Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

FUTY2211 wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm trying to fill out the VRTVPD2 form for my inspection tomorrow and it's asking for the VAT amount but the invoice doesn't state what the VAT amount on the car is... anyone else had this experience and how did they get around it??

Thanks a million.

Just put down purchase price,No need to put VAT on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

don't want to start a new thread but just have a question with regard to uk imports.

In people's view, what type of cars represent the greatest level of savings relative to the irish market? or is it just the much wider choice which attracts people?

for example I was looking at bmw 1 series from 14-15. Not a single second hand petrol engine is available in Ireland, yet in the UK there is pleanty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

j4vier wrote: »
    don't want to start a new thread but just have a question with regard to uk imports.

In people's view, what type of cars represent the greatest level of savings relative to the irish market? or is it just the much wider choice which attracts people?

for example I was looking at bmw 1 series from 14-15. Not a single second hand petrol engine is available in Ireland, yet in the UK there is pleanty

I just put a deposit down on a 320D Efficient Dynamics subject to the all clear from an inspection from Dekra on Monday.

If it all goes well with that then I'll have bought a 320D with 35k miles and fully loaded with extras (leather, Sat Nav, Bluetooth, Automaticm Active Cruise Control + more) for about €16.5k.

The emissions on that car are only 109 g/kg so VRT is the lower rate of 16%. I'm expecting it to be 4.4k.

All in about €22.3k after flights, trains, ferries, VRT & NCT, plates etc.

I think that's a great saving compared to buying in Ireland where the prices are ranging €28k and up for cars that don't have as many extras.

This is a particularly good car to import because it's been tuned for lower emissions (by reducing BHP amongst other things) and that results in a lower VRT to import.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Benny77

Just wondering the general feedback from people when it comes to buying a car from a dealer in U.K. - do people organise a few trips to look at a few cars then come back to make the purchase or do you commit having checked it online and either get an RAC/AA check on the day they pick it up?

Benny77 wrote: »
    Just wondering the general feedback from people when it comes to buying a car from a dealer in U.K. - do people organise a few trips to look at a few cars then come back to make the purchase or do you commit having checked it online and either get an RAC/AA check on the day they pick it up?

In the process of doing so now and you definitely want the inspection done prior to going over. This allows you to back out if something serious, or for the dealer to remedy any minor issues that are identified.

The dealer would look for a small deposit to hold the car until it can be inspected. Be sure to state (in email or writing) that the deposit is subject to all clear from inspection.

I went with Dekra who gave a comprehensive inspection for £182. They identified a few things like an oil leak, worn tyres etc so definitely worth getting done.

I rang RAC and they wanted £162 for a basic inspection so definitely more expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Benny77

John_Mc wrote: »

In the process of doing so now and you definitely want the inspection done prior to going over. This allows you to back out if something serious, or for the dealer to remedy any minor issues that are identified.

The dealer would look for a small deposit to hold the car until it can be inspected. Be sure to state (in email or writing) that the deposit is subject to all clear from inspection.

I went with Dekra who gave a comprehensive inspection for 182. They identified a few things like an oil leak, worn tyres etc so definitely worth getting done.

I rang RAC and they wanted 162 for a basic inspection so definitely more expensive.

So to confirm, you reckon, find the car model and spec you want, organise an inspection via Dekra on your behalf without traveling to the uk? Thanks

So to confirm, you reckon, find the car model and spec you want, organise an inspection via Dekra on your behalf without traveling to the uk? Thanks

Yeah pretty much, but you'd obviously call the dealer and ask him any questions you'd have. You would also look up the MOT history (if applicable) and run a check on the car for write off, stolen, finance etc, before getting Dekra out.

FYI, the comprehensive inspection with them was £182 = €220, so you'd only do it as the last step. You'll get a full break down of the current state of the car though. They'll probably see more issues than you would on the forecourt.

Another FYI with Dekra, they are busy right now and it can take a few days before the inspection can be scheduled so you should factor that in when planning things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

imported a car from northrry Ireland and have the nct visit tomorrow to calculate the vrt. the car is in my name but i am getting it difficult to get off work. will my wife be able to attend on my behalf and would she need to bring her id drivers license etc

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭pcasso

I am hoping to buy a second car up north for my Wife/son to use.
    However I have spoken to the AA, the insurers of our main car and they said that they cannot insure the car with UK plates because it is a new policy until it is re registered with Irish ones.
    Has any body else encountered this problem and if so how do you get the car with UK plates to the test centre for inspection and
    re-registeration?
    I wouldn't be prepared to drive the car uninsured.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I just moved my policy to my new car - strange they cant do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

pcasso wrote: »
    I am hoping to buy a second car up north for my Wife/son to use.
    However I have spoken to the AA, the insurers of our main car and they said that they cannot insure the car with UK plates because it is a new policy until it is re registered with Irish ones.
    Has any body else encountered this problem and if so how do you get the car with UK plates to the test centre for inspection and
    re-registeration?
    I wouldn't be prepared to drive the car uninsured.
    Thanks
    It's a few years ago now but Axa insured me in that situation. I had recently moved back to Ireland so didn't have an existing insurance policy. I gave Axa the UK reg number and VIN and they insured the car for a year before I went up to Belfast to collect it. The insurance certificate Axa gave me listing the UK reg was only valid for one month even though I'd paid for the full year. I had to come back with details of the Irish reg within that month in order to get a new certificate valid for the full year.
    Mc Love wrote: »
    I just moved my policy to my new car - strange they cant do that.
    He's getting a second car, not replacing his main car, so I would guess he wants to keep his existing policy going rather than transferring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭pcasso

Cheers for the replies lads.
    The main issue is as stated that it is a new policy rather than changing car on an existing one.
    anyways, it appears that there are a few of the insurers that are able to insure the car temporarily with UK plates on for a limited time.
    However, and I am not sure if it is simply because of the UK plates issue and the limited competition the quotes are very high.
    Ah well, gain on the swings, lose on the roundabouts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

pcasso wrote: »
    Cheers for the replies lads.
    The main issue is as stated that it is a new policy rather than changing car on an existing one.
    anyways, it appears that there are a few of the insurers that are able to insure the car temporarily with UK plates on for a limited time.
    However, and I am not sure if it is simply because of the UK plates issue and the limited competition the quotes are very high.
    Ah well, gain on the swings, lose on the roundabouts.

Why not transfer the existing policy on the main car to the new UK car for 7 days and drive it home. When you get home, reverse it, and take out a new policy ion the second car. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Guys, hoping someone can be of help here. Bought a car in the UK at the start of August and have it here now.
    Bought in a garage and the salesman gave me a slip from the V5C form and said he had to send the rest away to the DVLA.
    I still have received nothing from the DVLA, and its 7 weeks since I bought the car. I cant pay the VRT on the car here until I get the VRT.
    Contacted the DVLA and I got sent this reply
    Thank you for your email received on 20/9/16. Your email reference number is 000000.

We are unable to trace an application for a V5C Registration Certificate in your name.

It is not possible to send a V5C UK Registration Certificate outside the mainland UK. You can apply for an export certificate by filling in Application for Certificate of Permanent Export form V756 (which you can download from www.gov.uk/taking-vehicles-out-of-uk) and returning to the address below:

DVLA
    Swansea
    SA99 1AG

Fax: 01792 788378

You will receive your V561 Export Certificate within 6 weeks.

Getting anxious as Im 2 months on UK plates and it looks like im weeks away from getting it VRT'd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Guys, hoping someone can be of help here. Bought a car in the UK at the start of August and have it here now.
    Bought in a garage and the salesman gave me a slip from the V5C form and said he had to send the rest away to the DVLA.
    I still have received nothing from the DVLA, and its 7 weeks since I bought the car. I cant pay the VRT on the car here until I get the VRT.

The salesman was wrong, apply for the export cert, that will do for the VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Tomjim wrote: »
    imported a car from northrry Ireland and have the nct visit tomorrow to calculate the vrt. the car is in my name but i am getting it difficult to get off work. will my wife be able to attend on my behalf and would she need to bring her id drivers license etc

No problem, she will need photo ID.

aujopimur wrote: »

The salesman was wrong, apply for the export cert, that will do for the VRT.

Yeah the DVLA have just informed me of that now. Clown. I even said to him the day I got the car that Id keep that and he said no he needs to send it away! The export cert will take long I assume :(

Is there a date that the VRT has to be done by? Its looking like I could be on english plates for 3-4 months in total

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

aujopimur wrote: »

Is there a date that the VRT has to be done by? Its looking like I could be on english plates for 3-4 months in total

Within 30days AFAIK, after that subject to Revenue fines.....

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

slave1 wrote: »

Seizure is actually more likely.

slave1 wrote: »

Oh ****.
    What are the fines. This is through no fault of my own so surely I wont be fined will I :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yeah the DVLA have just informed me of that now. Clown. I even said to him the day I got the car that Id keep that and he said no he needs to send it away! The export cert will take long I assume :(

You are supposed to make a VRT appointment with the NCTS within 7 days of bringing the car into the country and then you are supposed to complete the registration process within 30 days.

Info is available here:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/vrt-guide.html#section2

I did make a VRT appointment straight away when I got into the country with the car. Went to the appointment but was told Id need the full V5C form. That was sent off by my garage and the DVLA told me to wait 4 weeks.
    The DVLA have now told me that they cant send the V5C form to Ireland, that I need a a V756 certificate of export. But that will take another 4 weeks.
    Im really panicking here now.
    It will be 10 weeks from when I took the car into the country until I get the Certificate of export.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭Soarer

Get the garage to contact the DVLA to explain. It's better/quicker if the seller contacts them to explain the car has been exported, as opposed to some random person saying they exported the car.

Soarer wrote: »
    Get the garage to contact the DVLA to explain. It's better/quicker if the seller contacts them to explain the car has been exported, as opposed to some random person saying they exported the car.

Got them to do it now. Head is fried over this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I did make a VRT appointment straight away when I got into the country with the car. Went to the appointment but was told Id need the full V5C form. That was sent off by my garage and the DVLA told me to wait 4 weeks.
    The DVLA have now told me that they cant send the V5C form to Ireland, that I need a a V756 certificate of export. But that will take another 4 weeks.
    It will be 10 weeks from when I took the car into the country until I get the Certificate of export.

might be an idea to take a day trip to the UK on the ferry, that way you have a new date of entry for the car in the country and proof to back it up. Just say you went back to UK when you found out there was an issue with the V5.

Not exactly ethical but it may help, I've done it in the past myself and it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,889 ✭✭✭Soarer

might be an idea to take a day trip to the UK on the ferry, that way you have a new date of entry for the car in the country and proof to back it up. Just say you went back to UK when you found out there was an issue with the V5.

Not exactly ethical but it may help, I've done it in the past myself and it worked.

Or save yourself the cash and edit your original booking?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

Quick question -

I've vrt'd and taxed the car - will it appear on the NCT database in a few days or do I have to bring them the reg. doc when I get it and have it inputted manually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

send that garage a bill for any extra costs incurred. It is clearly set out on the DVLA website what the procedure is and as a professional he should have known this.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

td2008 wrote: »
    Quick question -

I've vrt'd and taxed the car - will it appear on the NCT database in a few days or do I have to bring them the reg. doc when I get it and have it inputted manually.

They say it can take up to 28 days- typically its there in 3-4 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

td2008 wrote: »
    Quick question -

It can take a few weeks before the car appears in the NCT database but it should appear automatically. All you can do really is keep inputting the registration on the NCT website.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement