Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

I won my appeal against their OMSP valuation for a car I recently imported from the UK. In my case, there was no other identical spec car registered in Ireland. Mine was the first one for that year (2008). Unsurprisingly, the VRT quote I got on the day I went to pay was several hundred euro higher then expected, but I had no choice but to pay.

To dispute the OMSP, I sent my letter stating why I felt it was too high along with several print outs illustrating how much the the same make/model of car sold for in the UK. Inclusive of this, I also included a printed list of all the same make and model from carzone, but none of which were the same model/engine/spec.

They must have accepted my argument was reasonable and considered in their decision the list of UK cars I sent in my appeal. I received a cheque for €350 in the post yesterday (only took 5 weeks!). I had 0 confidence my claim would even be entertained when I sent it in but it was worth the shot. I'm glad I did now, a free years tax + service :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 whaddyaknow

I would like to import from the UK a car that is currently owned by a family member who is heading to Australia for a while. She would like to retain ownership of the car while abroad. Does anyone know if I can I import the car to Ireland, and then VRT it, insure it in my name without actually changing its ownership?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I would like to import from the UK a car that is currently owned by a family member who is heading to Australia for a while. She would like to retain ownership of the car while abroad. Does anyone know if I can I import the car to Ireland, and then VRT it, insure it in my name without actually changing its ownership?

The whole premise is that the car is being permanently exported from the UK.
    What you're saying just doesn't make sense- as you'd have what could be significant VRT to pay- and you can be certain you'd not get it rebated when you brought the car back to the UK (when your sister got back from Australia).
    Also- you can't insure something without owning it- as you have no personal stake in it (dates back to Victorian times- when people used insure cargo boats randomly- in the expectation that a not insignificant number of them would sink..........

So- no, is the short and simple- it wouldn't work.

Second hand car prices here have tumbled- your best bet may be to buy second hand here- and leave your sis's car in the UK (or if she has no-where to store it- sell it- as it just doesn't add up her expecting to get the car back down the road and carry on with it as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭din0saur

Have a read of this..

http://www.derryjournal.com/news/courts/customs-officers-were-not-entitled-to-seize-car-for-vrt-1-6305338

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just a note regarding the OMSP. Revenue do not care what similar cars are asking or selling for in other countries. They will calculate it on what they think it's market value is here. If you think their valuation of the OMSP here is too high then the only way is to appeal it after you first pay their VRT valuation but you need to show them examples of cheaper models being sold here, not NI or the UK.

Just recently paid the VRT on a car which I feel was overpriced on the OMSP. I think ill appeal it, just for pig Iron so was wondering, for those that have succesfully done this, what evidence did you provide? Was it just print offs from done deal and adverts.ie? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Robertr wrote: »
    To be honest, a bit of both. I only buy cars that I like so that I don't mind holding on to them and I usually sell them on after a few months. I only do it as a hobbie so I don't mind sharing my knowledge with everyone.

I have a website (see signature) where I offer to do it, but its nothing that serious. I would encourage people to do it themelves.

I guess if you had the time and money you could probably make a living at it but I've got bigger fish to fry! :D

Do you have any experience importing a car under the disabled drivers scheme?
    Vrt and Vat seems to be exempt

Thanks to The Conductor and dinOsaur. I guess I could have been clearer in my opener: the family member doesn't want the car anymore and I'd like to bring it to Ireland and keep it here without the hassle of change-of-ownership paperwork at the UK end. I envisaged that the car would still be owned by her but I'd fly to the UK and drive it back here, VRT it, tax & insure it by me. The car wouldn't ever be going back to the UK. At some later stage I'd transfer the ownership from her to me. Would Revenue (VRT boys) accept this approach?

If you are VRTing the car here then it has to be registered to somebody here with an Irish PPS number.

Thanks bazz26. I'm beginning to get a clearer understanding of the situation. Yes, I have a PPS and am resident in ireland.

• Advertisement

Well if the family member wants to keep ownership of it here then it needs to be registered in their name but they would need to be resident here already or would need to transfer residency here. Also insurance companies here insist in you having an insurable interest in the car before giving you a policy. To have an insurable interest you would need to be the registered owner or be the spouse of the registered owner.

Being honest it would be a lot easier to just take or buy the car from the family member with the UK V5 registration documents and just VRT/register it in your own name here. Since the car is never going back to the UK or the family member doesn't want it back I don't see any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

There is no UK change of ownership involved, your sister gives you the full V5, she may inform the DVLA by letter if she wishes, it's not nessesary as they will know when the V5 is returned to them by the VRT office.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lacee1986

Hello,

I just purchased a Nissan Qashqai from Northern Ireland last week. The dealer did the regitration process for VRT, so I picked up the car this Monday with irish plates.

How long is it takes to get the certificate by post?
    Can I use the car until I don't have NCT and Road tax?

Also, the first page doesn't mention the NCT, so the way to get everything sorted looks like this:

Buy Car --> VRT --> Insurance --> Get cert by post --> Tax --> NCT

You need to tax the car first before the vehicle registration cert is issued by Shannon. An Irish vehicle registration cert will not be issued on a newly registered imported car until it is taxed first.

You should be able to tax the car online using the last 6 digits of the car's VIN as the PIN on the motortax.ie website. If that doesn't work then use the PIN request function there.

You need to tax the car first before the vehicle registration cert is issued by Shannon. An Irish vehicle registration cert will not be issued on a newly registered imported car until it is taxed first.

You should be able to tax the car online using the last 6 digits of the car's VIN as the PIN on the motortax.ie website. If that doesn't work then use the PIN request function there.

Thanks you so much for this. I just payed the tax this way.

My only problem is the NCT, my car isn't showing up on the website.

It might take a few days for the NCT system to get an update from the Shannon system. Keep checking is my advice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

When I did the VRT, I got a slip of paper saying I could tax it under the new reg within 24 hours. It was closer to 72 hours before the system recognised the Irish plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭chewed

lacee1986 wrote: »
    Hello,

I just purchased a Nissan Qashqai from Northern Ireland last week. The dealer did the regitration process for VRT, so I picked up the car this Monday with irish plates.

Out of curiosity, did the dealer charge you extra for this process? Is it common for dealers in NI to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

When I did the VRT, I got a slip of paper saying I could tax it under the new reg within 24 hours. It was closer to 72 hours before the system recognised the Irish plate.

Thanks you so much for this. I just payed the tax this way.

My only problem is the NCT, my car isn't showing up on the website.

When I VRT'd my own car a few months back, the lady at the office told me it would be about 10-14 days before the car would appear on the NCT database. I checked after 10 and it was there. My advice would be to carry the VRT papers with you in the car until you get it tested so that you can show it to any guard who might ask you about the lack of NCT.

chewed wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, did the dealer charge you extra for this process? Is it common for dealers in NI to do this?

No, they didn't charge anything. Also, I could pay with euro instead of pounds.

@darragh o meara: My car showed up on the NCTS website, I booked my test for tomorrow evening. I'm so silly, I totally forget about my reg certificate, so I can't take the car without it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

No, they didn't charge anything. Also, I could pay with euro instead of pounds.

@darragh o meara: My car showed up on the NCTS website, I booked my test for tomorrow evening. I'm so silly, I totally forget about my reg certificate, so I can't take the car without it.
    They will test the car without the VRC, but won't issue the NCT cert until you present it.

aujopimur wrote: »
    They will test the car without the VRC, but won't issue the NCT cert until you present it.

Good to know, so I don't have to pay the retest!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭4motion

Hi can someone tell me the best and safe way to pay for a car in uk i pounds? Thanks

4motion wrote: »
    Hi can someone tell me the best and safe way to pay for a car in uk i pounds? Thanks

EFT- do not give anyone cash.

Use Transferwise, it's really quick and safe.

Use Transferwise, it's really quick and safe.
    Thanks but how fast it is? If i will go to dealer and want to pay for a car i will login and transfer eur->pound when he will get it?

Thanks but how fast it is? If i will go to dealer and want to pay for a car i will login and transfer eur->pound when he will get it?

10-15 minutes. Its not instantaneous- but it is fast.

10-15 minutes. Its not instantaneous- but it is fast.

Thanks a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 FUTY2211

Hi,

I'm trying to fill out the VRTVPD2 form for my inspection tomorrow and it's asking for the VAT amount but the invoice doesn't state what the VAT amount on the car is... anyone else had this experience and how did they get around it??

Thanks a million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭bf

Just put your purchase price in the relevant box, you don't need to worry about the VAT element

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement