UK and VW Ireland are separate entities.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PL710

I'm thinking of going to the UK to buy a 13 or 14 toyota hilux . I'm wondering is the vrt on a hilux commercial (50 or 100 euro) or is it the same as cars .

bazz26 wrote: »
    An inspection can be a worthwhile investment but don't be under the illusion that an inspection when buying a car means you will not need to use a warranty afterwards. A lot can happen with a car after the day it is inspected or bought. If are prepared to get the car back to Belfast for a warranty issue then it's obviously better than buying a car without a warranty.

Just note from experience that if you buy a used VW from the UK with a used VW dealer warranty VW Ireland will not honour it. VW UK and VW Ireland are separate entities.

Thanks, would anyone know if warranties with other big names e.g. Toyota, Skoda, Honda or any others are more transferrable between the UK and Ireland ?

Has anyone ever brought in a car that doesn't appear on the Vrt calculator?

I'm looking at a few different cars and one of the ones I'm interested in, a golf, is not on the calculator. There are other golf's with similar engines but not the exact model, spec or emissions. I also haven't been able to find one of these models for sale in Ireland to try and figure out what the OMSP would be

If anyone has done this I'd love to hear your experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

b.gud wrote: »
    Has anyone ever brought in a car that doesn't appear on the Vrt calculator?

I'm looking at a few different cars and one of the ones I'm interested in, a golf, is not on the calculator. There are other golf's with similar engines but not the exact model, spec or emissions. I also haven't been able to find one of these models for sale in Ireland to try and figure out what the OMSP would be

If anyone has done this I'd love to hear your experiences.

Try this if you have Reg.http://www.motorcheck.ie/blog/vrt-calculator/

mgn wrote: »

Thanks for that, the description that Vrt have wasn't what I was expecting but the details seem right

mbc100 wrote: »
    Thanks, would anyone know if warranties with other big names e.g. Toyota, Skoda, Honda or any others are more transferrable between the UK and Ireland ?

You seem to be confusing a used dealer warranty with the manufacturer's warranty.

A manufacturer's warranty that came with the car from new can be transferable between countries but it depends on how the warranty is structured. For example up to 2012 VWs sold in the UK came with a 3 year warranty whereas here it was 2 years. The first 2 years of the UK warranty were the manufacturer's warranty which would be honoured by VW anywhere in Europe under EU directive. However the 3rd year of the warranty was given by VW UK only so only UK VW dealers honoured it. I had a 2011 VW that came from the UK and in the third year I needed warranty work done on it so had to bring it Belfast to be done. VW Ireland didn't want anything to do with it. Things may have changed now since VW give a 3 year warranty in Ireland these days too.

A used dealer warranty in most cases is only honoured by the the dealer who sells you the car. Some main dealer used car warranties are nation wide so any main dealer of the same brand will honour it but this may only apply in the country where the car was bought. For example a NI UK dealer used car warranty may be honoured in any VW dealer in NI. ROI VW dealers will not recognise it though. Other brands might be different and you would have to check with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭darg

Anyone know how to get the best exchange rate on a 15k sterling purchase. I presume the likes of the revolut mastercard wont work for a transaction of this amount

Probably better contacting some currency brokers and see what sort of deal they can do you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Knock Off Nigel

anyone ever use PTSB visa debit card to buy a car in the uk? what fees do they charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

anyone ever use PTSB visa debit card to buy a car in the uk? what fees do they charge?

considering the fees they charged for Kroner in Sweden lately, avoid!!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Knock Off Nigel

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    considering the fees they charged for Kroner in Sweden lately, avoid!!

I've read the maximum you can be charged on a visa debit card is €11.80, just wanted to hear from someone that used ptsb visa debit card before I go over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

bazz26 wrote: »
    You seem to be confusing a used dealer warranty with the manufacturer's warranty.

A manufacturer's warranty that came with the car from new can be transferable between countries but it depends on how the warranty is structured. For example up to 2012 VWs sold in the UK came with a 3 year warranty whereas here it was 2 years. The first 2 years of the UK warranty were the manufacturer's warranty which would be honoured by VW anywhere in Europe under EU directive. However the 3rd year of the warranty was given by VW UK only so only UK VW dealers honoured it. I had a 2011 VW that came from the UK and in the third year I needed warranty work done on it so had to bring it Belfast to be done. VW Ireland didn't want anything to do with it. Things may have changed now since VW give a 3 year warranty in Ireland these days too.

A used dealer warranty in most cases is only honoured by the the dealer who sells you the car. Some main dealer used car warranties are nation wide so any main dealer of the same brand will honour it but this may only apply in the country where the car was bought. For example a NI UK dealer used car warranty may be honoured in any VW dealer in NI. ROI VW dealers will not recognise it though. Other brands might be different and you would have to check with them.
    Agree all this but note also that many UK used car dealers offer third party warranties, sometimes for an additional fee, sometimes the only warranty and included in price. I think CiniO had a Mapfre one from a CarGiant purchase and they were happy for an Irish mechanic to carry out the work.

Ptsb visa debit have a max of 1500 1st transaction and 2.5k 2nd transaction in one day.

Credit card or cash only way.

Marcusm wrote: »
    Agree all this but note also that many UK used car dealers offer third party warranties, sometimes for an additional fee, sometimes the only warranty and included in price. I think CiniO had a Mapfre one from a CarGiant purchase and they were happy for an Irish mechanic to carry out the work.

Of course but that doesn't apply to the poster I was replying to though, who is buying from a main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 p.sheridan

Hi. I just bought a new van(Citroen relay) up north. Vrt will be €200. My question relates to the vat. My invouce is in stg. Do they use a daily rate for converting or an average rate. I got a great rate on the sterling. On revenue website it gives an exchange rate for July of .76 which is stupid way off & for August .83 which is more realistic. Will I get the August rate if I go there in August or the July rate as the invoice is dated July ?? Any ideas. Thanks ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this question:

I'm considering buying a new car on the next few wks. Ive come across one that is on Northern plates but the ad says its originally an Irish car. How does that work? Would I have to pay VRT again?

You would if the car had a VRT refund when it was exported to the North.

• Advertisement

Would anyone know if there are any companies that would give temporary car insurance for a month or so?

I am planning on driving to NI in my current car, with a friend who is a named driver on my insurance. When i buy a new car in NI, I would like to be able to drive it back on the same day, with my friend driving my old car home.

How can I get temporary insurance for my new car whilst keeping my old car insured ? My existing insurance company will not insure another car for me and my broker said that they can only issue annual policies.

Any ideas on how to handle this ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement