Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Whats the quickest way to pay by ETF, I seen a poster who user transferwise, and they were saying it take 15 minutes, but another told me it takes 3 - 4 days, anyone got an idea, looking to pay for a car tomorrow and dont want to do a sterling draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭dubrov

JJJJNR wrote:
    Whats the quickest way to pay by ETF, I seen a poster who user transferwise, and they were saying it take 15 minutes, but another told me it takes 3 - 4 days, anyone got an idea, looking to pay for a car tomorrow and dont want to do a sterling draft.

I think debit card is the quickest way. I think banks can only charge a max of 11 euro or so on the transaction using a fair exchange rate. Best to check with your card issuer first though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Hope someone can advise on this. I am buying a car from a dealer that brought it in from the UK. It's an estate and a premium model. I inspected the car and viewed the UK registration document/log book.

It clearly indicated the model and hadn't been registered yet in Ireland. I decided to purchase it off the dealer and paid a deposit. I am due to finalise payment and pick up car next week.

However, the dealer forwarded Irish reg number today along with the PIN for the motor tax. When I went to pay the Irish car tax, in advance of picking the car up, it indicated a completely different model from the same manufacturer.

I now smell a rat.....how could a different model be confirmed on the Irish registration that was on the UK log book? The Irish VRT process involves an inspection and a reconciliation of the UK log book with the actual vehicle.

I am being vague on the make and model as wish to have some degree of discretion on this.

Would appreciate some advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Get the dealer to verify with Shannon that the information he supplied was correct, it's very possible either the dealer gave wrong information or the person in Shannon who entered it got it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

finisklin wrote: »
    Hope someone can advise on this. I am buying a car from a dealer that brought it in from the UK. It's an estate and a premium model. I inspected the car and viewed the UK registration document/log book.

It clearly indicated the model and hadn't been registered yet in Ireland. I decided to purchase it off the dealer and paid a deposit. I am due to finalise payment and pick up car next week.

However, the dealer forwarded Irish reg number today along with the PIN for the motor tax. When I went to pay the Irish car tax, in advance of picking the car up, it indicated a completely different model from the same manufacturer.

I now smell a rat.....how could a different model be confirmed on the Irish registration that was on the UK log book? The Irish VRT process involves an inspection and a reconciliation of the UK log book with the actual vehicle.

I am being vague on the make and model as wish to have some degree of discretion on this.

Would appreciate some advice.

Very possibly crapness on the part of the office in Shannon. I brought two cars in this year and had a fight with them over the designation of one of them. While it has all the words, their ordering is such that it suggests it's a different model.

If your issue is it's an A6 described as an A4 then you have an issue. If you they gave it ousted as Audi Sportine TDI A Quattro 6 then I'd worry less. Once they set up their codes - based on their interpretation of the model name - it's set in stone. Even though mine required the creation of a new statistical code (ie one had never been registered before), they still would not correct it to the proper ordering of the name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

It's probably an error in information in rereg process, if the dealer has a TAN no., no vehicle inspection would needed, as it's done online.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

hi just looking for a bit of advice really .
    the op's post way back in 2004 said that not all cars were worth bringing in especially when you take into account all costs

i have been looking at bringing in a car from the uk thats obviously cheaper but the vrt calculations while estimates are about 4.5 k when the car i am bringing in is only about 15-16 k ,when all other costs are added the margin i would be saving seems very minor plus am being left with my own car to sell privately which could take any length of time
    so in short ,is it simply not worth it sometimes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

hi just looking for a bit of advice really .
    the op's post way back in 2004 said that not all cars were worth bringing in especially when you take into account all costs

i have been looking at bringing in a car from the uk thats obviously cheaper but the vrt calculations while estimates are about 4.5 k when the car i am bringing in is only about 15-16 k ,when all other costs are added the margin i would be saving seems very minor plus am being left with my own car to sell privately which could take any length of time
    so in short ,is it simply not worth it sometimes?
    I wouldn't think so, I've brought 2 cars in the past 6 months and saved a lot on both, Both cars were Passats and much higher specs than available over here. On one of the cars I saved approx 3 grand and have a car that had extras that even the main dealer was impressed with, they had never seen that model with those extras :)

The second car saved me about 2500 and again had a nice spec that is rarely seen on Irish cars.

In my opinion, yes its worth it. But you do need to know what you want and how much your willing to pay.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I'd echo what Darragh has said- very often its all to do with the specs/trim/line of the vehicle you intend to import. The headline 'saving' very often- is more than the actual amount of cash you're better off. Personally, at the moment- I see good value in a lot of high enough milege 2-3 year old lux diesel models- the mileage drives down the price (and indeed the VRT)- but as long as you have a good service record, recent replacement of chains/belts etc- you can get a real bargain.

I was looking at importing a well spec'ed Passat recently- but leapt at a very nice S-Line A6 that had previously been imported by a family member who was emigrating.

Shop around- and another thing- Irish second hand prices have taken a significant nose dive in the last 8-12 weeks- there are really nice examples even on the Irish market- if you're willing to the effort in to track them down (or if you get lucky- as I recently did).

Revenue haven't updated their Irish prices to the extent that they reflect the carnage in the Irish second hand market that has occurred since the recent fall in sterling- I'm not sure how often they do so- but a 10-20% reduction in Revenue valuations is entirely plausible in my opinion- which could change the dynamics of imports once again- at the moment we're gorging on cheap sterling imports- however, if national prices fall considerably on Revenue's databases- that saving will increase even more- though, the selection on the market here- will surely vastly improve too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭yannakis

Question.. Looking to make an booking for VRT on a potential UK purchase, and the first date available around Dublin is 10 Oct. This contradicts with the direction of registering the vehicle within 1 working day from purchase. Any ideas how we go about it?

• Advertisement

YanisK wrote: »
    Question.. Looking to make an booking for VRT on a potential UK purchase, and the first date available around Dublin is 10 Oct. This contradicts with the direction of registering the vehicle within 1 working day from purchase. Any ideas how we go about it?

I'll answer my own question here :D:D:rolleyes:

An appointment to have your vehicle inspected must be made within 7 days of the vehicle entering the State in order to register and pay the VRT (and any other tax liabilities due on the vehicle). You must then complete the registration process within 30 days of arriving in the State. Source: www.ncts.ie/#collapse-one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I'd echo what Darragh has said- very often its all to do with the specs/trim/line of the vehicle you intend to import. The headline 'saving' very often- is more than the actual amount of cash you're better off. Personally, at the moment- I see good value in a lot of high enough milege 2-3 year old lux diesel models- the mileage drives down the price (and indeed the VRT)- but as long as you have a good service record, recent replacement of chains/belts etc- you can get a real bargain.

I was looking at importing a well spec'ed Passat recently- but leapt at a very nice S-Line A6 that had previously been imported by a family member who was emigrating.

Shop around- and another thing- Irish second hand prices have taken a significant nose dive in the last 8-12 weeks- there are really nice examples even on the Irish market- if you're willing to the effort in to track them down (or if you get lucky- as I recently did).

Revenue haven't updated their Irish prices to the extent that they reflect the carnage in the Irish second hand market that has occurred since the recent fall in sterling- I'm not sure how often they do so- but a 10-20% reduction in Revenue valuations is entirely plausible in my opinion- which could change the dynamics of imports once again- at the moment we're gorging on cheap sterling imports- however, if national prices fall considerably on Revenue's databases- that saving will increase even more- though, the selection on the market here- will surely vastly improve too.

Just beware if going down the "Sourcing in Ireland" route. There are a lot of cars for sale on donedeal ( usually still on UK plates ) that are being brought in to the country and clocked. There are also a good few VRT'd cars for sale that are also clocked so it pays to do your homework and checks beforehand see thread https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057335812

If your unsure about a car, you can do a report on one of the motor check sites that will be able to identify a UK import and more importantly know the details and history before it came to Ireland. I almost got caught with a focus that had been a Cat C writeoff in the UK, to look at the car youd have never known.. but you can be sure your insurer would!!!!

Guys can you help with this final step? :) What documents shall I expect to come with the car when buying from a UK dealer?

Currently my list includes:
    - Service book
    - Written warranty
    - Signed receipt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

The most important document is the V5C registration document. You will need this to register the car here. Don't let the seller send it off to the DVLA. You need to take it with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Denisoftus

Did you mean the form in full, or just Part 10 - V5C/2? I suppose the seller needs the rest to apply for "export" with DVLA, right?

Never mind, looks like they need the full form V5C, UK dealers don't have a clue, why not put it on VRT requirements site, so customers are aware what to bring back from UK :(?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Denisoftus wrote: »
    Never mind, looks like they need the full form V5C, UK dealers don't have a clue, why not put it on VRT requirements site, so customers are aware what to bring back from UK :(?

Just to clarify - "they" above means the buyer, not the seller. The buyer (exporter) takes the V5C.

The procedure is detailed on the DVLA website if the seller/dealer thinks otherwise.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Harcrid

I have always told the UK seller in advance that I will be taking the full V5c document with me and I refer them to the DVLA website so they can research it and be comfortable with handing it over before I get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Guys can you help with this final step? :) What documents shall I expect to come with the car when buying from a UK dealer?

Currently my list includes:
    - Service book
    - Written warranty
    - Signed receipt

the full V5C. you'll have a world of pain if you don't get this from the dealer. Don't listen to him if he says he must send it, it is all set out on the DVLA website. He must give it to you

Thank you all for the replies! Dealer is very sound, I think I was over-worried for no reason :D
    the full V5C. you'll have a world of pain if you don't get this from the dealer. Don't listen to him if he says he must send it, it is all set out on the DVLA website. He must give it to you

All good, V5C is with me now :) VRT appointment booked. Is there a way to book NCT before getting the Irish plates?

• Advertisement

Thank you all for the replies! Dealer is very sound, I think I was over-worried for no reason :D

All good, V5C is with me now :) VRT appointment booked. Is there a way to book NCT before getting the Irish plates?

No you cannot book a NCT if the car hasn't been registered on Irish plates yet. Once you get that it can take between a few days and a week or two before the car's registration is uploaded on the NCT system.

bazz26 wrote: »
    No you cannot book a NCT if the car hasn't been registered on Irish plates yet. Once you get that it can take between a few days and a week or two before the car's registration is uploaded on the NCT system.

Thank you. I guess it'll be ok at a checkpoint providing proof of the VRT payment (interim) or upcoming NCT booking, right? :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Thank you. I guess it'll be ok at a checkpoint providing proof of the VRT payment (interim) or upcoming NCT booking, right? :pac:

Most Gardaí are reasonable- and providing you can show that its in progress, and you have made every effort to do your best- won't push the point. Technically- you're in breach of the law- however, in cases like this, they tend to turn a blind eye. Don't rely on it however- do your utmost to normalise the situation asap.

Don't rely on it however- do your utmost to normalise the situation asap.

Of course it is a priority. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I kept a copy of the VRT booking confirmation in the car until it was registered, and also left it on the dashboard (personal details removed) when parked in public places as I know how suspicious some people can be with UK reg cars. I didn't get stopped but hopefully it would have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

I'm going over to collect a 131 BMW 320D on Saturday and just looking at the potential cost of upgrades for VRT. The car has leather, Sat Nav and a load of other features.

I just went to the BMW website and built a car spec using the same features and to buy it today the only thing that would cost extra is metalic paint and automatic transmission.

I'm not sure if these options would have been standard back in 2013 though. Does anyone know if revenue calculate the options based on what is the standard spec at the time of registration, or what it would have been when the car was originally purchased?

Also, do they definitely depreciate the options over 4 years? So I would be paying the VRT rate on 25% of the calculated cost of options?

Thanks

@John_Mc From my research, you have to pay whatever VRT they come up with, but it's possible to appeal afterwards.

From www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/vrt-appeals.html
    your opinion of the arm’s length retail value, including VRT and VAT, of the vehicle in the Republic of Ireland, at the time the VRT was charged
    copies of VRT and VAT inclusive advertisements by dealers in the Republic of Ireland for similar vehicles relevant to the time that the VRT was charged

Save a few adds from carzone as .pdf to be prepared, and fingers crossed :)

John_Mc wrote: »
    I'm going over to collect a 131 BMW 320D on Saturday and just looking at the potential cost of upgrades for VRT. The car has leather, Sat Nav and a load of other features.

I just went to the BMW website and built a car spec using the same features and to buy it today the only thing that would cost extra is metalic paint and automatic transmission.

I'm not sure if these options would have been standard back in 2013 though. Does anyone know if revenue calculate the options based on what is the standard spec at the time of registration, or what it would have been when the car was originally purchased?

Also, do they definitely depreciate the options over 4 years? So I would be paying the VRT rate on 25% of the calculated cost of options?

Thanks

You cannot compare a 2012 spec model with a brand new model as the spec has changed a good bit in 4 years. Leather seats are standard on the 3 Series these days as is sat nav but were costly options back in 2012. VRT is charged on extras on cars upto 4 years old. Check the date of first registration on the car, if it's greater than it's 4th anniversary then it's very unlikely they will charge you any VRT on the extras, worst case you might be charged the VRT rate on 25% of their original value as they depreciate the value of the extras over the first 4 years of the car.

Esel wrote: »
    Just to clarify - "they"

Sorry, by "they" I mean VRT people at NCT center.

• Advertisement

Harcrid wrote: »
    I have always told the UK seller in advance that I will be taking the full V5c document with me and I refer them to the DVLA website so they can research it and be comfortable with handing it over before I get there.

Seller can now register the "sale" with DVLA online and don't need to post the form. From DVLA site:

https://www.gov.uk/sold-bought-vehicle/y/yes/sold-a-vehicle-out-of-the-trade
    1.Give the green ‘new keeper’s details’ slip (V5C/2) from the log book to the buyer.
    2.Tell DVLA you’ve sold the vehicle using this service.
    3.Destroy the rest of the log book.

So instead of destroying the book, the seller can just give it to you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement