Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

slave1 wrote: »
    I've just made a NI purchase subject to RAC inspection, have a firm quote of €150 delivery to my door, not arsed about taking a risk of driving without tax and getting the car impounded however remote the risk, I would not do it here so why risk it

What dealer you go with?
    I've been looking that side for a new car

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Panthro wrote: »
    What dealer you go with?
    I've been looking that side for a new car

SERE, I can PM you the lad I've been dealing with, very straightforward so far but I'll wait until she lands before a proper review of the full experience

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    SERE, I can PM you the lad I've been dealing with, very straightforward so far but I'll wait until she lands before a proper review of the full experience

Just googled their website. No Fords within my price range!:o
    Thanks anyhow

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Thanks anyhow

From what I was looking at they were already very well priced, I got a 3% reduction after a few haggles but I was happy to buy at the advertised price being honest, it was the car I was after with the spec I can't get here.
    I did a deep search on the car and it turns out it's on a service plan so I'll have 2 years free servicing to look forward to, the dealer had no idea so a sweetener for me.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

What did you go for Slave1 that could not be speced here?

Must put these guys on my list for Seat pending your review of the car .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Offaly Exile

Thanks anyhow

Panthro, I have been looking at Focus' on line with this crowd in the North, you might find something ! http://www.usedcarsni.com/2013-Ford-Focus-1-0-EcoBoost-Zetec-5dr-WITH-BLUETOOTH-162493561

Panthro, I have been looking at Focus' on line with this crowd in the North, you might find something ! http://www.usedcarsni.com/2013-Ford-Focus-1-0-EcoBoost-Zetec-5dr-WITH-BLUETOOTH-162493561

Was on to them today about one of their cars.
    It had just been sold!
    Cheers for the heads up though!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Couple of quick questions to people in the know.
    Bought a car in the UK and have it back since yesterday. Went on to the NCt about booking a time for the VRT check. It can't be done until two weeks time. Does that mean I just drive the car as it is for the next two weeks, on an English reg?
    What do I do in regards to tax. It was free tax on the car in the UK so I have it taxed for the year there but obviously I can't tax it in the next two weeks.
    Is there anything in particular i need to bring to the NCT centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Once car is booked in you can drive away untill VRT is paid.You dont need tax while on UK plates.When you book it in the will give you list of things to bring with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

mgn wrote: »
    Once car is booked in you can drive away untill VRT is paid.You dont need tax while on UK plates.When you book it in the will give you list of things to bring with you.

Thank you MGN.
    Have it booked in for the 18th of his month

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Thank you MGN.
    Have it booked in for the 18th of his month

Last time I brought in a car I carried round loads of forms to prove that I had recently brought in the car and that I was in the middle VRT process just in case I got questioned. Never needed to use them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

mbc100 wrote: »
    Has anyone taxed a car in the North, when exporting ? When I collect the car, I will be given the V5C/2 new keeper supplement (green slip). Looking at the 'UK - Taxing a Vehicle' website, I need a 12 char code to buy tax, which I understand will be on this document. Just wondering if i can buy tax online there and then, and I am then immediately covered to drive in the north, i.e i don't need to receive any documentation in the post. ? I will of course have insurance cover in place for the new car.

Do not do it this way. You need to bring the main section of the V5 with you to re-register it. Tell them to check on the internet, it tells them exactly that this is what they should do. You have a world of pain re-regging it if you don't have the V5.

Get them to drive it to the border, you wont need to tax it then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

b.gud wrote: »
    Last time I brought in a car I carried round loads of forms to prove that I had recently brought in the car and that I was in the middle VRT process just in case I got questioned. Never needed to use them :)

If your stopped just show them the text message or e-mail you get when you book the car in for VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Couple of quick questions to people in the know.
    Bought a car in the UK and have it back since yesterday. Went on to the NCt about booking a time for the VRT check. It can't be done until two weeks time. Does that mean I just drive the car as it is for the next two weeks, on an English reg?
    What do I do in regards to tax. It was free tax on the car in the UK so I have it taxed for the year there but obviously I can't tax it in the next two weeks.
    Is there anything in particular i need to bring to the NCT centre?

Keep evidence of the VRT appointment with you in the event you are stopped. You cannot tax the car here until the VRT is paid and Irish registration number issued. UK tax has no bearing over here so doesn't matter whether it has it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Hi All,

Recently bought a car private in the uk, so have a few questions,

Can I vrt the car with just the new keeper supplement or do I need to wait until I get my new logbook?

As it was a private sale I don't have an invoice for the purchase, will I be ok without one?

Also foolishly I put down my uk address for the new ownership so I presume I'm going to be liable for tax in the uk?

You need the V5c section of the V5 registration document to VRT the car here. That or a certificate of permanent export from the DVLA.

Regarding purchase invoice, it's a silly rule they have as they have no way of chasing down the last seller to verify it. So you can do up an invoice yourself with the date of purchase and some of the people in the VRT office have been known to even provide pen and paper to do it. :D

I'm afraid I cannot answer your UK tax question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

bazz26 wrote: »
    You need the V5c section of the V5 registration document to VRT the car here. That or a certificate of permanent export from the DVLA.

Regarding purchase invoice, it's a silly rule they have as they have no way of chasing down the last seller to verify it. So you can do up an invoice yourself with the date of purchase and some of the people in the VRT office have been known to even provide pen and paper to do it. :D

I'm afraid I cannot answer your UK tax question.

All I have is the v5c/2, my appointment isn't until the 18th so I hope it will be with me by then.

I'll do some sort of invoice up myself for the proof of purchase ðŸ˜.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Folks, cant seem to find an answer to this one anywhere so I'll throw it to see if anyone can help! I'm picking up a car in the UK next week. I see from the hpi check that it's taxed until next may, when I check on the government website in the UK it's saying the same. I'm wondering if I need to tax it for the trip to the ferry? Also If I do, the dealer is telling me I can set up a direct debit online for tax and cancel it when I reach the ferry! Any ideas??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Salmon wrote: »
    Folks, cant seem to find an answer to this one anywhere so I'll throw it to see if anyone can help! I'm picking up a car in the UK next week. I see from the hpi check that it's taxed until next may, when I check on the government website in the UK it's saying the same. I'm wondering if I need to tax it for the trip to the ferry? Also If I do, the dealer is telling me I can set up a direct debit online for tax and cancel it when I reach the ferry! Any ideas??

You are required to tax the vehicle from when you purchase it. The existing tax is cancelled on sale and the previous owner can claim unused tax back. You are required to tax it for use on public roads. If you do not tax it and it is detected on the road they will fine you - and pursue you for it. If you are buying from a dealer, they do it on line straight away and North Wales is full of NPRC to detect you. When you get back you claim back unused tax (at least one month needs to be paid)

Be sure to get the whole V5C form before you leave. Do not let them send it off to Swansea - that is not the procedure for exports.

Cheers for that! I wasn't sure if I could tax it if I'm not a uk resident! Also when I do it online I won't have a physical disc, is this an issue?
    Finally, do I need to take the whole v5c, can the dealer have the export section (not sure what it's called)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Salmon wrote: »
    Cheers for that! I wasn't sure if I could tax it if I'm not a uk resident! Also when I do it online I won't have a physical disc, is this an issue?
    Finally, do I need to take the whole v5c, can the dealer have the export section (not sure what it's called)

They no longer issue discs.

The instructions are online and on the form (iirc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

I'm sure this question has probably been asked more than once already but I need to now with certainty what the position is. I'm thinking of buying a car in the UK that was first registered May 2008. At that time here, someone buying a new car had an option to tax it based on its engine size or based on its emissions. Would I have that same luxury when I got to tax this car or if not, which basis of assessment am I stuck with?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I'm sure this question has probably been asked more than once already but I need to now with certainty what the position is. I'm thinking of buying a car in the UK that was first registered May 2008. At that time here, someone buying a new car had an option to tax it based on its engine size or based on its emissions. Would I have that same luxury when I got to tax this car or if not, which basis of assessment am I stuck with?

1st July 2008 was change-over date - buy May 2008 and you pay on engine size

All used hand imports first registered from 1st Jan 2008 automatically go on the Co2 tax system when they are registered here.

You are required to tax the vehicle from when you purchase it. The existing tax is cancelled on sale and the previous owner can claim unused tax back. You are required to tax it for use on public roads. If you do not tax it and it is detected on the road they will fine you - and pursue you for it. If you are buying from a dealer, they do it on line straight away and North Wales is full of NPRC to detect you. When you get back you claim back unused tax (at least one month needs to be paid)

Be sure to get the whole V5C form before you leave. Do not let them send it off to Swansea - that is not the procedure for exports.

How does a non UK resident tax the car in the UK? And if how would they get a refund once it's brought back here?

Anyone ever go through the online tax process in the UK? What details are needed? Any advice?

1st July 2008 was change-over date - buy May 2008 and you pay on engine size
    All used hand imports first registered from 1st Jan 2008 automatically go on the Co2 tax system when they are registered here.

Same question, two different answers. This is my conundrum. I'll contact the motor tax brigade and clarify it with them

Same question, two different answers. This is my conundrum. I'll contact the motor tax brigade and clarify it with them

I know plenty of people who brought in early 2008 cars and they were all taxed on the new co2 tax system.

I know plenty of people who brought in early 2008 cars and they were all taxed on the new co2 tax system.

Did they have the option to choose CC or CO2 as the basis for their tax?

• Advertisement

Did they have the option to choose CC or CO2 as the basis for their tax?

No they were automatically put on the co2 system for them.

The only case where I could see them putting it on the older cc based tax system is where you imported a car that had a crazy high co2 rating where it was cheaper to tax it on the older cc system but people generally don't import those sort of cars.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement