Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think any company offers short term car insurance here.

Is there a particular reason you need to drive your existing car up North? Would it not make more sense to leave your existing car parked up at home and get a bus or train to the North when you're buying the new car?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

You could hire a car for a day or 2, but as others have said, why not get , bus or train, and taxi to place?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 mbc100

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    You could hire a car for a day or 2, but as others have said, why not get , bus or train, and taxi to place?

Yeah, that sounds like a plan.

bazz26 wrote: »
    I don't think any company offers short term car insurance here.

Is there a particular reason you need to drive your existing car up North? Would it not make more sense to leave your existing car parked up at home and get a bus or train to the North when you're buying the new car?

No, i dont need to drive my old car up. Just didn't realise temporary insurance was not possible. It looks like bus or train or hire car are the options open to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭al2009

If you have a policy with allianze they will provide 30 days cover at about 50 a week.

• Advertisement

Nearly €200 for 30 days seems mad especially for what the OP needs it for anyways.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

mbc100 wrote: »
    I am planning on driving to NI in my current car, with a friend who is a named driver on my insurance. When i buy a new car in NI, I would like to be able to drive it back on the same day, with my friend driving my old car home.

Be aware that the motor tax is cancelled on sale of the car and you need to tax the car in the north before you drive it. This would mean you have to have valid insurance. You can cancel it once home and get a refund on the unused portion, but you lose a month at least. This is particularly true if you buy from a garage as they do the transfer online.

Coming through North Wales you will get caught and fined - not sure about the North though. Depends on how many NPRC are deployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

How does the tax work for car that is £0 to tax?
    I assume there's nothing to pay but do you have to register the car for when you're driving it to the ferry?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

b.gud wrote: »
    How does the tax work for car that is £0 to tax?
    I assume there's nothing to pay but do you have to register the car for when you're driving it to the ferry?

You need to have valid insurance for one.

You need to have valid insurance for one.

So assuming I transfer over my Irish insurance I don't need to do anything with tax?

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »
    So assuming I transfer over my Irish insurance I don't need to do anything with tax?

No, you need to tax the vehicle - even if the tax is zero. You need the valid insurance to tax it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

mbc100 wrote: »
    No, i dont need to drive my old car up. Just didn't realise temporary insurance was not possible. It looks like bus or train or hire car are the options open to me.

if you can get a car trailer and your old car has a tow hitch at the back you could bring it back that way, or maybe the person your buying it from could organise it for you

Has anyone ever traded in their car when buying in the north?

If so what's the process? Is there a lot of paper work and did you get the money back for exporting the car?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sdmf14

Hi, can someone please tell me if I need a V5 document to complete the vrt process ? One of my friends went in without it and the process still went smooth.

I have a vrt next monday but dont have a v5 yet.

Thanks

sdmf14 wrote: »
    Hi, can someone please tell me if I need a V5 document to complete the vrt process ? One of my friends went in without it and the process still went smooth.

I have a vrt next monday but dont have a v5 yet.

Thanks

Listed here >> http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/vrt-guide.html#section2e

V5 registration document or certificate of permanent export seems to do. Did the UK owner fill in the permanent export section and send it to the DVLA?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sdmf14

Hi, the owner send the whole v5 to the dvla as a change of ownership. I have a feeling it wont arrive on time for my vrt...some said its possible to vrt without it

sdmf14 wrote: »
    Hi, the owner send the whole v5 to the dvla as a change of ownership. I have a feeling it wont arrive on time for my vrt...some said its possible to vrt without it

NCT centre will require either the V5 or Certificate of Permanent Export. Try contacting the DVLA yourself and check if they will issue you one but don't expect it to arrive by next Monday. From what I have heard it can take a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

Somewhere on Boards (maybe somewhere in this thread) someone had an alternate guide to the steps involved in importing the car.

I can't find that post even though I saw it a couple of days ago. Maybe 15-20 detailed steps of the process involved - much more up to date than the OP on this thread.

Anyone know what I'm referring to?

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Folks, looking to bring in car in the coming weeks and as it happens SERE in Northern Ireland have a model on my short list, I gave them a call and the sales person was very open, sourced from an auction house and outlined their own company will show up on a Finance check as this is the way they operate - only clearing finance on sale of car. Very open to pre-inspection and use of lift to inspect under carriage etc.
    Intend on getting a pre-inspection with RAC or DEKRA and then after pricing sorted out I'll likely drive it home myself.
    Likely selling my 09 S-Max privately thereafter.

My question, has anyone dealt with SERE or any other advice to offer.
    I have brought two cars in before, one when I moved back to Ireland so no VRT and the other a C-Max a few years back and both without issue.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Check done with HPI.co.uk and all clear, transport (should I go for it) quote of €150 to my door which ain't bad.

FX quotes got, best today is 0.8395 via hifx

RAC inspection next on the list

Anyone any feedback on SERE?

RAC comprehensive inspection £199, yikes!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

slave1 wrote: »
    RAC comprehensive inspection £199, yikes!

It's worth it though.

True, I have the previous owner's details now but cant trace her phone number, shame, I would really like to chat to previous owner whenever possible

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭2016

RootX wrote: »

Thanks.

Mods should link this to OP.

Be aware that the motor tax is cancelled on sale of the car and you need to tax the car in the north before you drive it. This would mean you have to have valid insurance. You can cancel it once home and get a refund on the unused portion, but you lose a month at least. This is particularly true if you buy from a garage as they do the transfer online.

Coming through North Wales you will get caught and fined - not sure about the North though. Depends on how many NPRC are deployed.

Has anyone taxed a car in the North, when exporting ? When I collect the car, I will be given the V5C/2 new keeper supplement (green slip). Looking at the 'UK - Taxing a Vehicle' website, I need a 12 char code to buy tax, which I understand will be on this document. Just wondering if i can buy tax online there and then, and I am then immediately covered to drive in the north, i.e i don't need to receive any documentation in the post. ? I will of course have insurance cover in place for the new car.

Don't you have to be a NI/UK resident to tax a car there?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Don't you have to be a NI/UK resident to tax a car there?

Not sure. Was thinking I might need tax while temporarily driving car in NI before heading south. In practise I imagine a lot of people exporting cars from NI don't bother.

I know in the mainland UK you need to be a UK resident to tax a car, I'd assume it's the same in NI or anywhere really. I'd say most ROI residents buying in NI just chance driving down with no tax. Not sure how the PSNI would see that though if pulled over.

• Advertisement

I've just made a NI purchase subject to RAC inspection, have a firm quote of €150 delivery to my door, not arsed about taking a risk of driving without tax and getting the car impounded however remote the risk, I would not do it here so why risk it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement